Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Gary is back!

What are your thoughts?

Jonas Ukulore
Rowley Birkin, QC fan.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jonas Ukulore » 4 years ago

Happy! Not much of a Standard player, but I, for one, welcome the return of our devotion overlord. (Has never been away in Commander, actually)
Commanders:
WB Psycho Cultleader BWGU Deranged Boy and Dental Imagination UG
WUB Creepy Girl BUWURG Big Thing GRUWUB Your Deck = My Deck BUW
WG Hatebear Angel GWWBR Bounty-filled Pillowfort RBW

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

I approve. Appropriately upshifted to uncommon. I prefer the original art, but solid card is solid card
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

I think it sets a standard for how powerful devotion will be. I'm looking forward to seeing the other devotion cards knowing that this is an acceptable level.

I also like the card.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

ohh damm hes back. One of my all time favourite cards is back.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

I still never understood how the art and flavor and any of what is on this card works together.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
I still never understood how the art and flavor and any of what is on this card works together.
Gary actually tells a sad, nonspecific story.

The returned have no memories of their previous lives, but remember all of their old skills and trades. Last time on Theros there was a story about a returned smith who went to a forge out of instinctual habit, but couldn't recognize his own daughter before him. All that he had from before was his basic skill and drive, and nothing more. He eventually left for Asphodel - a necropolis filled with the returned.

Gary was previously a merchant, possibly even a wealthy, renown tradesmen who amassed a great deal with a large family, friends, and maybe even a political life. But now that he's returned, he is but a hollow reflection of the merchant he used to be, and nothing more. He trades with other cities on behalf of Asphodel, because that instinctual memory is all he still has. It's his sole purpose in life, but it's just a mechanical drive from his former life, with no real meaning.

In this new art, we see that he's dropped a large bag of gold behind him, worth some large untold amount of money. It doesn't even register with him. What he once craved and valued so dearly in life is completely insignificant to him now. This scene echoes his entire returned life: he goes through the motions of being a merchant, but only as some heartless shadow of what he once was.

As to mechanically speaking, his ability and concept is simliar to Orzhov's Extort Ability. As you amass more devotion to black, possibly also more power in Asphodel, his ability to trade increases. Although meaningless to him, he still amasses "wealth" that benefits you. You could also posture that some of his merchant "trading" could be coercive, stealing, etc - so long as it basically fulfills the mercantile mechanics he remembers. This would be closer to the Extortion ability that his life drain resembles.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

THAT was extremely helpful. Thanks!!!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

It's good to have him back, and even though I prefer the original art, this one's still pretty darn nice looking.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”