Info on ikoria

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

(Not sure if previews is the right form for this.)
(And yes Aware we're getting more info about ikoria before theros)

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/445 ... oduct-line

Basicly the package bundles and commander decks from earlier but the pre-release part has something new
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths Prerelease Pack. Prerelease Packs are for Prerelease events, are allocated, and come 18 per case. Each kit contains 6 Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths booster packs, a foil promo-stamped rare or mythic rare from Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, a Spindown life counter, a set of double-sided keyword counters, and a MTG Arena code card (Code card available only in certain regions).
That's probably what maro was talking about a crazy mechanic

What it's looking like is the other theme besides kaijus of the set is keywords and these counters is probably what keywords are added to your kaiju since maro said it's about building monsters and easily this can be used outside kaijus (all creatures printed threw out history of magic)

Thoughts?

Maluko
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

I hope this means they finally found a good way to reference keyword abilities, and cards like Rayami, First of the Fallen, Odric, Lunarch Marshal and Soulflayer no longer need to have such big walls of text. That's something that has been bothering me since forever, and I'm surprised it's taking Wizards so long to fix it.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Maluko wrote:
4 years ago
I hope this means they finally found a good way to reference keyword abilities, and cards like Rayami, First of the Fallen, Odric, Lunarch Marshal and Soulflayer no longer need to have such big walls of text. That's something that has been bothering me since forever, and I'm surprised it's taking Wizards so long to fix it.
I don't see how these would be connected. It sounds more like we'll get spells and abilities that have "Put a menace counter on target creature." as part of their effect to support the "build your own monster"-theme.

That's a mechanic I can live with. I was advocating counter cards in boosters for longer than we had token cards. : )

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

If putting keyword counters are the "crazy new big deal" I'll be pretty unimpressed. Its basically not a new thing, we have plenty of cards (spells, creatures, pretty much everything) that grant keywords. Just because I can put a paper counter on it seems pretty lame. It sounds like a "tracking" issue fix for us dummies who cant remember board states.

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I was thinking more like Brick counters from Amonkhet.... except for new keywords.

I don't think they would make physical counters to track abilities. Like, is that going to be a theme at common? Turn my bear into a giant flampling monster?

I think it will be more like: Keyword X: For each X counter on CREATURE NAME, do 'effect'. And then Keyword Y: For each Y counter on creatures you control, 'effect'. The only reason to have keyword counters is if there are so many counters they cannot be tracked normally. Amonkhet had bricks and -1/-1 counters (and loyalty counters), and I never used them because they were never on the same permanents.
But I think we will need to use them here...

The other things I can see, because they are double sided, is a kind of 'Khans' and 'Dragons' token which would have been nice for Dragons of Tarkir
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Avoozl

Post by Avoozl » 4 years ago

Or something like Monstrous or Eternalized/Embalmed abilities that can only happen once, hence require a tracking marker (especially if there are other power changing themes so simple counters aren't enough).

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

Imagine something like:
This creature enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters.
As this creature enters the battlefield you may choose any number of abilities between Y, Z, AA, this creatures enter the battlefield with those abilities, but with that many less +1/+1 counters.

If that was the case, I would welcome the counters with open arms.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Pip_Maxwell

Post by Pip_Maxwell » 4 years ago

Perhaps its similar to the playtest card from the mystery boosters?
https://scryfall.com/card/cmb1/28/recycla-bird

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”