Secret Lair

Avoozl
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Avoozl » 4 years ago

This is not a final product. This is an election. Do we like: Tokens (Bitterblossom dream)? or do we like fun alters of playable cards (explosion sound)? Or maybe we want a mix of both (KITTIES OMG)? Or maybe we like shiny basics? Or maybe we dont care and will just buy everything we can for no apparent reason?

They are giving a smattering of options for premium products and letting us vote with our dollars on what we want to see more of in the future.

Pip_Maxwell

Post by Pip_Maxwell » 4 years ago

Avoozl wrote:
4 years ago
This is not a final product. This is an election. Do we like: Tokens (Bitterblossom dream)? or do we like fun alters of playable cards (explosion sound)? Or maybe we want a mix of both (KITTIES OMG)? Or maybe we like shiny basics? Or maybe we dont care and will just buy everything we can for no apparent reason?

They are giving a smattering of options for premium products and letting us vote with our dollars on what we want to see more of in the future.
Would surprise me if Eldraine Wonderland wasn't a flop.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Pip_Maxwell wrote:
4 years ago
Avoozl wrote:
4 years ago

Would surprise me if Eldraine Wonderland wasn't a flop.
Oddly enough, if any of these flop, there will be fewer in circulation and ultimately, they'll end up more valuable.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

This is dumb. Sure, the art looks amazing, but we don't need this.

We need squirrels.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

That Serum Visions flavor text was clearly secretly sponsored by Bloodborne.

So... other than that... why is this called Secret Lair? What's the secret? What's the lair? Are they just going to call any future product "Secret Lair", "Mystery Booster", "Enigma Decks", "Hidden Expansion", "The Forgotten Core Set", "Mystery Precon", and then it's just assorted reprints that have no thematic hook? If they at least called it "Secret Stash" we could argue that it's like each release is a small cache of individually themed cards, but this is... a really arbitrary name.

The big reason this product is disappointing is that it's meaningless. I already forgot everything about the product except that you get four different token Faerie Rogue arts and overpriced basic lands.

Pip_Maxwell

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
That Serum Visions flavor text was clearly secretly sponsored by Bloodborne.

So... other than that... why is this called Secret Lair? What's the secret? What's the lair? Are they just going to call any future product "Secret Lair", "Mystery Booster", "Enigma Decks", "Hidden Expansion", "The Forgotten Core Set", "Mystery Precon", and then it's just assorted reprints that have no thematic hook? If they at least called it "Secret Stash" we could argue that it's like each release is a small cache of individually themed cards, but this is... a really arbitrary name.

The big reason this product is disappointing is that it's meaningless. I already forgot everything about the product except that you get four different token Faerie Rogue arts and overpriced basic lands.
Lair = Box
Secret = Marketing

This had a conspiracy vibe going, but conspiracy actually succeeded in its job as it actually introduced conspiracies (the strange marketing method for a draft set, the conspiracy card type, the draft-matters cards that deepened the drafting experience, even the monarch & dethrone mechanics contributed.)

Secret Lair is all the flash of conspiracy, but none of the actual payoff.

RainyDay

Post by RainyDay » 4 years ago

I'm actually glad they're not all good, so I don't feel any temptation to buy the bundle.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

I'm actually glad that it didn't end up being a subscription box - they probably registered a bunch of domains just to have them. There's so many options! Can't wait to see what they do next year.

Eldraine Wonderland is a great value, idk why people don't think $30 for five snow basics is a good price. I'm definitely buying it! Can't wait to use the sleeve, it's really pretty. Alayna Danner is the best land artist right now.

Who cares that the Bitterblossom one only has one actual card? It's much cheaper than any other copy. Why are we supposed to be mad about paying $30 for a $40 card?

Not sure which Serum Visions I'll buy for Melek, they're all so interesting. Hopefully the sleeve code won't be too expensive on eBay, I'd definitely like to buy one.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Wanted to see what was going on with Lair...

Pretty sure the site is bugged. Timer hit zero and now auto refreshes every second. Clearly this is going well.

Edit: Seems like after some struggle I managed to click on the link to the product and it dropped me into a queue. Says I have an 11 minute wait then 10 minutes to officially make a purchase. I'm not buying the full box set but I'll update the process up to actual purchase at least.

Edit 2: Queue worked fine. Sent me back to the product page, page was no longer auto refreshing. Shipping was free when I put x4 of the bundle in my cart. That's as far as I can go without purchasing. Seems fine now.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

Interestingly, there seems to be a Stained-Glass walker in each box:

Link

That starts to make some of these boxes a little more valuable than they were before though, Bolas, Jace, and Ashiok are the ones I care about specifically. Not sure if the others see much play or not.

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

It sounds like any of the WAR stained glass walkers are options. So Teferi and Narset may be in there as well, but who knows.

Pip_Maxwell

On one hand I don't want the lairs really, but on the other hand I did want the stained glass walkers. My poor wallet.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Anyone else get a strong vibe that wotc is modelling it's business strategy after video games - in a bad way? Charge tons for cosmetic upgrades, sell overpriced loot boxes with tiny chances for super valuable stuff (collector boosters), tons of new stuff on a relentless schedule, with expensive premium products alongside? It feels like they're trying to hook the whales and wring them for everything they've got.

God capitalism sucks balls sometimes.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

it's also miserable cos they have that "We don't look at secondary market card prices" motto but they'll print things meant to bait people who look at secondary market card prices lol

(I'm not gonna pick any of these up, I'm more the sort of person who buys bundles or common playsets and don't really seek out high price singles.)

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

[mention]DirkGently[/mention]
Not that I think cracking boosters is the best strategy, but as long as regular boosters remain as widely available as they are now then I take no issue.

Small asterisk that brawl specific cards being legal in standard is the start of the exact thing you're talking about. I don't want to get to the point where the best cards in sets are box toppers like Nexus of Fate or Korvold, Fae-Cursed King from the brawl deck. 100% inclusion rate makes for easy buyout territory, imo.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

I wouldn't necessarily blame wizards for all this, but Hasbro. Hasbro is the money, and the economic machine. (probably) all the executives need those vacations and bonuses, and ill be honest, because Hasbro has been making some pretty crappy toys at crazy high costs (looking at you transformers)

secondly prices aren't generated on costs anymore, but rather what the market can handle. and remember all numbers are made up.

these are all probably going to be value, just look at the ponies. I mean if you pay thirty$ for 5 lands, then add scarcity, seems pretty reasonable to value these lands at 8-9 $ each. the problem (to me) is the secondary market is going to have all this with exorbitant values and no one will care later (looking at you collectors boosters). I say this cause I have absolutely zero interest in 4 alt art copies of a card that already has alt arts.

im not a cat guy, but im almost sold cause those cat arts are so kyuuuuutuh (not baby yoda cute so im out)

DirkGently

Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently
Not that I think cracking boosters is the best strategy, but as long as regular boosters remain as widely available as they are now then I take no issue.

Small asterisk that brawl specific cards being legal in standard is the start of the exact thing you're talking about. I don't want to get to the point where the best cards in sets are box toppers like Nexus of Fate or Korvold, Fae-Cursed King from the brawl deck. 100% inclusion rate makes for easy buyout territory, imo.
Idk that I'm worried about buyouts, they'll print to demand eventually. But I do find it frustrating that I'm forced to buy additional product to keep up with my collection when I already draft a ton. But for the most part, so long as regular boosters are where the cards are, I'm ok.

Mostly I'm nervous about what this means for the future of magic. If they're resorting to these underhanded, psychologically manipulative tactics to push more product, what's going to happen if it fails? Where are they going to look for extra revenue next? How many new products can they make before it all collapses? I miss the days when it was just 4 expansions a year, full stop. Every year it seems like there's more crap around, and it makes me uncomfortably aware that there has to be a limit to what they can sell. And what's hasbro going to do when they hit that limit?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Anyone else get a strong vibe that wotc is modelling it's business strategy after video games - in a bad way? Charge tons for cosmetic upgrades, sell overpriced loot boxes with tiny chances for super valuable stuff (collector boosters), tons of new stuff on a relentless schedule, with expensive premium products alongside? It feels like they're trying to hook the whales and wring them for everything they've got.

God capitalism sucks balls sometimes.
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently

Idk that I'm worried about buyouts, they'll print to demand eventually. But I do find it frustrating that I'm forced to buy additional product to keep up with my collection when I already draft a ton. But for the most part, so long as regular boosters are where the cards are, I'm ok.

Mostly I'm nervous about what this means for the future of magic. If they're resorting to these underhanded, psychologically manipulative tactics to push more product, what's going to happen if it fails? Where are they going to look for extra revenue next? How many new products can they make before it all collapses? I miss the days when it was just 4 expansions a year, full stop. Every year it seems like there's more crap around, and it makes me uncomfortably aware that there has to be a limit to what they can sell. And what's hasbro going to do when they hit that limit?

Dirk, I get where you are coming from, but I don't think you need to worry.
1. Aesthetic upgrades: From the Vault has always existed. Now WOTC is pushing this idea to the extreme. People deserve to be able to play with pimped out cards. Masterpieces, Collector Boosters, Secret Lair, Spellbook series, etc - these are all targeting highly enfranchised players. The price point on the direct to market products seems like a cash grab, but it is also a lot more feasible than printing a large quantity, shipping to stores, and having it flop. I am in favour of aesthetic upgrades as a way for Wizards to generate more revenue, because really I think it makes everyone happy, players and Hasbro alike. I hope they take the profits from this type of product and reinvest it to add more manpower to R&D and creative. I want more stories, and I want fewer bannings in Standard.
2. Loot boxes: If loot boxes (Collector Boosters) were the only way to get cards needed to win games, then we would have a problem. But these are just ways of getting alternate art. Sure, the product's return on investment is highly variable, but so was return on investment on a box of Worldwake.
3. Tons of new products: They are pushing the bounds to see where the limit is. If the new products all do well, then clearly it was something the players wanted (on average). It makes it difficult if you want to collect every new product - and I think you may need to be a bit more choosy now.
I don't know if they are drawing from video games, but I think Magic is a very different entity because everything you buy has tangible value and because of a robust secondary market.

I understand how it is impossible to collect things now, and how if you want to play standard you may have to buy supplemental products to get access to cards. I think that last part is a mistake, and I also think buy a box promos will be changing. But times they are a-changing.
I don't see how they are being manipulative and psychological. If people are buying collector boosters chasing after value, then they are in the same trap as people who buy packs to sell back the rares, hoping to make money.
I got my hands on 3 packs of collector boosters and I am keeping them to use in a chaos draft one day.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently

1 - I've been playing since before ftv existed, so no, it hasn't always been around. But ftv was at least consistent, year after year of the same basic thing. Now it's every couple months they announce some new thing they're trying - collector boosters, sig spellbooks, whatever that new commander spellbook thing is.... It reads as desperate flailing to me.

2 - you're missing my point. Personally I don't really care about collectors boosters, I never plan to open one. But it seems like a way to market more towards the gambling aspect of the game, and players with poor impulse control who are psychologically susceptible to the chance to open something valuable. You could argue that's always been part of the game, but it seems like wizards wants to keep raising the stakes to see how much they can gouge the whales for.

3 - as I said before, it reads as flailing to me. People have thought there were too many products for years, but it just keeps increasing - I see no reason to suspect it'll slow down. I don't have any interest in cosmetic "upgrades" but I'll continue to buy the functionally unique cards from precons, bab promos, and supplemental sets - my budget is large enough that it's just a minor annoyance, and as I said I'm not going for cosmetics. Though I do find the added purchases annoying, what concerns me more is how desperate it all seems. Maybe there are people who genuinely love making these things, but to me it feels like the company is increasingly less focused on making a great product through great gameplay, and more focused on wringing every dollar it can from its customers, which does not bode well.

Great example is how this product is being sold - time windowed for a very small time, so people feel the pressure of "oh no, if I don't buy it now, I'll NEVER be able to get it" and are more likely to impulse purchase it. It's the exact %$#%$#% tactic fortnight uses for its store, and for the same reason - create artificial scarcity so people panic and buy it out of fomo rather than a genuine desire for the product. On a personal level it's easy to brush it off as "well idc, it doesn't interest me anyway" and ignore the bigger picture so long as each individual thing doesn't affect you. But the lower wotc is willing to stoop to get more sweet, sweet money, the less you'll be able to ignore it. In video games, it often starts with cosmetics before it goes to functionality - Nexus of fate may be a harbinger of whats to come.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Sidebar: is there a story being told in the serum visions sequence? Two seem to be related about drinking something letting in an...eldrazi? But I can't fit the other two in a way that reads coherently.

And a very minor quibble but I think sometimes wotc lets the power of cards in the meta too much dictate the art/flavour of reprints. I can't imagine them printing a new draw spell with as minor an effect as serum visions and having such a pretentious art and flavour. An even better example is tarmogoyf, which started looking pretty 2/3 or so in the original art, but now looks like a 10/10 world devourer or something. It's obviously really good in tournament play but c'mon, it's still only a 2 mana creature, save the epic artwork for the 7-drops. /rant.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

I like the idea, especially the idea of comedic and cute versions of cards, art aiming for other emotions. (I've always had a thing for comedy cards like Acorn Catapult.)

What I don't like is how overpriced it is.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
An even better example is tarmogoyf, which started looking pretty 2/3 or so in the original art, but now looks like a 10/10 world devourer or something. It's obviously really good in tournament play but c'mon, it's still only a 2 mana creature, save the epic artwork for the 7-drops. /rant.
What about a giant monster holding a human being in one hand screams 2/3 or so?
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
I like the idea, especially the idea of comedic and cute versions of cards, art aiming for other emotions. (I've always had a thing for comedy cards like Acorn Catapult.)

What I don't like is how overpriced it is.
Same. This whole thing is massively underwhelming, especially considering the hype that went into it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

DirkGently

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
An even better example is tarmogoyf, which started looking pretty 2/3 or so in the original art, but now looks like a 10/10 world devourer or something. It's obviously really good in tournament play but c'mon, it's still only a 2 mana creature, save the epic artwork for the 7-drops. /rant.
Maybe 2/3 is pushing it, but say golgari brownscale looks comparably sized to me. Maybe a3/4?

I'd guess he's about 20 feet long, whereas new art looks more like...I don't even know, a hundred? More? Quite a growth spurt.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Maybe 2/3 is pushing it, but say golgari brownscale looks comparably sized to me. Maybe a3/4?

I'd guess he's about 20 feet long, whereas new art looks more like...I don't even know, a hundred? More? Quite a growth spurt.
That's the thing about Goyfs though: they always inherently vary in size based on condition. So the first depiction could very easily be of a 3/4 but the later depiction is obviously a 7/8 a la Awoken Horror
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Proteus

Post by Proteus » 4 years ago

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
Eldraine Wonderland is a great value, idk why people don't think $30 for five snow basics is a good price. I'm definitely buying it! Can't wait to use the sleeve, it's really pretty. Alayna Danner is the best land artist right now.

Who cares that the Bitterblossom one only has one actual card? It's much cheaper than any other copy. Why are we supposed to be mad about paying $30 for a $40 card?
Because these cards cost WotC pennies to print. The cost for the art and the box for each is a factor, true, but that's defrayed over the hundreds/thousands of each of these Lairs you'll sell,

NONE of these should cost more than $15. The secondary market value of the original cards should not be a factor in pricing any of these, and yet it very obviously was.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”