Open Mystery Booster thread

The N82O Molecule
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

after further review,

this looks absolutely unfun to purchase, unless it sells like fallen empires (2$ a pack way back in the day)

but it needs to be opened extensively so seems there is some back and forth.

also, even though some of those cards may be logistical nightmares, ill always feel that UN sets will always be a "see what sticks" template. I mean you gotta try. maybe instead of "roll around in it" I should use arrows. shoot a million arrows, go broad, after they all land some will have done better work than others, adjust those arrows, etc (just an opinion, no worries)

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
after further review,

this looks absolutely unfun to purchase, unless it sells like fallen empires (2$ a pack way back in the day)

but it needs to be opened extensively so seems there is some back and forth.

also, even though some of those cards may be logistical nightmares, ill always feel that UN sets will always be a "see what sticks" template. I mean you gotta try. maybe instead of "roll around in it" I should use arrows. shoot a million arrows, go broad, after they all land some will have done better work than others, adjust those arrows, etc (just an opinion, no worries)
I am thinking the foil sheet will be the main reason to buy this. Gavin mentioned putting cards on this sheet he wanted to have in foil for Commander. So it could be cards that have never been in foil. Song of the Dryads, for example. Primal Vigor.
Bane of Progress
Mizzix's Mastery
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

wildfire393
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wildfire393 » 4 years ago

Some numbers on the Mystery Booster:
Given that every single slot has its own sheet of 121 unique cards, this functionally makes every single card in the set an equivalent rarity. You are exactly as likely to open a Mana Crypt in your pack as you are an Affa Protector. So despite their claim that they kept "original rarities" on some cards like Lotus Petal and Demonic Tutor, those cards are exactly as rare as the Mythic Rares in the set, and exactly as rare as a Mythic Rare from a normal set.

The foil-stamped "rare" slot has 19 mythics on its sheet and 102 rares. This mean that mythics on that are about 1:6 as opposed to the 1:8 in a normal slot.
In addition, there are 11 mythics in the "pre-M15" slot, meaning a mythic in 1:11 packs in that slot. There are 50 rares in that slot as well. This means approximately one half of all packs will have a second rare/mythic.
So in a normal 36-pack box, you're going to get about 6 mythics in the normal slot and a little more than 3 mythics in the pre-M15 slot. So while a normal box will average 4.5 mythics, a Mystery box will average 9. And while a normal box will average 31.5 rares, a Mystery box is going to have 27 in the rare slot and another almost 11 in the pre-M15 slot, for a total of 38 rares.
This all completely discounts the possibilities of the Foil slot as well.

The other thing to note is that four boxes (from the same case), assuming an approximately uniform distribution, should get you approximately the entire set.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”