Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

ImageImage

http://magic.facetofacegames.com/exclus ... d-passage/
Fabled Passage
Land - Rare
, Sacrifice Fabled Passage: Search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library. Then, if you control four or more lands, untap that land.
From here, the path to anywhere may be found.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Wow, I really like that a lot. I'll probably play a ton of those in EDH.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
More like every deck that has atleast 2 colors this will be in tier of sol ring playability level in edh decks for sure

pokken

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
More like every deck that has atleast 2 colors this will be in tier of sol ring playability level in edh decks for sure
So I think that might be going a bit too far. In decks that don't land ramp on 1/2 it's kind of a bottleneck if you want to play spells early. Consider the hand:

Hand 1 Then consider

Hand 2 And compare the sequencing -- with hand 1 you get to go:
t1 plains, sol ring, tap for orzhov signet
t2 marsh flats fetch watery grave untapped cast Ponder, then either wrath or swords. Or cast a spell you drew.

With hand 2
t1 plains, sol ring, tap for orzhov signet
t2 fabled passage, cast whatever, but no ponder cos you're choked on blue mana.

There are a ton of sequences like that I can envision where you can't curve out because you drew this.

For me I think it goes in my 2 color decks and any deck with a crucible it's probably better than the 9th fetchland (because you can painlessly pull all the basics out of your deck instead of taking 10 doing it).

I really like it in my mono colored decks with crucibles for sure.

It's also exceptional in budget decks I think (if the price stays <10 which I think it will) that are playing higher curves and don't need to worry as much about curving out on turn 1. It's strictly better than Evolving/Terramorphic for sure, so any deck playing those wants it.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Cool card, but doesn't feel rare to me. Uncommon, maybe.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Well, that's how we'll still support 2-color decks I guess. Evolving Wilds that EtB untapped on turn 4+ is...fine, and definitely supports midrange and controlling decks at the expense of more aggressive decks. This meta is going to be really hard for aggressive decks, with only shocks to utilize.

I'm excited mostly because I'm hoping unlike Prismatic Vista it won't be crazy expensive so I can get a copy for a few EDH decks :)

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I'm already running Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse in a bunch of decks, so having a better version definitely appeals to me, especially given how expensive Prismatic Vista ended up being. This looks alright in slower Standard decks, and unplayable in Modern, which is a good sign of it ending up on the cheaper side. I guess being in a normal set instead of a premium one should also help.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

I guess they cannot make this 3 lands or less, because they still want Prismatic Vista to be as expensive as possible.

Anyway, a slightly better evolving wilds... might be usable in certain decks.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Why does this get a gold frame while evolving wilds and terramorphic expanse gets a colorless one?

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Why does this get a gold frame while evolving wilds and terramorphic expanse gets a colorless one?
Special treatment for being rare?

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Unless they have print cards like that in this very set, maybe it's a policy change. But we've seen this issue before. Scalding Tarn is blue/red, but Grixis Panorama is colorless/grey. I wish lands like this would get a faded gold frame in general, also for commons - or even better a gradient frame with all colors the way MSE produces.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Terrible rare. This will be 10$ or more simply because people like me will want it for several EDH decks. People will want it for cubes.
It is pretty mediocre in limited.

All in all disappointing. This could have been common. It is hardly better than Evolving Wilds, and considering you want to be 1 or 2 colours in limited fixing is much worse than usual.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

WotC designer room:
- The set has no two-color rare lands! We need an expensive rare land to carry the set like lands usually do.
- Let's take a common, tack a slight upgrade and call it rare!
- Here! Have a bonus!

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
WotC designer room:
- The set has no two-color rare lands! We need an expensive rare land to carry the set like lands usually do.
- Let's take a common, tack a slight upgrade and call it rare!
- Here! Have a bonus!
so awesome comments like this are why I am here
two thumbs up emoji

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

surprised this thing is actually 10 dollars for singles pre-order. I guess come untapped on turn 4 adds ten dollars to evolving wilds?
Last edited by The Fluff 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

pokken

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
surprised this thing is actually 10 dollars for singles pre-order. I guess come untapped on turn 5 adds ten dollars to evolving wilds?
Turn 4 right? It doesn't say 4 other lands.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

oh, thanks for correcting. Turn 4 it is indeed. Need to edit my post. ><

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

this card sort of leads me to believe that they "messed up" with modern horizons via prismatic vista

print a land that is basically best over its counterparts and for some reason everyone wants one. but wait modern horizons was outside the "standard process" and now its "for the ages". . .we get this card, a threshold evolving wilds

Where they are right is that people will use this (if anything for lack of other options) but it reads pretty ugly overall (its not exciting)

ill take all I can get of them thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”