[ELD] Fires of invention (Vandal Es)

Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

Fires of Invention

Enchantment

You can only cast spells during your turn and you cannot cast more than two spells each turn.
you can cast spells with converted mana cost less than or equal to the amount of land you control without paying their mana costs

Tell us how many you want and get lost

https://vandal.elespanol.com/noticia/13 ... gathering/

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

What.... what? That's crazy...

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
What.... what? That's crazy...
Haha! That's basically what I came to say.

How can this be broken in half, I wonder?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Damn, with green ramp you would be casting any spell for free from there on.

Impossible

Post by Impossible » 4 years ago

Why does it feel like red just keeps getting worse versions of blue's effects? First it was looting, but worse. Then it was card draw, but worse. Now it's Omniscience, but worse.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Impossible wrote:
4 years ago
Why does it feel like red just keeps getting worse versions of blue's effects? First it was looting, but worse. Then it was card draw, but worse. Now it's Omniscience, but worse.
It cost 6 mana less than Omniscience, I don't think we can compare the two, they function very differently.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

A mana tripler? For four mana? Seems potent - the base case of casting two X-drops per turn when you have X lands is pretty good, and if you have something to spend your mana on, even better (ex: activated abilities like Kenrith, the Returned King). I suppose that the main draw of mana doublers is getting to ramp into more expensive things (like giant X spells), or casting lots of spells in a single turn (often because you're storming off with land untap effects), which this doesn't support.

....it's a powerful effect, so I imagine someone will find a way to break it.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

WE WANT RED TO CAST SPELLS!

But not that many.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Impossible wrote:
4 years ago
Omniscience cost way more mana. That's like saying that Bloodbraid Elf is worse than craterhoof behemoth.

Red has recently got a lot of powerful cards:
Anyway, this card works well with cards like Living End and Restore Balance.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Impossible

netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
It cost 6 mana less than Omniscience, I don't think we can compare the two, they function very differently.
NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
Omniscience cost way more mana. That's like saying that Bloodbraid Elf is worse than craterhoof behemoth.
I wasn't making a direct comparison between the cards, just the effects. It's no secret R&D has been trying to expand what Red can do, and I just find it weird that everything they try appears to just be a worse version of a Blue effect. What's next, worse flying?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Repeated methods of bouncing enchantments like Teferi, Time Raveler may be pretty good. Cast your free two spells, bounce it, pass turn, do whatever you want. Probably worse than wilderness reclamation for that.

Might be a way to phase it out?

Also a reasonable way to accelerate into infinite turn loops with Soulfire Grand Master (since you just activate soulfire + warp) for 4 mana every turn once you have five lands. And lets you cast one more spell for free every turn ofc.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

want a playset of these. Looks like there's some way to break it.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

Double Urza's Rage for 20 for free turn four or five? Three in magical super christmas land

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Max Rebo wrote:
4 years ago
Double Urza's Rage for 20 for free turn four or five? Three in magical super christmas land
Doesn't work - 'without paying its mana cost' means you just get the default spell, with no kicker. You can, however, pay the kicker cost with all the mana you're saving by not spending it on spells.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
Does this work even if they have no mana cost?
Impossible wrote:
4 years ago
I wasn't making a direct comparison between the cards, just the effects. It's no secret R&D has been trying to expand what Red can do, and I just find it weird that everything they try appears to just be a worse version of a Blue effect. What's next, worse flying?
I think it's amusing that red has to pay 4 for an extra combat step, while blue has a whole extra turn for 5

Serenade
UnderKing

Red has to pay 2 for an extra turn...

Taleran

Post by Taleran » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
Does this work even if they have no mana cost?
Impossible wrote:
4 years ago
I think it's amusing that red has to pay 4 for an extra combat step, while blue has a whole extra turn for 5
It is how Suspend cards currently work with

Dreadhorde Arcanist and Bolas's Citadel and a bunch of othrt effects yeah

Every card has a CMC for purposes of cards like this or Confidant Ad Nauseam they don't just have N/A or VOID as their CMC

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

This merely double your mana, while imposing strict restrictions. Interesting, but then your opponent plays deafening silence and you look silly. (unless your combo involved playing multiple creatures...)

This works like a more costly as foretold for the time spiral spells.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
This merely double your mana, while imposing strict restrictions. Interesting, but then your opponent plays deafening silence and you look silly. (unless your combo involved playing multiple creatures...)

This works like a more costly as foretold for the time spiral spells.
If you have activated abilities, this effectively triples your mana. Additionally, it can combo with flicker effects like flickerwisp to allow you to cast the spells for free and then still spend your mana normally.

Impossible

It also mana fixes for you perfectly, letting you play things like Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God and Niv-Mizzet, Parun in the same deck. It could allow some sort of 5-color midrange deck to exist in Standard.

Taleran

Post by Taleran » 4 years ago

So here me out

We get to 9 Lands

cast Grozoth find a bunch of 9 Drops including a copy of Myojin of Life's Web

Serenade
UnderKing

...if you fuse Catch/Release, is that one or two spells?

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
...if you fuse Catch/Release, is that one or two spells?
One Spell. Note that in order to fuse it, you would need lands equal to the combined CMC, rather than just one half or the other.

Serenade
UnderKing

Right, you have the nine for Grozoth.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

this card is super interesting, I really like it. I'm also interested if this will be better or worse than experimental frenzy or if they will actually work together (I strongly doubt this]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”