[ELD] Epic Downfall and Reave Soul (Ben Stark)

Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

Image Image

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

finally, a low cost black removal that exiles. This should help against several things in Modern.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I initially read this as 'power 3 or less', which would make it comparable to Complete Disregard, Grotesque Demise, and other small creature removal.

....then I read it again. CMC 3 or greater makes this a very different card. White has some similar cards, but they're usually based off of power. Despark is probably the closest direct comparison. Alternatively, compare Disdainful Stroke, which sees a decent amount of play.

The main draw to the card is that it will always be a tempo advantage - spending two mana to get rid of something your opponent spent 3+ mana on. I don't know if this will see play over Fatal Push in Modern, and there are a lot of other rivals for the slot at instant speed (Doom Blade, Ultimate Price, etc) - the main question would be whether exile is worth sorcery speed, and my guess for that would be 'no'.

Definitely seems playable in Standard though, and very solid in Limited.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Did not notice that it's 3 cmc or greater, I thought it was 3 cmc or less.

I guess this could not kill bloodghast and gravecrawler. Not as good as I initially thought. Although it could still kill Vengevine, Prized Amalgam, and Arclight Phoenix.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Aww, poor dragon.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

I'm glad they're getting more bold with Black Exile effects. It's about time. And funny enough that it's right when "Destroy" suddenly becomes more relevant in Modern.

There are certainly reasons to run this, even at Sorcery speed. It's all a question of knowing what you need.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Would these have been too good at instant speed?
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Simto

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Would these have been too good at instant speed?
Slap them in a deck with Teferi, Time Raveler and find out :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”