[ELD] Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale, Mardu Knight commander!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

From today's Mothership article about the Brawl decks.

As hinted at by Tournament Grounds, it's the long awaited Mardu Knight tribal commander! Well, I awaited it. Anyway, we're clearly meant to go wide with equipment and knights here. It's not the most exciting thing, but I dig it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Mardu colors, great! Draw excellent. Equip potentially zero brilliant. 6 mana...into the bin it goes. Unplayable. Why do they always make the least played colors always even harder to play?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

6 cmc too high...
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
6 cmc too high...
Only for tiny commanders, for the regular kind, she can hit the board quite rapidly.
Heck, with the perfect hand she can drop on turn 2 (basic, solring, signet with remaining 2 colors, turn 2 ancient tomb, summon the commander)

Even if you don't get a perfect hand, it is far from hard to get six mana before turn sex in commander, on average she should drop around turn four.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Wait a second
Brawl Legends weren't supposed to be shards?
out Palladia in Rienne
out Arcades in Chulane
out Vaevictis in Korvold
out Chromium in Alela
and out Nicol Bolas, in... this mardu?

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

With them not being draftables, I don't know how focused on color balancing they are. If you're worried about a grixis commander for brawl, you still have Dragon-God in standard.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

I would have been happy with a 2/2 for wbr

Whats the red, if white is vigilance the menace? Omg what is going on with this card. Wait the white is the equip redux, and black is menace and the red is vigilance. Wait no, and why would my knight draw me a card and do damage to me? Knights are about hierarchy through battles won no?

I hope i get one

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

This card has four abilities and three colors. Every attempt to create a bijective correspondence between these two sets seems misguided.

Vigilance is white.
Menace is black-red.
The triggered ability has a red-white condition and a black effect.
The static ability is white, and arguably also available to red.

This card is educational, because it teaches that Equipment is a plural word.

Judge Irenicus
Pronoun: xe /xim

Post by Judge Irenicus » 4 years ago

Yesterday I played some games with this deck on Arena and it is underperforming as hell.Today I plan on using the bant deck and see what happens
ymmv

RainyDay

Post by RainyDay » 4 years ago

Judge Irenicus wrote:
4 years ago
Yesterday I played some games with this deck on Arena and it is underperforming as hell.Today I plan on using the bant deck and see what happens
I don't know, I had pretty good luck with this deck. Unless they pulled ahead and landed the dragon commander when I had no removal, I didn't see this deck being that much weaker. The only thing that felt wrong was that there were far too many CIPT lands for such an aggro-y deck. Every time I landed Gwyn on the field, the deck just went into overdrive as long as I had some equipment out first.

Admittedly, I didn't play against too many different decks. Nothing but Korvolds and Gwyns as far as the eye could see.

RtKART
Illustrator

Post by RtKART » 4 years ago

This decks problem was the lack of draw outside of the commander. I would often get stuck at 4-5 lands/mana sources unable to do anything or get my field wiped and have no way of coming back from it. I think I won 2 out of 6 games. When I played chulaine I won 4 out of 6 with all the draw and combo potential in the deck. This just feels like a bad aggro deck most of the time and the draw engine costing 6 just kills it.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

The power of this card really made me feel like it should have been a five drop with no other changes or maybe even a 4 drop with a dip in stats. Its interesting but it feels very underwhelming to me in comparison to the other legends they spoiled yesterday.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Syr Gwyn looks interesting to me - the card draw ability promotes a go-wide strategy, while the equip 0 ability lets you play all sorts of beefy equipment. Keywords also provide support for an equipment-based voltron strategy. I would say the primary attraction of the commander is getting to play all sorts of equipment without needing to deal with equip costs - there are a lot of sweet pieces of equipment that I want to play but can't because they require too much investment, such as Moonsilver Spear and Argentum Armor.

There are some concerns though - costing six mana is certainly one of them, since if you're filling your deck with Colossus Hammer and friends, then you may not be able to equip them until your commander is out. Deck needs to have a lot of ramp to play Syr Gwyn ahead of curve consistently.

The other major concern is Knights as a tribe - they're a bit one-dimensional, with the vast majority of them being french vanilla, combat-focused creatures. There aren't many knights that generate card advantage or provide interaction, so you'll need to lean pretty hard on your equipment for that (which, again, means that you need to have your commander out consistently).

...and of course, if you're filling your deck with Knights and Equipment, then that greatly limits how many slots you have available for removal, card draw, and ramp, which makes the deck even more one-dimensional.

...I think my primary concern is actually that most tuned Syr Gwyn will probably be a bit repetitive, playing the same set of knights and equipment. There aren't a lot of different directions it can be taken, and the pool of cards that synergize with the commander is a bit shallow. I generally prefer commanders that allow a bit more customization.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”