Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

ImageImageImageImageImage

Izzetosaurus Rezzix
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Izzetosaurus Rezzix » 4 years ago

I wasn't a fan of faeries in their first big go in Lorwynn, but these are interesting. I like the implementation a lot better.
It's like a T-Rex outfitted with Izzet tech... think electrophasic cannons with bite-force.

Simto

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

This set is going to feel/be very underpowered compared to the last two releases, only winning in flavour.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Maraleaf Pixie looks interesting - cheap flier and a mana dork. Seems like it might see Standard play.

Rankle, Master of Pranks is pretty sweet. There are a couple of other black creatures with flying and haste, but not many. Combat damage trigger is the real draw though - it's a symmetric effect, but since you control the choice, there are a lot of options to tilt it in your favor. For example, by combining it with things like Bitterblossom, Notion Thief, or Waste Not. Definitely feels quite mischievous.

The others look like limited fodder, but could be decent roleplayers if there is a faeries archetype in limited.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

all weak.. would making Tome Raider cost 1u have made it broken?

they went back to "share the ability" with your opponent with the black legendary faerie.

although the mana producing faerie at least looks interesting.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

Also intriguing that we get sultai faeries this time around. I suppose they gotta make them different from Lorwyn somehow.

Also am I jumping to conclusions thinking that the Maraleaf Pixie is in anyway associated with Maralen from Lorwyn?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

These are fine, I guess. Nothing too exciting.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
all weak.. would making Tome Raider cost 1u have made it broken?
Yes. It is a common.
Compare to Elvish Visionary and to Baleful Strix. This is a monoblue common with tribal synergies.

I really don't think they are weak. The rare is really strong... not necessarily in Standard but even there I think it will do well against control. The other cards are all going to be high picks in limited, except maybe the black 1 drop.... but if mill is a thing it could be good.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

probably because I look at cards from a Modern player's perspective, so I thought they were weak.
I guess in other formats they could have some uses.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Faerie Vandal seems good at least.

Rankle... Not sure how well that's going to function but he's neat. Those comparing him to Small Pox, I think are missing the Liliana of the Veil comparison. Choose the first and last abilities until you'd have to sac Rankle, then keep using the discard. Not likely to see play in eternal formats, but could act as a more difficult Lily in Standard. Haste makes him interesting too.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
probably because I look at cards from a Modern player's perspective, so I thought they were weak.
I guess in other formats they could have some uses.
If your jam is modern, then you have to look at previews knowing that maybe 5 cards in the set will impact Modern. At least 75% of the set is aimed at limited.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Simto wrote:
4 years ago
This set is going to feel/be very underpowered compared to the last two releases, only winning in flavour.
A bold prediction after seeing 20 cards. Yes, War of the Spark was one of the most pushed sets in the history of, well, history, with multiple cards making a huge impact across multiple formats, but...we've seen 20 cards! And some, like Oko, Thief of Crowns, also seem pretty pushed.

I'd also say that every single Adventure card warrants heavy, heavy consideration. Historically players tend to undervalue cards with a mechanic like this (go back and see the preview season for Flashback, Aftermath, Jumpstart, Unearth, Embalm, and most Planeswalkers) because they don't consider the virtual card advantage these cards generate. Players making snap judgments on cards have a hard time thinking fourth dimensionally and considering how effective it is that to get two cards in one, and instead tend to focus on each side individually. For instance, it can be tempting to view Order of Midnight as "mediocre" because in modern Magic a 2/2 Flying that can't block is "just okay" and a two mana Raise Dead is unbelievably awful. But that card is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than "a 2 mana Raise Dead" and "a two mana flying Spineless Thug" alone, because the cumulative mid and late-game power of bundling those two effects is considerably more than the sum of its parts.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

I am in love with eye collector as I have a thing for 1/1 fliers for 1 cmc.

the limited environment is looking really cool imo

Simto

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
Simto wrote:
4 years ago
A bold prediction after seeing 20 cards. Yes, War of the Spark was one of the most pushed sets in the history of, well, history, with multiple cards making a huge impact across multiple formats, but...we've seen 20 cards! And some, like Oko, Thief of Crowns, also seem pretty pushed.

I'd also say that every single Adventure card warrants heavy, heavy consideration. Historically players tend to undervalue cards with a mechanic like this (go back and see the preview season for Flashback, Aftermath, Jumpstart, Unearth, Embalm, and most Planeswalkers) because they don't consider the virtual card advantage these cards generate. Players making snap judgments on cards have a hard time thinking fourth dimensionally and considering how effective it is that to get two cards in one, and instead tend to focus on each side individually. For instance, it can be tempting to view Order of Midnight as "mediocre" because in modern Magic a 2/2 Flying that can't block is "just okay" and a two mana Raise Dead is unbelievably awful. But that card is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than "a 2 mana Raise Dead" and "a two mana flying Spineless Thug" alone, because the cumulative mid and late-game power of bundling those two effects is considerably more than the sum of its parts.
I'll stand by my "bold" prediction hehe. That being said, the Oko card is really good!

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
For instance, it can be tempting to view Order of Midnight as "mediocre" because in modern Magic a 2/2 Flying that can't block is "just okay" and a two mana Raise Dead is unbelievably awful.
I didn't see anyone calling mediocre. It's actully a gravedigger that flies and can be cast on turn two and which have its effects used individually. on separate turns. IOW, it's a limited all-star. If it could block, it would be a first pick in draft. Even as-is, it could easily be picked 1st.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”