So... What kind of music do you all listen to?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Personally, I listen to most kinds of music, although I have a clear preference for the various types of Metal, and of course the music of the 80's, because music reached it's apex in the eighties, and hasn't reached the same level of volume and quality since.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

Well I guess I'm in the wrong decade! I listen to mostly 90s stuff like britpop, big big big time into Oasis and their solo carreers after. Also brazilian music, hip hop and pop I guess

I guess if I were to say the artists it would be something like

Oasis
Liam Gallagher
Noel Gallaghers high flying birds
Tribalistas
Zeca Pagodinho
Ira!
Artic Monkeys
The smiths
The stone roses
Lily Allen
Kanye West
Lana Del Rey
Juice WRLD
Lady Gaga
The libertines
Elton John
The Cranberries
Jonhny Cash
Bob Dylan

I think these are what I hear mostly, these and podcasts lately

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

My kind of topic!

I'm one of those post-punk/goth/industrial people, really into what was happening in the late seventies to the early eighties, whether it's early industrial rock like Killing Joke, the EDM angle like Front 242 (and I adore Kraftwerk too), more progressive music like This Heat or Art Bears, goth-y stuff like Bauhaus and UK Decay, socially-aware punk like The Au Pairs and Crass as well as Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys, funky, ska, reggae and two-tone takes on punk or more distressing bands like Einstuerzende Neubauten, The Birthday Party and PIL, and really just about anything else with a distant relationship to punk! I also have a deathgrip on my copy of Devo's first album.

Also a lifelong fan of Bjork and Kate Bush.

I had a brit-pop angle when I was young, still treasure a few songs by Blur, Supergrass and Dodgy, and entire albums by the Manic Street Preachers and SFA, and there were concurrent UK grunge bands like Skunk Anansie and Headswim I was really into too. but I am now an aging punk and can't admit to any of that!!
sorta mad at magic right now

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I mostly listen to metal (Thrash and death my favourite) but been expanding to a bit of EDM/dance type music.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Alternative and Metal are my general go-to's, but I listen to a very wide range, with no genre completely barren. Rock, Metal, Classical, some Pop, heck I even like some instrumental smooth jazz at times. Generally speaking, though, the further away from my mainstays you go, the more eclectic my taste: I love most metal and alternative, to very little rap and modern country.

I've really grown to appreciate Acoustic more as I've gotten older, with that being something that is my most commonly played playlist. Chris Cornell's acoustic tours at the end of his road was some of the best music I've ever heard in my life, and really brought out my love for simplistic beauty. I wish I could have seen him perform solo.
Listen: Chris Cornell Unplugged in Sweden
Show
Hide
My current fickle obsession is cello remakes of rock/metal songs.
It satiates my desire for classical strings while resonating with my inner beast.
Listen: Random Mix of Cello Metal & Medieval Remakes
Show
Hide
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 3 years ago

Alestorm and Gloryhammer are the only two bands I seek out with any sort of dedication.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

I remember when I was living with my mom and my uncle at my grandparents house back when I was growing up as a kid in the 80's and I remember my uncle on my mom's side of the family having the biggest music collection I've ever seen and ever since then he inspired me to start my own music collection on iTunes even though at this point there's a good chance I won't be able to complete it. I tried to start my music collection almost 20+ years ago by recording songs played on the radio via cassette tape only to realize that the time wasn't right yet since there was no way for me to keep up back then as it became too time consuming but now it's not that big of a hassle.

My uncle had a mural painting of Bruce Springsteen and the E. Street Band on the wall, a neon glow in the dark poster of Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction album cover that he got at Spencer's, and a silk Led Zeppelin sheet hung up on the ceiling with a lava lamp and waterbed. The majority of his collection consists of music CD's but he had some cassette tapes and vinyl records lying around in his room as well. Without a doubt his favorite music artist is Bob Dylan much like how mine is Michael Jackson. There's a lot of music artists that I grew up listening to as a kid whether it be Mike + The Mechanics, P.M. Dawn, U2, R.E.M., or even Sheryl Crow with my favorite album of hers being Tuesday Night Music Club.

So after I became a newborn Christian amidst the COVID-19 pandemic I had to re-evaluate what kind of music I was listening to whether If it was worshiping and praising God rather than just mention Him or is sung about him in a round about way since Worship music can really connect those who are seeking God. So I went ahead and made a personal playlist of songs on iTunes pertaining to Christian & Gospel music within the confines of popular mainstream music media though it wasn't easy. One of my friends recently e-mailed me her playlist of songs to look into as I was impressed with one of the songs on her list with "Clean" by Natalie Grant.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
So after I became a newborn Christian amidst the COVID-19 pandemic I had to re-evaluate what kind of music I was listening to whether If it was worshiping and praising God rather than just mention Him or is sung about him in a round about way since Worship music can really connect those who are seeking God. So I went ahead and made a personal playlist of songs on iTunes pertaining to Christian & Gospel music within the confines of popular mainstream music media though it wasn't easy. One of my friends recently e-mailed me her playlist of songs to look into as I was impressed with one of the songs on her list with "Clean" by Natalie Grant.
I think that unless you listen to music by an actual Satanist (such as Danzig, lol), you should be good. Personally I think it is important to separate the person from the music, a person or a band can make good music, even if they are raging assholes. For example, I think Oasis made good music, but the Gallagher brothers are, well, pricks.

Also, your uncle (and you) have really good music taste.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

I like most music though I refuse to listen to Christian music and Country newer than than the 80's (for the most part; Garth Brooks and Shania Twain will always be good) if I can help it. I don't listen to much rap either, though I do like quite a but of Eminem's stuff.

As for what I am listening to now, I have a few playlists in different places that include the following artists. Some are only a song or two though:

Adele
Alanis Morissette
Avril Lavigne
The Cardigans
Crash Test Dummies
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Decemberists
Garbage
In This Moment
Janelle Monae
Janet Devlin
Johnny Horton
Kimbra
Lady Gaga
Lykke Li
Melanie Martinez

Meg Myers
Men At Work
Natalie Imbruglia (I had a job for 6 months where I listened to nothing but her every day)
The Pretty Reckless
Sentidos Opuestos (a single song we listened to in Spanish class in High School)
Shakira
Sia
Weird Al
The White Stripes
Wild Belle

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I listen to a ton of varied stuff.

The recent plays and replays are:
Elton John
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Fantomas (The Director's Cut is such a beautiful album)
Opeth
Emperor
Decapitated (OG lineup only, the new one is awful)
Necrophagist
Deftones
Primus
Fela Kuti
Salmonella Dub
Trinity Roots
Fat Freddy's Drop
The Black Seeds
Jurassic 5
A Tribe Called Quest
Mos Def
Lots of G-Funk era hip hop
Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters
Cameo
Parliament Funkadelic
The Ohio Players
Sly and the Family Stone
Charles Mingus
Alice Coltrane (Ptah the El Daoud is genuinely one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Albert King
Howlin' Wolf
Bach's Cello Suites
Beethoven's symphonies, piano and violin sonatas

I'm pretty all over the place. Except for recent music, most top 40 sucks. As far as the whole good and bad influences in music goes, well...music is notoriously influenced by whomsoever is funding it. Even back as far as Bach and further into early baroque the church funded composers, and restricted literally the modes, scales and chords that composers were allowed to use in their compositions. Which strikes me as nefarious in its own right, but then I listen to a fair bit of death metal and black metal, which has a history of....uh....burning churches and murdering people....yeah...I'm bipartisan on this issue obviously.

Look as long as you don't take it too seriously you're not going to hell is my take on it. Music is the one language everyone understands, and it's a beautiful thing - it's all just rhythms, grooves, timbres and melodies to me.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

When people ask about whether the Rock Genre of music is disappearing I'm reminded of this from Blues Brothers 2000:

Elwood J. Blues wrote:You may go if you wish. But remember this: walk away now and you walk away from your crafts, your skills, your vocations; leaving the next generation with nothing but recycled, digitally-sampled techno-grooves, quasi-synth rhythms, pseudo-songs of violence-laden gangsta-rap, acid pop, and simpering, saccharine, soulless slush. Depart now and you forever separate yourselves from the vital American legacies of Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Jimmy Reed, Memphis Slim, Blind Boy Fuller, Louie Jordon, Little Walter, Big Walter, Sonny boy Williamson I and II, Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Elvis Presley, Lieber and Stoller, and Robert K. Weiss. Turn your backs now and you snuff out the fragile candles of Blues, R&B and Soul, and when those flames flicker and expire, the light of the world is extinguished because the music which has moved mankind through seven decades leading to the millennium will whither and die on the vine of abandonment and neglect.
20 years later since Elwood made that speech, he accurately prophesied the state of pop music in the 2010's as they are (except Grunge is dead and Rap is more verbal than violent anymore) case in point: Ke$ha, Rebecca Black, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Pitbull, Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, One Direction, Lil' Wayne, and every last auto-tuned teen, tween, hipster, emo, and digitally sampled amateur out there in the mainstream music industry or on YouTube. There are however a few good modern artists that keep the spirit of Rock N' Roll alive like Fitz & The Tantrums, Muse, Jack Johnson, Ben Folds Five, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, The Killers, Coldplay, Ingrid Michaelson, Adele, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, and Pharrell Williams. I remember watching an interview Larry King (from CNN's Larry King Live) made on his YouTube Channel with Slash from Guns N' Roses where he was asked the question about whether or not If Rock N' Roll is dead as a music genre in today's society and he said that there needs to be a scene for a new revolution of that music genre but skeptics say that the genre is "outdated":

"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Rock is dying in the same way jazz died. People are still making it, people are still discovering and forging new subgenres, its influence on almost everything that came after it is undeniable. Yet it has lost a fundamental element of cultural vitality, separate, yet related to all those aspects. Personally, I do not mourn it. I think there is far greater variety within rap, the heir to its throne, than there ever was in rock.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
Rock is dying in the same way jazz died. People are still making it, people are still discovering and forging new subgenres, its influence on almost everything that came after it is undeniable. Yet it has lost a fundamental element of cultural vitality, separate, yet related to all those aspects. Personally, I do not mourn it. I think there is far greater variety within rap, the heir to its throne, than there ever was in rock.
I dunno Hip-Hop / Rap isn't what it was back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's where you had artists like Tupac Shakur, The Sugarhill Gang, Run-DMC, and the Beastie Boys where their music was more about the message rather than songs degrading women and money with most Modern Rap artists nowadays. It's become more Rap than Hip-Hop or New Jack Swing which was a throwback to the music of the 30's and 40's. It doesn't have any soul in it as opposed to older music which is what I'm getting at here.

I'm still sad that New Jack Swing never made a real comeback after the 90's as it had a lot of promise. "Motownphilly" by Boyz II Men was probably the creme le creme of that genre when it hit the Top 40 charts back in the day. Same with artists like Bel Biv DeVoe, Bobby Brown, Teddy Riley, and Michael Jackson with his album "Dangerous" which sold over 30 million copies worldwide. Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff even capitalized on this music genre especially in the hit TV show, "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air".

- Ralph Smart

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I don't think Rock is dead, some of the greatest rock bands of all time are still going strong, heck the Rolling Stones were supposed to tour this year, but, yeah. Queen are also going strong, they found a singer, who although not as good as Freddie, still manages to hit the right notes (Seriously, who'd have thought Adam friggin Lambert would be a worthy heir to Freddie Mercury?).

The only real difference is that most rock artists these days aren't tied to major labels and thus don't get played on the radio. Rock has moved to the internet where even a mediocre rock band can get tens of thousands of fans globally.

Basically, the artists have tired of getting screwed by the major labels and found an outlet that lets them bypass the barriers and connect directly to the fans. Tech evolves, the rock artists are following the trends, the labels are stuck in the past.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
I dunno Hip-Hop / Rap isn't what it was back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's where you had artists like Tupac Shakur, The Sugarhill Gang, Run-DMC, and the Beastie Boys where their music was more about the message rather than songs degrading women and money with most Modern Rap artists nowadays.

[/quote]

Something tells me you don't really pay attention to what is being produced out there tbh or that you never were. 90s had PLENTY of lifestyle songs if you look past the critical hits, and today the average artist is probably more politicized than ever with everthing going arround in the world. thing is, an artist is a person and their lives and experiences are nuanced and aren't only about their struggles, so they often explore different areas

Ginuqu

There's always a narrative about every genre being simultaneously alive and dead, you just have to choose to ignore it, dig deep into your chosen interests and find out for yourself! Although I would say that old-school bands still being on tour doesn't in itself argue for either of those things; after a certain point you stop being a genre thing and start being an institution. Look how many people in the UK care nothing for metal but push Iron Maiden's albums into the charts all the time!

PS toctheyounger's tastes are my sort of thing, made me realize I forgot to mention how much I liked P-Funk and all its satellite bands. Atomic Dog plays in my head all the time.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Historically, I've leaned towards rock and metal (especially power metal). Iron Maiden, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, etc. More recently though, I've been listening to a lot of anime soundtracks, which in turn is because I've switched my music listening from Pandora to Youtube.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Screamo all day for this guy, but I too find my music tastes super varied.

My favorite band of all-time is The Amity Affliction, hands down bar none. The message and resonance I feel listening to their songs as a recovering addict cannot be fully described, frankly. At one point or another, I've felt every emotion and thought process they've written and screamed about. Some people don't like screamo, because it's just noise, but for me it's a reflection of the inner turmoil, frustration, disappointment, and hope I have for myself.

But, I also listen to a wide genre of stuff when I need a break from screamo. My list of bands, in no order, on my iTunes currently is:
  • The Amity Affliction
  • A Day to Remember
  • Bullet for my Valentine
  • We Came As Romans
  • Beartooth
  • Tupac
  • Eminem
  • Dead by April
  • August Burns Red
  • Brand New
  • Blink-182 (all the nostalgia feels!
  • Escape the Day
  • Goo Goo Dolls
  • Ice Nine Kills (freaking awesome band!!)
  • In Fear and Faith
  • Killswitch Engage
  • Michael Jackson (the King is still the King)
  • Earth, Wind & Fire
  • The Piano Guys (this is my go-to for pop and rock cello covers @Feyd_Ruin)
  • Iruma
And that's basically a medium-ish sampling of what I listen to.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I don't think Rock is dead, some of the greatest rock bands of all time are still going strong, heck the Rolling Stones were supposed to tour this year, but, yeah. Queen are also going strong, they found a singer, who although not as good as Freddie, still manages to hit the right notes (Seriously, who'd have thought Adam friggin Lambert would be a worthy heir to Freddie Mercury?).

The only real difference is that most rock artists these days aren't tied to major labels and thus don't get played on the radio. Rock has moved to the internet where even a mediocre rock band can get tens of thousands of fans globally.

Basically, the artists have tired of getting screwed by the major labels and found an outlet that lets them bypass the barriers and connect directly to the fans. Tech evolves, the rock artists are following the trends, the labels are stuck in the past.
I feel it's this lack of exposure that isn't being capitalized on as much where the record labels only focus on music with very low sound frequencies in order to dumb down the masses with Artists / Bands selling their souls to the devil because it makes them more money as opposed to producing music with higher sound frequencies that's more uplifting while giving people an excuse not to be forced listening to satellite radio to get the music they want.

Artists / Bands made most of their money off of album sales but ever since iTunes and similar platforms became a thing they made less money off of individual songs being bought instead of listeners being forced to buy whole albums to get the songs they wanted. So the Artists / Bands were forced to go on tour in order to make up for the loss of album sales while sadly that might not have been enough to recoup their losses. It killed their motivation to continue further.
duducrash wrote:
3 years ago
Something tells me you don't really pay attention to what is being produced out there tbh or that you never were. 90s had PLENTY of lifestyle songs if you look past the critical hits, and today the average artist is probably more politicized than ever with everthing going arround in the world. thing is, an artist is a person and their lives and experiences are nuanced and aren't only about their struggles, so they often explore different areas
I haven't really been keeping up with mainstream music since the early to mid 2010's when there was hardly anything good on normal radio before I made the switch to SiriusXM and haven't regretted it since. The problem with most of today's Mainstream Music Artists / Bands is that they don't cater as much to a wider demographic as they used to where songs are only made to appeal to specific demographics nowadays. While it may sound like it's a good thing it really isn't because you're excluding other audiences that could make you more money in the long run.

- Ralph Smart

toctheyounger

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago

I feel it's this lack of exposure that isn't being capitalized on as much where the record labels only focus on music with very low sound frequencies in order to dumb down the masses with Artists / Bands selling their souls to the devil because it makes them more money as opposed to producing music with higher sound frequencies that's more uplifting while giving people an excuse not to be forced listening to satellite radio to get the music they want.

Artists / Bands made most of their money off of album sales but ever since iTunes and similar platforms became a thing they made less money off of individual songs being bought instead of listeners being forced to buy whole albums to get the songs they wanted. So the Artists / Bands were forced to go on tour in order to make up for the loss of album sales while sadly that might not have been enough to recoup their losses. It killed their motivation to continue further.
duducrash wrote:
3 years ago
I haven't really been keeping up with mainstream music since the early to mid 2010's when there was hardly anything good on normal radio before I made the switch to SiriusXM and haven't regretted it since. The problem with most of today's Mainstream Music Artists / Bands is that they don't cater as much to a wider demographic as they used to where songs are only made to appeal to specific demographics nowadays. While it may sound like it's a good thing it really isn't because you're excluding other audiences that could make you more money in the long run.
That whole thing of selling your soul to the devil to make music has been around literally for centuries. It was commonly said about Paganini 500 years ago, and in the modern era Robert Johnson wrote a song about going to the crossroads and selling his soul to the devil to play the blues. It's nothing new and it's got nothing to do with frequencies. It's got more to do with what the status quo deem acceptable for an audience to listen to and it's usually said of artists outside the mainstream. If souls are to be sold in the music industry (and they are) I'd say it's more the candy pop artists that have zero talent, auto tune for Jesus and pray for longevity on the top 40 that have sold their ideals for 15 minutes of fame.

Ginuqu

Also, I think if anyone is sitting down to write a song with a demographic in mind then that's the most manipulative producers at work. Rock's sort of a nostalgia zone, now, and journalism about the modern stuff is full of regret and reference, and it has lost its power to create a rockstar. People are writing brilliant rock songs all the time but label support no longer includes payola and the best bands aren't rich anymore... ie, bands are not going out of their way to spite you, or to settle into a niche you don't think they deserve, they're adapting to what's possible without the benefit of press adulation.

Frankly everyone in music needs to paid more than they are being, it's an exhausting burnout occupation.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
I've found that a lot of the newer rockbands in particular are selling their music directly online, bypassing the entire setup of the music labels and actually making money they can live off instead of getting screwed by the labels. And several of the older bands are following suit because the times are forcing them to. And the labels are getting desperate to regain control over musicians, while the musicians have learned they no longer need the labels and don't have to give up the majority of their income to people who are basically just sitting on their asses doing nothing, living of other peoples work.

toctheyounger

duducrash wrote:
3 years ago
This. The 90's was full of positive vibe hip hop, not just misogyny in music form. Ngl, I still love the G-funk even if the message is pretty terrible. The grooves are just sick, Dre is a master producer and it shows. But yeah, A tribe called Quest, Blackalicious, Jurassic 5, De La Soul, Beastie Boys, and these days Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore, all rap about real life.
BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
I don't actually think genres ever really die, per se. Rock is going through a massive mutation/evolution, and it does have a lot to do with the evolution of electronic music and the relative fading away of the looming presence of the conglomerate music industry. It's now significantly more possible to release your music independently should you not want to give up a pound of flesh. The big thing you miss is access to the best producers in the world, so you really do need to make sure you know what you're doing in a recording studio yourself.

Rock is sort of like the English language anyway. Like English was born out of latin, germanic and romantic languages, rock was born in the melting pot of blues and folk, so it's not like it's roots were ever entirely pure anyway. With that in mind, it constantly changes. I don't necessarily like where it's going because I don't like electronic music overly, with relatively few exceptions. That being said it's far from dead.

Jazz....well, jazz is different and always has been. What is jazz anyway? We all have somewhat of an idea, but pigeonholing Duke Ellington into the same round hole as Sun Ra and Dexter Gordon and Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis and Charles Mingus is wildly reductive. It's more of an approach to composition than it is a genre of music. You know if you put a jazz record on you're going to listen to someone push the boundaries of arrangement, rhythm, groove and convention in some way, shape or form. Even something like Dave Brubeck's Time Out which is pretty ubiquitous and well known even outside jazz enthusiasts, the quartet plays around with time signatures and rhythm in ways that hadn't been seen in western music prior.

Is jazz dead? No. Is it mainstream, and was it ever? No. Modern Jazz is a little weird, in that artists are struggling for a niche somewhere between the underground and the mainstream music channels and that's a hard path to forge. The classic eras of jazz from the 20's through to the late 70's still gets played, still has fans and still sells records. That's not dead to me. A lot of it still pushes boundaries that other music hasn't yet, and it still swings and grooves. You can't tell me anyone has locked down funk better than Herbie Hancock managed on Headhunters and Thrust. You can't tell me anyone else has ever done a better musical rendition of a gospel choir than Charles Mingus' Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting, no one has ever topped Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for cool, mellow swing, and the free jazz artists pushed boundaries that no one else touches. Alice Coltrane's Ptah, the El Daoud is egyptian themed, and %$#%$#% does it come through.

I guess what I'm saying is, jazz may not have the airplay of top 40, but it's still as relevant as it ever was, and maybe more so in an age where most of the music you hear on a top 40 station is pedestrian and cut from the same cloth as it's peers. That's not dead to me.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk :)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

My musical tastes are based around all things rock, but that's a mighty big sphere and I do quite a bit of dabbling elsewhere. Alkaline Trio, Foo Fighters, the Gaslight Anthem, Butch Walker, Fountains of Wayne and many others can be counted among my favorites. I graduated in 2000, so music from the 90's and early oughts were very influential and important to me.

I share others' concert about the state of rock music now, mainly because Imagine Dragons, inexplicably, is the biggest band going. Between the collapse of the music industry and hip-hop's iron grip on popular culture, rock is suffering right now. Radio stations don't play a lot of new stuff even though labels like Wicked Cool are striving to keep it alive. As a musical genre, I think it needs to evolve and be a little more forward thinking to flourish; I just don't know what that looks like.

On a specific note, Blink-182 has been one of the biggest disappointments for me. I really loved them, then they got back with Tom and released a really meh album in Neighborhoods, then another solid EP, and then Tom left. But a few years later, miraculously, the best singer and songwriter the band had ever seen arrives in the form of Matt Skiba. This combination would be white hot fire, right? RIGHT?! Wrong. Oh so wrong.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
My musical tastes are based around all things rock, but that's a mighty big sphere and I do quite a bit of dabbling elsewhere. Alkaline Trio, Foo Fighters, the Gaslight Anthem, Butch Walker, Fountains of Wayne and many others can be counted among my favorites. I graduated in 2000, so music from the 90's and early oughts were very influential and important to me.

I share others' concert about the state of rock music now, mainly because Imagine Dragons, inexplicably, is the biggest band going. Between the collapse of the music industry and hip-hop's iron grip on popular culture, rock is suffering right now. Radio stations don't play a lot of new stuff even though labels like Wicked Cool are striving to keep it alive. As a musical genre, I think it needs to evolve and be a little more forward thinking to flourish; I just don't know what that looks like.

On a specific note, Blink-182 has been one of the biggest disappointments for me. I really loved them, then they got back with Tom and released a really meh album in Neighborhoods, then another solid EP, and then Tom left. But a few years later, miraculously, the best singer and songwriter the band had ever seen arrives in the form of Matt Skiba. This combination would be white hot fire, right? RIGHT?! Wrong. Oh so wrong.
Rock isn't suffering, it's just had it with the music industry giants and moved on to other media, go to youtube and you'll find otherwise obscure rock artists with hundreds of thousands of fans, the big ones have millions. One of my favorites on youtube, Frogleap (An artist whose entire sthick is to make rock/metal covers of other artists music, and he does it well), has over 3.9 million followers. While veterans of the rock genre such as Queen has over 13 million.

Rock isn't dead, it just moved on to greener pastures.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”