So... What kind of music do you all listen to?

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I've seen/heard people commenting on how Children of Bodom were one of the bands that got them into metal. Which was pretty true for me as well

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I've seen/heard people commenting on how Children of Bodom were one of the bands that got them into metal. Which was pretty true for me as well
For me it was the big four: Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer. Not so much the last of them, but I do enjoy them. Once I was hooked it didn't take long for me to discover Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Dio, and dozens of other metal bands. Children of Bodom came along a little later, but what I heard from them was quite enjoyable, but they were never in my top 10 favorite metal bands. They were hugely influential on later bands, much like Sabbath was influential to the metal bands of the 80's.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

:3 I knew Sabbath, Maiden and Priest before I knew the US thrash stuff and still prefer the heavy metal style to the more extreme subgenres. if anything, the well-known heavy metal bands lead me to bands like Candlemass and Slough Feg!

(but RIP to the Bodom guy!)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
:3 I knew Sabbath, Maiden and Priest before I knew the US thrash stuff and still prefer the heavy metal style to the more extreme subgenres. if anything, the well-known heavy metal bands lead me to bands like Candlemass and Slough Feg!

(but RIP to the Bodom guy!)
I literally discovered Sabbath, Maiden, Priest (and about two dozen other bands) within two weeks of discovering the big four. Lol.

Here is a fun metal related joke:

Q: What's the difference between a true metal-head and a poser?
A: The true metal-head listens to ABBA and Britney Spears unironically.

:laugh:

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

I discovered the Big 4 early on in my metal days and still listen to most of them a fair bit. I'd say thrash and old School Metal are probably my most common metal genres, followed by death metal

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

For me the big 4 are weird. I was massively into Metallica for the first 3-4 years of high school, and in the last just realised how formulaic they'd become. Even in their most iconic music you hear the same song structures every time: Intro melody, verse 1, chorus, guitar solo, verse 2, chorus, guitar solo, bridge, guitar solo, end. At their best they're incredible, but once you see the same formula used again and again, you just can't unsee it. Also Lars is the biggest douche nozzle in metal, and not even the best drummer in Metallica. These days....honestly I think they should've called it quits a few years back.

Megadeth I think are pretty great, although I haven't spent a ton of time listening to them. They have a similar problem with formulaic composition, but I do enjoy them.

I know very little about Anthrax, but Slayer are strange to me. No one else does what they do more or less, they're the perfect marriage of metal and punk through thrash metal, so if you're really into hardcore thrash they're perfect, if you're not....well they just don't do anything for you.

I'm a little weird about their subject matter too. I listen to a fair amount of death metal, so gore is not something I'm unfamiliar with, but because Tom Araya's vocals are so much more....legible :P it really does throw that in your face and that makes me at least a little uncomfortable. I'm the same with Cannibal Corpse, I don't listen to them for that reason, even though you'd be hard pressed to make out what's being said. Necrophagist is similar, but the band is so technically brilliant the juice is worth the squeeze that little bit more. It's hard to know where to draw the line. Dethklok is similar too, but being as it's a 'make believe band' with a lot of comedy going for them, I can at least look past that most of the time - especially for lyrics like ' If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts / because I'd rather you be dead than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year'.

FWIW I'm a little the same with the hip hop and rap I listen to, I prefer to avoid the more misogynistic areas where I can. That does preclude a lot of the better G-Funk material and some of Biggie's stuff too, but I'm happy with where that line is drawn mostly.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I know very little about Anthrax
If you are curious about Anthrax music, I can recommend giving the following songs a listen: "Potter's Field", "One Man Stands", "Metal Thrashing Mad", "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun", "In My World", "Bring the Noise" (with Public Enemy), "Time", and their cover of "Out in the Fields".

Pretty much the entirety of the "Persistence of Time" album is great, it is in my opinion their best work.

motleyslayer

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago

I know very little about Anthrax, but Slayer are strange to me. No one else does what they do more or less, they're the perfect marriage of metal and punk through thrash metal, so if you're really into hardcore thrash they're perfect, if you're not....well they just don't do anything for you.

I'm a little weird about their subject matter too. I listen to a fair amount of death metal, so gore is not something I'm unfamiliar with, but because Tom Araya's vocals are so much more....legible :P it really does throw that in your face and that makes me at least a little uncomfortable. I'm the same with Cannibal Corpse, I don't listen to them for that reason, even though you'd be hard pressed to make out what's being said. Necrophagist is similar, but the band is so technically brilliant the juice is worth the squeeze that little bit more. It's hard to know where to draw the line. Dethklok is similar too, but being as it's a 'make believe band' with a lot of comedy going for them, I can at least look past that most of the time - especially for lyrics like ' If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts / because I'd rather you be dead than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year'.

FWIW I'm a little the same with the hip hop and rap I listen to, I prefer to avoid the more misogynistic areas where I can. That does preclude a lot of the better G-Funk material and some of Biggie's stuff too, but I'm happy with where that line is drawn mostly.
Being able to understand the gore and satanism in music never really bothered me. Maybe I've just become so desensitized to it through the years. Maybe I just really love Slayer and Cannibal Corpse

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
Being able to understand the gore and satanism in music never really bothered me. Maybe I've just become so desensitized to it through the years. Maybe I just really love Slayer and Cannibal Corpse
Yeah, I get that. Slayer I guess I got into slightly before I was *really* prepared to deal with the subject matter maturely, so it kind of always weirded me out. I'm not really a fan of Cannibal Corpse either, so that's neither here nor there for me. It was always just too overt with CC - it's like they're really just trying to rub it in your face and that's just not necessary to me. My favourite death metal is original lineup Decapitated, their first three albums were all amazing. It's a shame about the deaths and lineup change, they just...are emphatically not good past the third album. I love the irony in a band with that name having very little lyrical content related to any sort of violence whatsoever too.

The satanism thing never really bothered me too much, it doesn't necessarily overlap with the gore anyway*. I listen to a reasonable amount of second wave black metal, so I'm not afraid of that dark mass style of music. In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk are amazing albums; incredibly harsh and grating, but beautiful in their purity of timbre, content, intent, everything about them was entirely deliberate and perfect.

*The irony in this statement being how destructive, nihilistic and violent that society of musicians were in real life. What an experience it would've been to be a fly on the wall in that society.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

My musical tastes are pretty much all over the place, listening to a large variety of music genres. Primarily I'm a fan of metal and hardcore but I can definitely get into some dark jazz like Kilimanjaro DarkJazz Ensemble, old dark wave acts that would have been on the Projekt label, or hip-hop, and various electronic artists as well. I'm constantly searching for new music. The only thing I'm really not into is country music.

As far as metal goes, I lean into black metal the most but have a healthy appreciation for plenty of more "mainstream" metal acts too.

Emperor is my favorite black metal band of all time, but as far as black metal acts that are actively putting out new music I don't think anyone touches Blut Aus Nord these days.

Soilwork is easily my favorite melodic death metal band. They are remarkably consistent with high quality works.

Power Metal isn't something I'm huge into but Blind Guardian are amazing and have been a favorite of mine for a long time.

I also love some frantic "old school" screamo music like Hot Cross, Sed Non Satiata, Saetia, Orchid, The Saddest Landscape, etc.,.

Big fan of melodic hardcore acts like Killing The Dream. Ruiner, Life Long Tragedy, Defeater, etc.,.

Ulver is one of the most consistently great groups around and they've been all over as far as genres are concerned, from their folk black metal roots, through their more electronic and ambient influenced phase, to their current dark art pop stuff, it is all pretty awesome.

I could ramble on for hours so I'll just stop now.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

I make a lot of my own stuff and have to remind myself what my own taste is in cycles following periods of concentration. xP Lately I've been looking into forgotten bands from around where I live, mostly finding singer-songwriters and folkies but there's the occasional nu-romantic band or classic heavy metal group that pops up!

all time fave artist: Laurie Anderson

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 2 days ago

Woooh, a music thread :grin:! Enjoyed reading what kind of music everyone listens to. I am always on the lookout for new tracks and artists. My own musical taste spans all kinds of genres... when I was a kid I wasn't particularly interested in music, but that changed when I was about eight years old and discovered Trance music. Since then my taste has broadened, but my love for electronic music stayed - here is a handful of tracks from my playlists:
Trance (Genre originated in Western Europe (Germany, NL & UK). I prefer the uplifting trance sub genre. Trance calms me down, and I can zone out to it really well. I listen to trance before going to bed often)
Temple One - Blush (Extended Mix)
Afternova - Serenity (Andy Blueman Remix)
Ahmed Romel - Sea of Sounds

Hardcore (This genre of electronic music originated in The Netherlands - quite aggressive, spawned a whole subculture ("gabber"). When I was young my mates and I would hang out and listen to this and dance... go out to underground clubs & dedicated festivals)
Angerfist & Ophidian - Nothing Is Real
Nosferatu & Evil Activities - Sick Of It All

Hardstyle (This genre of electronic music originated in The Netherlands as well - more melodic and lower bpm than hardcore. Whereas hardcore stayed a bit niche, hardstyle became quite popular at electronic & summer music festivals)
Bioweapon - How Else Can I Say It
Frontliner ft. John Harris - Halos

DnB (I generally prefer liquid and 'intelligent' DnB)
Deep Stealth - Secret of Steel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”