Does anyone keep an aquarium here?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Hi, keeping aquarium fish has been my hobby since grade school.

Here is a pic of my bigger tank. Sorry for poor quality, my camera cannot pick up movements too well.

A school of Tiger Barbs on our 1200 gallon.

Also have some goldfish, but they're on a separate tank.

Anyone else here keep fish as pets at home? Let's share pics. :)

I started on this hobby on one tiny fishbowl. And it grew from there.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Where's the substrate?

Sorry, although my tank is currently on hiatus, I've literally kept fish since I was a toddler, and worked in the industry, and bare tanks still irk me to no end.

That said, those are some beautiful tiger barbs. I am also curious to what species of Catfish it is? It looks a little like a Cory of some sort, but it is hard to tell when its seen from the front.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Where's the substrate?
none at the moment. Still in the process of setting up the tank.

I later plan to have more white gravel in it to settle the plants in.
Sorry, although my tank is currently on hiatus, I've literally kept fish since I was a toddler, and worked in the industry, and bare tanks still irk me to no end.
worked in the industry.. so you were a petshop owner.. or did you build aquariums?

that's fine, If you have no time to take care of the fishies, then it's better to give the tank a little rest.

we had a thriving community fishpond years ago with many carps, gouramis, hammerhead, pleco, and snails. Also had many more tanks during that time. However, after the onslaught of dengue fever I think that was the early 2000.. one of my cousins died a horrible death - she literally vomited blood. My parents became paranoid that the pond might have mosquito larvae. The pond was evacuated of it's inhabitants, buried in soil, and turned into a flower field. Most of my tanks were given away as well. Now, all I have left are 5 tanks and a fish bowl.
That said, those are some beautiful tiger barbs. I am also curious to what species of Catfish it is? It looks a little like a Cory of some sort, but it is hard to tell when its seen from the front.
thanks! they're really active and take away my stress when watching them swim in a school. There are almost 40 of them.

hmm.. the only other tank mates of the barbs are one small pleco and a rainbow shark. You have good eyes, I did not realize that the pleco was in the pic until you pointed out there is a catfish. I guess it wanted to be introduced here as well. :>

after making this post, will be cleaning the tank, add some methylene blue to cure the itch that the rainbow is experiencing. Plants are already removed as I type this.

will post a pic again when things are calmed down. Maybe next week. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
Where's the substrate?
none at the moment. Still in the process of setting up the tank.

I later plan to have more white gravel in it to settle the plants in.
worked in the industry.. so you were a petshop owner.. or did you build aquariums?

that's fine, If you have no time to take care of the fishies, then it's better to give the tank a little rest.

we had a thriving community fishpond years ago with many carps, gouramis, hammerhead, pleco, and snails. Also had many more tanks during that time. However, after the onslaught of dengue fever I think that was the early 2000.. one of my cousins died a horrible death - she literally vomited blood. My parents became paranoid that the pond might have mosquito larvae. The pond was evacuated of it's inhabitants, buried in soil, and turned into a flower field. Most of my tanks were given away as well. Now, all I have left are 5 tanks and a fish bowl.
thanks! they're really active and take away my stress when watching them swim in a school. There are almost 40 of them.

hmm.. the only other tank mates of the barbs are one small pleco and a rainbow shark. You have good eyes, I did not realize that the pleco was in the pic until you pointed out there is a catfish. I guess it wanted to be introduced here as well. :>

after making this post, will be cleaning the tank, add some methylene blue to cure the itch that the rainbow is experiencing. Plants are already removed as I type this.

will post a pic again when things are calmed down. Maybe next week. :)
I've worked in three pet shops, the first for only shy of three months, the woman that owned it was not a nice person, and abused the unemployment system here in Sweden to hire someone for three months at a time to get it paid by the state, make up a false story to fire the person before the three months were up, and do it again. Basically getting workers for free. I was fortunately forewarned, and when I got fired talked to the people at the unemployment office, who corroborated my story with other former employees and got the woman and her family blacklisted from the program, which meant I didn't get a mark on my employment record, and it was removed from the others who had fallen victim to her scam. Her two pet shops went under a few months after that, as did her animal breeding program on the side as no petshop owners wanted to buy stock from her anymore as she had basically given the whole industry a black mark from her behavior.
The second place was much nicer, but they eventually had to shut down due to competitive pressure. When you got five petshops within a half a kilometer radius, somethings got to give. One of the other three folded a few years ago due to mounting pressure and because they run afoul the government equivalent of the ASPCA when they tried to bribe the one sent to check on them and it didn't work. They should have been shut down decades ago, the few times I visited them, half their animals were sick, and they kept all the animals in the same room, even though it is illegal to do so. Each animal type needs a separate room in petshops according to Swedish law. Reptiles and Amphibians in one room, fish and other aquatic animals in another, one for mammals, and one for birds. One time I visited them, in one of their terrariums there was a bearded dragon with half its face rotted off. It was horrendous. But the place I worked was great, out in the main area of the shop they had this giant, well, it was supposed to be an aquarium, with glass sides and all, but it was used as a fenced in area with chinchillas, it was tall enough that the chinchillas couldn't get out, and people couldn't reach in and grab one, and they rodents were so happy in their enclosure that they actually bred every eight weeks. It was also the place where I learned, that although pretty, the Tokay Gecko is not a good pet, they're large, and aggressive predators that will bite of your fingers. One of the other workers, an experienced herpetologist, wearing two sets of worker gloves, still needed to visit the emergency room for stitches after one bit her hand. The owners got us some chainmail gloves (same kind they make anti-shark armor of for divers) after that to use under the work gloves, just to make sure it didn't happen again.
Last place was only a part-time temp job as I was waiting for my disability to kick in, owned by a lovely woman who at the time owned three petshops, she had a lot of experience with, and hired, people with disabilities. She had this amazing Amazon parrot in the back of the store that wasn't for sale, it really, really hated men in general. I won it over on the first day by simply offering it a piece of fruit. It figured out that I wasn't mean, and always said hello when I came in.

Sorry to hear about your pond, your parents should have realized that a pond filled with fish is probably the last place any mosquito larvae would survive to adulthood.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

that's one scumbag employer you had as first. Glad she got punished by the law.

as of now, All three of my active aquariums are still soaked in methylene blue. Making sure the itch is dead before clearing the water... so I need a week more...

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
that's one scumbag employer you had as first. Glad she got punished by the law.
Oh, she got %$#% not just by the law, and unemployment office, but also by the combined might of the other pet stores here in Sweden, her actions tainted their reputation. It did cause one good thing though, it made (most) pet shops over here double down on customer relations and treating their employees well.

The second place was pretty fun, but the owners where kinda special. One of the two was chill as %$#% and completely obsessed with color morphs of various lizards, to such an extent that he bred Leopard Geckoes in his spare time to get unusual colors on them, and one time, and this was at the start of winter, so late Octoberish/early Novemberish, someone (and we have no idea who), dumped their pet Leopard Gecko in an open (because it currently had no stock) terrarium. He immediately took it home because it had unusual colors, it was literally half pink and turquoise. The other guy was a bit of a douche, not to his employees, but just in general. It was obvious he cared more about his other pet shop than their joint venture, and had a habit of pre-selling dogfood to breeders even when we didn't have any in, and wouldn't get any in for weeks. I was not surprised when I learned that his other pet shop had started going bankrupt a couple of years later, guy had no money sense and was a bit greedy. But he always treated his employees right, so he wasn't all bad, just morally grey. The lizard guy also had the most adorable dog ever, a real pitbull, not a pitbull terrier, but a proper pitbull. There was a little drama over it at the beginning of January while I was in the shop, apparently it had bit a, what's it called, "meter maid?", but said person had literally assaulted the lizard guy, and the dog had defended him, which the security tapes showed. But still, drama! So it had to have a muzzle for a few weeks until the trial was over, it was a very short trial, it ended with the meter maid getting fired and having to pay court costs. Lol. But it was the most adorable dog ever, I even managed to teach it a few non-verbal commands, only to sit, lay-down, and roll over, but still.

In general it was fun working in the trade, and I sometimes miss it, but I also realize that it wouldn't work with my mental issues.

I am still looking forward to seeing more pics, when the ich is gone.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Lizard person seems like a fun guy. Never knew that geckoes can be so colorful.

That certainly would be a court case, a person bit by pit bull. Good thing there is video evidence, so the the trial went in your favor.

The third aquarium cleared up enough.

Goldfish and danios in my 900 gal tank. Have been keeping them for years now. :)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
That certainly would be a court case, a person bit by pit bull. Good thing there is video evidence, so the the trial went in your favor.
Well, his favor anyway. And as I said, one of the nicest dogs I've ever met.

What breed of goldfish? Comets? Veiltails? They're obviously neither Ranchu or Orandas.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

actually, I don't know. They are feeders being sold for a low price at a petshop. However, instead of feeding them to any big fish, I kept them as pets. They're really nice, always coming near the glass when I'm around. And also if fishfood is given at similar times each day, fish seem to remember it, they look more excited during that time of the day. :)

oh, and those decorations. Most of them we picked up at a beach in the province. I tried keeping saltwater fish for awhile, but sadly did not work out, they lived only several weeks. For them, I bought some boxed salt for saltwater fish.. but was never able to get a "mixer" to keep cycling the salt in the aquarium water.
Last edited by The Fluff 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RabidVacin

Post by RabidVacin » 3 years ago

I have a small 10 gallon aquarium. There's an algae eater that looks too big for the tank. I also have 3 tetras. One of the tetras recently had babies and all 4 babies look like they are going to make it.
That card is bad and you should feel bad for playing it.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
actually, I don't know. They are feeders being sold for a low price for a petshop. However, instead of feeding them to any big fish, I kept them as pets. They're really nice, always coming near the glass when I'm around. And also if fishfood is given at similar times each day, fish seem to remember it, they look more excited during that time of the day. :)

oh, and those decorations. Most of them we picked up at a beach in the province. I tried keeping saltwater fish for awhile, but sadly did not work out, they lived only several weeks. For them, I bought some boxed salt for saltwater fish.. but was never able to get a "mixer" to keep cycling the salt in the aquarium water.
How large are they? You can generally tell what type of Goldfish you have by their appearance, veiltails have a considerably rounder body than regular goldfish and comets, and double tails for example, while the comet has the same body type as normal goldfish but longer tailfins. While plain ol' goldfish look like regular grass carps but with orange scales and fins, and so on. As they were feeders, they're likely either regular goldfish or comets.

As for Saltwater, that is a very expensive hobby, and the likelihood that your saltwater fish died because the tank wasn't properly cycled is pretty high. Saltwater livestock are notoriously sensitive to things like ammonia and nitrate. And then there are things like compatibility issues and so on.
RabidVacin wrote:
3 years ago
I have a small 10 gallon aquarium. There's an algae eater that looks too big for the tank. I also have 3 tetras. One of the tetras recently had babies and all 4 babies look like they are going to make it.
Are you certain they are tetras? All tetras are egg layers, and if they had live young they can't be tetras at all. Nearly all freshwater fish outside of livebearing toothcarps are egglayers, the only real exceptions are foureyes and halfbeaks.
And you really should upgrade the size of your tank, if it is a real algae eater and not something like an Ancistrus catfish (or similar), you'd need an 80 gallon tank at a minimum, smaller suckermouth catfish such as the Ancistrus need at least 50 gallons, and if you are unlucky and have a proper pleco, you need a tank of at least 90 gallons, as they grow rather large and are very "messy". The only suckermouth catfish/algae eaters really suitable for a 10 gallon would be Otocinculus sp. And they require ample algae growth not to starve. If you are unfortunate to have a real algae eater, and not a suckermouth catfish, I highly recommend you get rid of it, they get very territorial and aggressive as they grow older, and are not really suitable for anything but tanks with "tough" fish.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

sorry for late reply.

the usual size of my goldfish are about one to two inches in length. Those I got years ago are almost 3 inches.

here is another goldfish pic. Got lucky that he's relaxing in the corner. :)
SPOILER
Show
Hide
yeah, it's probably the lack of mixer why my saltwater fish died. At that time, simply did not have enough funds to buy the mixer used by the pet shop. Stopped trying to have saltwater fish after that.

on another thing. I'm raising some guppy fry, there are about 15-20 of them.
will show pic when they are a bit bigger. :>

@RabidVacin

goodluck. I hope the baby fish can survive.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
sorry for late reply.

the usual size of my goldfish are about one to two inches in length. Those I got years ago are almost 3 inches.

here is another goldfish pic. Got lucky that he's relaxing in the corner. :)

yeah, it's probably the lack of mixer why my saltwater fish died. At that time, simply did not have enough funds to buy the mixer used by the pet shop. Stopped trying to have saltwater fish after that.

on another thing. I'm raising some guppy fry, there are about 15-20 of them.
will show pic when they are a bit bigger. :>
Feeder goldfish in a nutshell, they're usually runts. and that is certainly a runt. Lol.

That is not necessarily a bad thing, as it makes them more suitable for community tanks. Proper goldfish have much deeper and thicker bodies and grow huge.

As for the guppy fry, I hope you've moved them to another tank, because their odds of survival with other fish in the tank is not particularly high. If you keep them with other fish, I recommend both floating plants (Limnobium laevigatum being ideal, but any with long roots will do), and bushy plants in the tank (Ceratophyllum and Limnophila being the best options as they are quite hardy, the former can be found on almost all continents, and the latter is actually edible, and grows huge if allowed to, and it grows really, really fast.). Basically, you need to maximize potential hiding spots to ensure the fry survive.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

runts, yeah. But I still like them. Removes my stress when they swim to me in the morning. ^___^

hmm, the fry are safe. They are in a 50 gallon aquarium with no adults. The fry are from two mothers... 5 from one, and another 14 or 15 from the other. Have a 900 gallon tank waiting for them.. will transfer when they are more than half an inch long. :)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
runts, yeah. But I still like them. Removes my stress when they swim to me in the morning. ^___^

hmm, the fry are safe. They are in a 50 gallon aquarium with no adults. The fry are from two mothers... 5 from one, and another 14 or 15 from the other. Have a 900 gallon tank waiting for them.. will transfer when they are more than half an inch long. :)
Goldfish are surprisingly intelligent fish, that myth about 3 second memories has been debunked thoroughly more than once. Last study I read, they actually managed to teach some goldfish the rudimentaries of Football (or Soccer for you heathens in the states, lol.)

Just make sure the fry are large enough that the goldfish won't try to eat them, goldfish are notorious for trying to eat anything they can fit in their mouth, including gravel, which it is best to have sand as a substrate for goldfish tanks.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

that's nice. Intelligent goldfish. :)

oh, I mean the 900 gallon would be all to the guppies. It is currently occupied by carps and goldfish, but when the guppies are big enough.. I will transfer the carps and goldfish to another tank.

as for fitting things in their mouth. The larger carps gobble up gravel all the time, but they seem to spit it all out easily. Maybe that's their way of scavenging food?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
that's nice. Intelligent goldfish. :)

oh, I mean the 900 gallon would be all to the guppies. It is currently occupied by carps and goldfish, but when the guppies are big enough.. I will transfer the carps and goldfish to another tank.

as for fitting things in their mouth. The larger carps gobble up gravel all the time, but they seem to spit it all out easily. Maybe that's their way of scavenging food?
Carps (and goldfish by extension) are bottom feeders, in nature they suck up muck to get at larvae, snails, and other edibles that live in it. Eartheating Cichlids such as the ones from the Geophagus genus, do the same.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

update:

sadly, all my guppies in the fry tank.. died when the building being constructed nearby dumped cement from their roofop. It's not intentional, so there's no point getting angry. Buried my fish in the garden. :\
SPOILER
Show
Hide

This is my main tank. With clown loaches and barbs. Photo taken at a little past 5 in the morning.

will be recording a video next time. :)
SPOILER
Show
Hide

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Took the video. :)

my cat is playing with me, so you hear cat sounds.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

How many clown loaches you got? And how big is the tank you intend to house them in? Because they get big, really big, as in a foot long active swimmers, and you do need at least three for them to be happy.

Also, prepare for some aggression from the Rainbow Shark, it's not as aggro as the red-tailed black shark though, so it'll do fine with robust fish like the ones you have in the tank with it. Just be prepared for it to chase and "bully" other fish.

That said, they're all beautiful specimens. Also, sorry to hear about the guppy fry. :(

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

it's fine. I got a 1,200 gal aquarium. Hmm, and it's nice because the loach learned to eat flakes on the suface by copying what the barbs do. :)

initially got 5 locahes. But one died, I'm almost sure it's not from aggression as I've not seen the barbs attack loaches.. they were only curious on the first day the loaches arrived. But I've seen no serious attacks.

the rainbow shark.. well she's huge, twice the size of a barb and loach. From observation, she only goes aggro when other fish try to eat the food that drop near the filter. She does not actively chase them if they're not eating the food near the filter.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
it's fine. I got a 1,200 gal aquarium. Hmm, and it's nice because the loach learned to eat flakes on the suface by copying what the barbs do. :)

initially got 5 locahes. But one died, I'm almost sure it's not from aggression as I've not seen the barbs attack loaches.. they were only curious on the first day the loaches arrived. But I've seen no serious attacks.

the rainbow shark.. well she's huge, twice the size of a barb and loach. From observation, she only goes aggro when other fish try to eat the food that drop near the filter. She does not actively chase them if they're not eating the food near the filter.
Clown Loaches (and certain other species of loach) are notoriously fragile the first month or so after purchase, that you only lost one should be considered good luck. If you want to make your loaches really happy, set up a small tank to breed small snails in. Loaches friggin' love snails, they eat them like a kid eats candy. :laugh:

Anyway, once you are past the first couple of months with clown loaches and they've settled in, they tend to be tough fish. They do like some "caves" though. So if you have a large terracotta flowerpot or a nontoxic PVC pipe, put it in the tank and they'll thank you. Just make sure to put the flowerpot on its side so they have easy access to it.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

ok, might try to add some cave decorations later. When budget allows.

I'm also searching for some Kuhli loaches.. planning to have those in another tank.

A storm is in progress today..

had to empty half a water from almost all the aquariums because more rain is coming.. before this pic, two of them were overflowing. The 2 blue air pumps you see at the front, they were submerged, and stopped functioning.. had buy new ones to replace them.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
ok, might try to add some cave decorations later. When budget allows.

I'm also searching for some Kuhli loaches.. planning to have those in another tank.

A storm is in progress today..

had to empty half a water from almost all the aquariums because more rain is coming.. before this pic, two of them were overflowing. The 2 blue air pumps you see at the front, they were submerged, and stopped functioning.. had buy new ones to replace them.
Kuhlii Loaches are probably the easiest type of loaches to keep, as long as they have plenty of hiding places (lack of hiding places and they will bury themselves in the substrate, lack of either hiding places or substrate and your get very stressed loaches). They are very fun fish.

The storm is Eta, right?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

are Kuhli loaches aggressive? I plan to put the with the goldfish.

the typhoon entered our country is "Ulysses". So cold here right now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”