Does anyone keep an aquarium here?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
are Kuhli loaches aggressive? I plan to put the with the goldfish.

the typhoon entered our country is "Ulysses". So cold here right now.
Do not, under any circumstance, put Kuhlii in with goldfish. The goldfish will try and eat them, and thus likely get seriously injured by the loaches gill spikes, not to mention seriously injure the loaches.

But Kuhlii are one of the types of loaches that aren't aggressive. They are quite communal, much like clown loaches. If you want a loach to keep with (smallish) goldfish, I recommend Weather Loaches, they look much like Kuhlii, but have the same water requirements as the goldfish, and are considerably larger and thicker than Kuhlii. They are also peaceful towards other fish. Better tank mates for Kuhlii are guppies and similarly sized fish like most tetras and rasboras.

There are so many storms, hurricanes, and typhoons going on around the world right now that it is hard for me keep track. >.<
But I hope you are keeping safe.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

sorry, for late reply. Ok, will follow youre advice. :)

yeah, so much storm. Our garden was like a flooded grove.. maybe ug mana can be obtained here now. lol
SPOILER
Show
Hide
thanks for the concern. We survived just fine.
only real damage are the two aquarium air pumps that got submerged. Had to be replaced with new ones.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Jace

Post by Jace » 3 years ago

Yes! I have a red Betta fish in a 5 gallon. I had a 10 gallon that leaked. He's small but I do wish I had bought a 10 gallon again, instead.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

if he's alone then that should be fine. Although a 10 gallon is always better, so he can move around more.

do you have pics? :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Jace wrote:
3 years ago
Yes! I have a red Betta fish in a 5 gallon. I had a 10 gallon that leaked. He's small but I do wish I had bought a 10 gallon again, instead.
A five gallon for a Betta is enough as long as it is filtered (and depending on where you live, heated/cooled). Also, sorry for the late reply, had some (not health related) issues that needed to get dealt with in early December, and then Xmas and New Years rolled around. You know how it is.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

just a little update. I bought 5 small tiger barbs to increase the barb population, since a few died from them fighting each other.
surprised, upon release from the plastic.. three of the 5 small barbs attacked the large Rainbow Shark who was just relaxing near the bottom of the tank.. the R.Shark retreated behind the filter.. but came out a few seconds later to get revenge - it chased the resident Tiger Barbs, not the ones that attacked it.... I guess Tiget Barbs all look the same to it. lol :grin:

have no pic, but my community tank is doing well.... black mollies, sword tails, tiger barb, black tetra, golden tetra, Rainbow Shark (only one), pleco (only 1). The only aggression is the barbs sometimes attacking each other... which resulted in a few deaths among themselves, but they don't seriously attack other members of the tank, at least I haven't seen them do it. :halo:

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
just a little update. I bought 5 small tiger barbs to increase the barb population, since a few died from them fighting each other.
surprised, upon release from the plastic.. three of the 5 small barbs attacked the large Rainbow Shark who was just relaxing near the bottom of the tank.. the R.Shark retreated behind the filter.. but came out a few seconds later to get revenge - it chased the resident Tiger Barbs, not the ones that attacked it.... I guess Tiget Barbs all look the same to it. lol :grin:

have no pic, but my community tank is doing well.... black mollies, sword tails, tiger barb, black tetra, golden tetra, Rainbow Shark (only one), pleco (only 1). The only aggression is the barbs sometimes attacking each other... which resulted in a few deaths among themselves, but they don't seriously attack other members of the tank, at least I haven't seen them do it. :halo:
To avoid to much infighting with Tiger barbs, you need a school of at least 12, preferably more. This spreads out their aggression a bit. But unless you've actually seen the other tigers kill one of their number, the culprit is likely another fish (likely the Rainbow Shark or pleco, as revenge for them bullying it. Tigers are notorious bullies.). I am assuming your Pleco is not actually a Plecostomus but rather an Ancistrus, because if it is the former, it is going to get huge.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”