Wombats and Potato Chips

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I've actually been thinking about looking into options for playing online, although discord might be my choice since I already use it a lot anyways.

I just need to find who I know has what books available to them as well
Well that one is easy, all you have to do is ask them.
fortunately that's the really easy part, I've always found the hard part about having a game/campaign in a tabletop RPG was getting a group whose schedules can line up and stay dedicated to it enough

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I've actually been thinking about looking into options for playing online, although discord might be my choice since I already use it a lot anyways.

I just need to find who I know has what books available to them as well
fortunately that's the really easy part, I've always found the hard part about having a game/campaign in a tabletop RPG was getting a group whose schedules can line up and stay dedicated to it enough
That is true, fortunately the internet makes it easier. It's a lot quicker and easier to start up a program than it is to maybe drive for half and hour to an hour, set up the game, play for several hours, and then drive home. With the program you can get directly to the play part and play for a few hours (or roughly the time of a normal game session), and then shut it down when you are done. Saves a lot of time for people, so that people who might have say 3 to 4 hours on a Weekend can play while they otherwise could not because of the travel time.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago

That is true, fortunately the internet makes it easier. It's a lot quicker and easier to start up a program than it is to maybe drive for half and hour to an hour, set up the game, play for several hours, and then drive home. With the program you can get directly to the play part and play for a few hours (or roughly the time of a normal game session), and then shut it down when you are done. Saves a lot of time for people, so that people who might have say 3 to 4 hours on a Weekend can play while they otherwise could not because of the travel time.
I guess playing online can make it easier in a sense because you can just fit a session in over whatever platform you can set up on, because you don't need to spend that incidental time to get to the game. So it allows you to play whenever you have time rather than set up certain dates

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I guess playing online can make it easier in a sense because you can just fit a session in over whatever platform you can set up on, because you don't need to spend that incidental time to get to the game. So it allows you to play whenever you have time rather than set up certain dates
Precisely.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

That's one thing I find super convenient about how available online platforms are now. They make it super easy to play games such as tabletop RPGs and Magic whenever you feel like it or whenever it's easy for you

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

I wish I had time to play some D&D.
My wife and I have talked about rolling up a campaign for years.
We have the desire and interest, but we just don't have the time.

:(
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

motleyslayer

I feel that's pretty much what happened to me for the longest time, I just couldn't set aside the time for a while. I've played a bunch of competitive magic over the past 5 years so that's where a lot of time goes

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
3 years ago
I wish I had time to play some D&D.
My wife and I have talked about rolling up a campaign for years.
We have the desire and interest, but we just don't have the time.

:(
Kids?

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Kids?
Yes sir. Mostly grown; one with special needs.
After my day job and everything - I have time to work on nexus and try to squeeze in some pokemongo and family time/movie/etc.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Yeah, that will eat up a lot of free time.

motleyslayer

one of my buddies has 2 children (son aged 2ish I think and a daughter aged 5ish). Fortunately his daughter is well behaved enough that he can bring her with him to FNM when that was running. She would just play on her tablet and not really require too much attention to get her to behave

I don't think I can realistically understand how much time kids take up as I don't have any of my own

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

I'm expecting my third in literally a week and I must say...

They steal pretty much all of your time. I'm lucky to get a game of EDH once a month. And while I'd love to do any type of campaign, it's nearly impossible to consider with 3 kids under the age of 5.

BUT

I hope that it's something that I can share with my son and daughter(s?).

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
I'm expecting my third in literally a week and I must say...

They steal pretty much all of your time. I'm lucky to get a game of EDH once a month. And while I'd love to do any type of campaign, it's nearly impossible to consider with 3 kids under the age of 5.

BUT

I hope that it's something that I can share with my son and daughter(s?).
It gets easier as they grow older and gain more independence, and who knows, once they reach a certain age, they may want to play as well. Both MTG and RPGS.

motleyslayer

I had a buddy that would take his kids with him to play Magic with him when they were younger a few years ago. I'd imagine they kind of lost interest or went through the "too cool to play nerdy games" phase like seemed to happen at least when I was a teenager. That was a decade+ ago though.

My other buddy's daughter kinda showed interest but she's kinda young

I'd imagine keeping kids interested in stuff can be hard at times

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I had a buddy that would take his kids with him to play Magic with him when they were younger a few years ago. I'd imagine they kind of lost interest or went through the "too cool to play nerdy games" phase like seemed to happen at least when I was a teenager. That was a decade+ ago though.

That really depends on if you include and encourage them or not. There is still a chance they'll lose interest, but nurturing their nascent interests is paramount of them to keeping said interest. For example, watching a lot of different movies with your kids will encourage them to continue to enjoy movies in the future, the key is making sure they are enjoying themselves. If they constantly feel frustrated or bored, they will lose interest.

motleyslayer

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago

That really depends on if you include and encourage them or not. There is still a chance they'll lose interest, but nurturing their nascent interests is paramount of them to keeping said interest. For example, watching a lot of different movies with your kids will encourage them to continue to enjoy movies in the future, the key is making sure they are enjoying themselves. If they constantly feel frustrated or bored, they will lose interest.
I feel that one buddy I had was having a similar problem with his step-son. His stepson was losing a lot due to having a weaker deck and was just learning the game so he wasn't as proficient in playing. So he kinda started losing interest and my buddy wasn't sure how to keep a 10 year old interested. He could probably build a better deck but he wasn't sure how much money to spend when he wasn't sure if the kid would stick with it

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I feel that one buddy I had was having a similar problem with his step-son. His stepson was losing a lot due to having a weaker deck and was just learning the game so he wasn't as proficient in playing. So he kinda started losing interest and my buddy wasn't sure how to keep a 10 year old interested. He could probably build a better deck but he wasn't sure how much money to spend when he wasn't sure if the kid would stick with it
Your buddy should have built a weaker deck to continue playing so that the kid would have a decent chance of winning. This is where the "Planeswalker Decks", "Commander Decks", and other prebuilt decks offered by WotC shine, they are generally around the same power level, so getting a couple of them and putting them against each other are generally a good way to introduce newer players to the game and keep them interested. And as MaRo recently revealed, they've learned that most new players actually prefer to jump into the deep end and start with Commander, because that is what their friends and family are playing (Can't say I blame them, best format is best format), which is part of the reason they decided that this year is the year of Commander.
The prebuilt commander decks (and technically the Eldraine Brawl Decks) are also a good way to teach newer players about deckbuilding, by helping them upgrade and improve said decks with cards from their collection. It is also important to note that a good deck doesn't necessarily mean expensive, tribal decks in particular then to be on the cheaper side, and in Commander in particular, there is no real difference between a three mana and a four mana spell with the same or similar effect due to the length of the games (unless you end up manascrewed of course). There are a lot of good budget options for the format, one good source of information on the budget side of Commander that I can recommend is "Commander's Quarters" on Youtube, he generally sticks to making videos about good budget cards for the format, but he does occasionally dip his toe into the other end of the pool, like his video about the most expensive commander deck.

But in short: The key to teaching someone MTG is to make sure the decks you are primarily playing are around the same power level, otherwise you are just going to frustrate the newer player(s) into quitting.

motleyslayer

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
Your buddy should have built a weaker deck to continue playing so that the kid would have a decent chance of winning. This is where the "Planeswalker Decks", "Commander Decks", and other prebuilt decks offered by WotC shine, they are generally around the same power level, so getting a couple of them and putting them against each other are generally a good way to introduce newer players to the game and keep them interested. And as MaRo recently revealed, they've learned that most new players actually prefer to jump into the deep end and start with Commander, because that is what their friends and family are playing (Can't say I blame them, best format is best format), which is part of the reason they decided that this year is the year of Commander.
The prebuilt commander decks (and technically the Eldraine Brawl Decks) are also a good way to teach newer players about deckbuilding, by helping them upgrade and improve said decks with cards from their collection. It is also important to note that a good deck doesn't necessarily mean expensive, tribal decks in particular then to be on the cheaper side, and in Commander in particular, there is no real difference between a three mana and a four mana spell with the same or similar effect due to the length of the games (unless you end up manascrewed of course). There are a lot of good budget options for the format, one good source of information on the budget side of Commander that I can recommend is "Commander's Quarters" on Youtube, he generally sticks to making videos about good budget cards for the format, but he does occasionally dip his toe into the other end of the pool, like his video about the most expensive commander deck.

But in short: The key to teaching someone MTG is to make sure the decks you are primarily playing are around the same power level, otherwise you are just going to frustrate the newer player(s) into quitting.
I guess I should have been a bit more clear, my buddy would take the kid to fnm (where decks were a bit more powerful) and it was pretty discouraging. Although I guess that's a problem a lot of newer players face in magic

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I guess I should have been a bit more clear, my buddy would take the kid to fnm (where decks were a bit more powerful) and it was pretty discouraging. Although I guess that's a problem a lot of newer players face in magic
FNM is not newbie friendly, and is a terrible place to take someone who is still learning. Once a player has some experience and a strong deck (or if it is Draft and the player has some experience drafting), then it is fine, but before that, no. FNM players are there to win and will be ruthless towards newer players.

A better newer player social experience with other players would be something a bit more casual, like Commander, or sealed play like a prerelease, where you get to keep the cards you opened.

One good experience I had with newer players at an FNM was the Innistrad prerelease. Out of 60+ people, around a third were relative newbies (as in had only played a few months at the most), and one in particularly stood out, she admitted, fully, that she was only interested in the game because it had vampires (She was an obvious goth girl, but had a bright smile and was genuinely happy.), All the experienced players were more than happy to help the newbies build their decks and when we were done with our matches freely gave play advice to the newbs if they asked for it. Goth girl even managed to hit top 12 (just after me, lol.)

motleyslayer

As someone who's been playing competitive Magic for so long, I often forget how scary fnm can be for newer players, especially young ones. Constantly losing and not getting anything in terms of prizes is probably super heart breaking for kids.

Maybe getting him more comfortable with magic is probably a great idea

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
reminds me of my noob days. Took my precon to fnm on the first night... got totally trounced on. lol

but that was a wake up call for me to become a better player, and build better decks. So the experience had a positive effect.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
As someone who's been playing competitive Magic for so long, I often forget how scary fnm can be for newer players, especially young ones. Constantly losing and not getting anything in terms of prizes is probably super heart breaking for kids.

Maybe getting him more comfortable with magic is probably a great idea
Indeed, you don't throw a child in the deep end of a pool without aid to teach it to swim, well, unless you're a sociopath. :laugh:

motleyslayer

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
reminds me of my noob days. Took my precon to fnm on the first night... got totally trounced on. lol

but that was a wake up call for me to become a better player, and build better decks. So the experience had a positive effect.
ah I still remember those days of either getting stomped when I played pre-cons or my own horribly made decks, it took me years to actually get good at deck building but I'm really glad I stuck with it.

I consider myself really bad at teaching people how to play the game, so I'm glad I had a bit of talk with people here how to keep people interested when they're new (and young)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

SOOOOO I'm really excited about Zendikar once I realized cards like Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary don't count as lands when in the deck for cards like I don't know.... Goblin Charbelcher.

Another thing I realized today: being a Game master for one player running 3 characters is really a nice change of pace when playing Adventurer's league games. Like The player controls all 3 in combat and roleplays the best they can and I just correct roleplaying or add more via the NPCs and its turned out to be oddly very relaxing.s

That said this is meant as a side quest for when my group of Mods cant all play and I may have space int he game from week to week if people would want to try D&D if you haven't played before or even if you just want to test a build before committing to run it in a larger campaign.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

motleyslayer

bit of a random tangent. Does anyone else feel like this year has dragged on and they've kind of just lost track of what time of year it is?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”