Wombats and Potato Chips

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
bit of a random tangent. Does anyone else feel like this year has dragged on and they've kind of just lost track of what time of year it is?
No, not really, but then again, I rarely leave my place of residence in the first place. I kinda miss going to my local LGS to pick up my MTG boosters and commander decks instead of getting them delivered to my door. But then again, due to the current climate, it doesn't really feel like November either. :/

I just hope that 2020 doesn't have one last nasty surprise up it's sleeve. I think the continuous natural disasters, the ongoing pandemic, and various other %$#%@#% is more than enough bad stuff for a decade. :cussing:
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
bit of a random tangent. Does anyone else feel like this year has dragged on and they've kind of just lost track of what time of year it is?
No, not really, but then again, I rarely leave my place of residence in the first place. I kinda miss going to my local LGS to pick up my MTG boosters and commander decks instead of getting them delivered to my door. But then again, due to the current climate, it doesn't really feel like November either. :/

I just hope that 2020 doesn't have one last nasty surprise up it's sleeve. I think the continuous natural disasters, the ongoing pandemic, and various other %$#%@#% is more than enough bad stuff for a decade. :cussing:
I kind of have to remind myself how late it actually is in the year, mostly because I kind of feel like summer didn't really feel like summer. I feel like I did a bit of stuff still, just not what I'd normally associate with summer such as grinding magic events in nicer weather.

I kind of did miss hanging out at my LGS randomly after work (up until when I bought a car 2 months ago, I'd stop by LGS a bit sometimes after work as it was on the walk home after work). I'm sure my LGS would still be fine with me being there for a while, it just feels weird just essentially loitering after work. Plus now I don't see as many people I know just hanging out there either.

as bad as it sounds, I'm not surprised with what happens anymore with what happens anymore, 2020 just seems to be one bad thing after another

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
as bad as it sounds, I'm not surprised with what happens anymore with what happens anymore, 2020 just seems to be one bad thing after another
At this point, I doubt anyone would be surprised if we got invaded by extraterrestrials.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
Yes very much yes. I've been unemployed since Mid-January so this year has felt like a century and a half. Turns out work keeps your mind busy. Thankfully I'm back in grad school but still I miss the purpose given by working at a place where you feel valued and respected.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

motleyslayer

I've been fortunate to have been working the whole time (I work in the food industry, people need food) but a lot of the time early on it felt like I'd just go to work and play video games after. I don't play video games too often but had to make time go by without paper magic or being able to go to the gym.

I never realized just how often I'd look forward to the next magic event until I couldn't attend paper events

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I've been fortunate to have been working the whole time (I work in the food industry, people need food) but a lot of the time early on it felt like I'd just go to work and play video games after. I don't play video games too often but had to make time go by without paper magic or being able to go to the gym.

I never realized just how often I'd look forward to the next magic event until I couldn't attend paper events
That is pretty common. A friend of mine got work in the medical industry just after the Pandemic happened (he works in the medical supply industry, which is extremely important right now), and he has mentioned missing going to pre-releases as well.

It is an unfortunate side effect of what a Pandemic is, but it is important to do what we can to reduce the spread of the disease, and as such certain things would need to be sacrificed, even if it annoys us to no end.

motleyslayer

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago

That is pretty common. A friend of mine got work in the medical industry just after the Pandemic happened (he works in the medical supply industry, which is extremely important right now), and he has mentioned missing going to pre-releases as well.

It is an unfortunate side effect of what a Pandemic is, but it is important to do what we can to reduce the spread of the disease, and as such certain things would need to be sacrificed, even if it annoys us to no end.
100%. Missing a year or 2 of Magic events is easier than living with the disease for much longer or risking people's lives.

This whole thing also made me realize how many people I know that I only saw at events

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I would just like to inform you all that the news of my death have been wildly exaggerated.

So, yeah, I am back. Did you miss me? :P

Had some things that I needed to take care of in RL at the end of November/Early December, and then Xmas and New Years took up my time. Don't worry, it wasn't health related (well, except having to tell my doctor to shove off because she wouldn't let me finish speaking before interrupting me. I'll be getting a new doctor soon.)

motleyslayer

November/December seems to usually be a busy time of year with all of the holidays during that time period. I know how you feel about the doctor being annoying, I was super glad when I learned my doctor got a new nurse practitioner last time I went back before I started my current job in October of 2019. Old one was kinda annoying.

Ontario Canada has been in a state of emergency since Thursday due to ever so rising covid numbers but people seem to be not worried as people are still going everywhere

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
November/December seems to usually be a busy time of year with all of the holidays during that time period. I know how you feel about the doctor being annoying, I was super glad when I learned my doctor got a new nurse practitioner last time I went back before I started my current job in October of 2019. Old one was kinda annoying.

Ontario Canada has been in a state of emergency since Thursday due to ever so rising covid numbers but people seem to be not worried as people are still going everywhere
It's Pandemic Fatigue exacerbated by misinformation campaigns by conspiracy theorists and foreign actors. We have the same issue here in Sweden, particularly among the teen population (Dumbasses are deliberately trying to get infected by a disease with a higher than 2% mortality rate.)
On the other hand, a larger percent of the adult population have finally realized that wearing a mask in public spaces might be a good idea. But yeah, our current infection rate is currently the fourth highest in the world, nor helped by the fact that our equivalent to the CDC are run by a bunch of hacks that despite overwhelming evidence that it doesn't work are still trying the disproved "herd immunity will protect people from Covid-19" thing. Once this is all over, each of those idiots should be charged with manslaughter for each person who died needlessly during this pandemic.

Anyway, going away from this horrid topic to something a lot more friendly, I recently had some computer issues, but it was fairly easily fixed. Turned out that the PSU was getting old and needed to be replaced, and now my computer is working just fine again. I have not once regretted taking that "how to build a PC" class, it has saved me so much money over the years because I can replace parts and build computers on my own. (Still a little afraid of breaking components when I put them in, but I really shouldn't be.)
I am glad it wasn't my Processor or Motherboard that was about to fry though, I am not sure I could have afforded to replace them. December was really expensive for me, almost four times my normal monthly budget, so it took a big chunk of my savings.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Well... It looks like it wasn't only the PSU that was an issue. Apparently it's also an issue with my motherboard and processor, as I still get the error (although a lot less frequent, so the PSU definitely needed to get replaced.)
Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford to replace the parts for at least another two months due to the obscene prices caused by the microchip shortage that the pandemic has caused. I hate the Pandemic even more now. Grrrrr.....

motleyslayer

one of the supervisors at my work had the hardest time finding a graphics card within his price range due to the shortage lately. I guess a lot of people are building computers now

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
one of the supervisors at my work had the hardest time finding a graphics card within his price range due to the shortage lately. I guess a lot of people are building computers now
Yeah, the pandemic has really fubared the industry. All the more reason to get this vaccine train running.

motleyslayer

getting most of the population vaccinated would be great so life can return to normal. Pretty sure Canada is gonna have a bit of delays due to some kind of issues, not sure what caused them but it's frustrating

I actually really miss grinding paper Magic events. Obviously that's not as important as other reasons to have the vaccine but still

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
getting most of the population vaccined would be great so life can return to normal. Pretty sure Canada is gonna have a bit of delays due to some kind of issues, not sure what caused them but it's frustrating

I actually really miss grinding paper Magic events. Obviously that's not as important as other reasons to have the vaccine but still
Sweden (where I live) has the goal of having 5.4 million people vaccinated by midsummer. It's a lofty goal, as it is almost half the population. But there are many that think they can't reach it. But I hope they succeed.

motleyslayer

in North America, getting most of the populations vaccinated is going to be a nightmare. Canada has just under 38 million people (5.5 million or so in the Greater Toronto Area) and the US is like 328 million. I think even in Canada we'd be lucky to get 25% of our population vaccinated by June, the US I could see taking years. I could be wrong or underestimating the process but I dunno

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
in North America, getting most of the populations vaccinated is going to be a nightmare. Canada has just under 38 million people (5.5 million or so in the Greater Toronto Area) and the US is like 328 million. I think even in Canada we'd be lucky to get 25% of our population vaccinated by June, the US I could see taking years. I could be wrong or underestimating the process but I dunno
One of Biden's first executive actions was aimed at increasing the production of, and getting out, more vaccines. So we shall see.

In none Pandemic related news, I've just ordered a new motherboard and processor. Cost me 400€, but I get it delivered home, and it is from a reputable source. Now I we'll have to wait and see if I need to reinstall Windows or not. Because if I do, It'll be another large expense. So, come Monday I'll have to contact my dentist and move my appointment to the summer months, because I simply can't afford it at the moment. Fortunately, I am not in pain, and the infected I had in the gums has finally relented. It just took 10 friggin' months of treatment, but it is finally gone.

motleyslayer

at least the pain is gone. I'd imagine trying to get medical treatment for anything non covid related is pretty hard rn.

One of my supervisors had to look for a reasonably prices graphics card for a few weeks because of how hard they are to find. Even PS5s are hard to find for a MSRP because they got scooped up so quickly and haven't been produced much to fill the need yet

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
at least the pain is gone. I'd imagine trying to get medical treatment for anything non covid related is pretty hard rn.

One of my supervisors had to look for a reasonably prices graphics card for a few weeks because of how hard they are to find. Even PS5s are hard to find for a MSRP because they got scooped up so quickly and haven't been produced much to fill the need yet
It wasn't painful actually, hadn't been since the about the seventh or eight week, the constant pus leaking out through a small wound in my gums however was incredibly annoying, and made my breath smell like I'd french kissed a zombie. Bleh.

I am pretty happy that I have the graphics card I have though, it was top tier when I got it, and it is still considered a good graphics card now, three years later.

motleyslayer

it's pretty much been a year since the lockdowns started happening a lot worldwide. It feels pretty weird but I guess at least we have vaccines now. I can't believe it's been that long

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
it's pretty much been a year since the lockdowns started happening a lot worldwide. It feels pretty weird but I guess at least we have vaccines now. I can't believe it's been that long
It's going to be at least as long before this pandemic thing is over.

motleyslayer

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
yeah there are a lot of things that won't return to what was considered "normal" before covid for quite some time. I think we'd be lucky to see in store play return before summer, let alone larger in person events. Same will be true for larger music events and sporting events at full capacity. Masks will probably be required until end of year at least

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
yeah there are a lot of things that won't return to what was considered "normal" before covid for quite some time. I think we'd be lucky to see in store play return before summer, let alone larger in person events. Same will be true for larger music events and sporting events at full capacity. Masks will probably be required until end of year at least
I think it is going to vary by country, it pretty much has to do with how many people get vaccinated or not.

Speaking of which, the Anti-Vaxxers finally turned violent over here yesterday. An illegal protest turned into a riot in the capital, and a police officer got severely harmed. :(

motleyslayer

there was even an anti-lockdown in my small town yesterday, which is weird because the full lockdown was lifted maybe a month ago in my area and now we're in the lowest of restrictions for now

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
there was even an anti-lockdown in my small town yesterday, which is weird because the full lockdown was lifted maybe a month ago in my area and now we're in the lowest of restrictions for now
What's really stupid is that Sweden never even had a full lockdown, heck, all we have is a mask mandate for public transportation, and a limit on how many people can visit a shop/restaurant/bar at once. It is literally the most lax restrictions in Europe. People are ducking stupid. >.<

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”