What's Your Opinion on Politically Correct / Woke Culture?

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

I've been meaning to get this off my chest for a long while though I imagine a lot of you guys are going to be triggered by this and If you do then you only have yourselves to blame. So I'm going to be straight up honest with you guys, I feel as though the term "Social Justice Warrior" or "SJW" has been perverted into a movement that goes against what real Social Justice Warriors should be doing by finding real solutions to worldwide problems and acting upon it instead of committing acts of cultural vandalism to sow discord even further. That's one of the big reasons why the Entertainment Industry itself is in such a mess right now. Ya know, "Get woke Go broke?"

Real Social Justice Warriors wouldn't portray themselves as fascists / marxists to push their own political agendas on others who don't agree with them when they're more focused on bringing the people that the fake SJW's have bullied against on social media together. Has anybody not learned from George Orwell's "1984"? People REALLY need to wake up and start using their good common sense. If this global quarantine from the COVID-19 Pandemic has taught us anything, it's to allow ourselves to come out of this better than how we were before. Yet when I read about people on Twitter actively criticizing something that doesn't go their way someone like TheQuartering, YellowFlash 2, and Hero Hei on YouTube has to post a news report about it.

People shouldn't have to be afraid to speak their own mind when they know something is wrong or isn't right.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
I imagine a lot of you guys are going to be triggered by this and If you do then you only have yourselves to blame.
People shouldn't have to be afraid to speak their own mind when they know something is wrong or isn't right.
I am not going to bother debating your point as a whole because it is bound to just devolve into a bunch of %$#%$#%. Mostly because of these two sentences. They are wildly inconsistent with one another. You start of by, effectively, saying that anyone who disagrees with the point you are trying to make is already in the wrong somehow. Then, you complain about people being afraid to be able to speak their minds about things. You can't have both. You can't ceremoniously reject any rebuttal right off the bat while at the same time claim you are open to people being able to speak their mind.

You don't want a debate or a discussion; you just want to tell people how right you are and why they are wrong.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

I suppose being in the wrong on something is a matter of perspective. The goal for us as a collective human species is to find common ground among our differences with one another. Everybody is different, not everyone is equally the same. If someone doesn't agree with someone else's opinion then they have every right to disagree though it shouldn't be something that's forced upon them. The Internet has transformed humanity with the help of social media outlets via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. into becoming more of a hive mind (much like Slivers in MTG and the Borg in Star Trek: Next Generation) instead of being allowed to think differently which is what makes us unique as a species in the first place.

Yet we're allowing technology to control our thoughts and emotions more so through the use of smartphones instead of being more in tune with our inner selves by connecting with others through social interactions in public. One of the biggest reasons why I got into Paper Trading Card Games / Collectible Card Games like MTG was due to the social aspect that I normally wouldn't get from playing Video Games when I was younger. It's something we often take for granted far too much nowadays. This isn't about me telling people how right I am and how wrong they are when it's about how we stay connected as a society on a human level instead of technology and political correctness making us more cold and distant.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

SpeedGrapher

Post by SpeedGrapher » 3 years ago

Everyone thinks they are doing the right thing because it feels good. Helping people is good right? Maybe.
There are consequences to any movement.
Woke culture is very bad for society. It's primarily about censorship, manipulating others to match a certain view point, then aggressively forcing that view point on others.
Then if you disagree with that view point. You will be banned, defunded, cancelled, in every manor of those words.
Most people in these movements have been told nice little lies their whole lives. That don't match up to how human beings function in reality.
Then you can't argue against the ideology because even when proven wrong it doesn't matter to them.
The ideology is all that matters. Until that ideology turns on you and you realize you were wrong.

We aren't coming out of the quarantine better. We are in the nice period right now. Things are going to get way worse. The level of worse that is coming makes me want to seclude myself in a bunker. Wait until the pay check protection program runs of of money soon. Wait until that $600 extra money for unemployment runs out soon. Then you start seeing more and more bankruptcies. More people losing their home to forclosure.
Wait until there are food shortages and the electricity goes off. Thanks woke culture.

Afraid to speak their mind? You know what the consequences for publicly speaking your mind against woke culture opinion are today? I don't think anyone wants to be endlessly harassed, threatened, lose their job or worse.

I only ask that you think about all of this. I don't need to debate with you. I can't convince you on my opinion either. I just want you to know that "woke" culture is hurting a lot of people.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

what is truth? is all perspective and what naratives are cultural

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Political Correctness / Woke Culture is one of the many social plagues affecting our society including COVID-19 ironically enough and the current U.S. President that Democratic Liberals love to hate being Donald Trump which is understandable as I couldn't bring myself to vote for him in 2016. I think what Trump really represents are the fundamental flaws of today's American society and how we overcome those flaws as one nation instead of allowing ourselves to continue being sheep where the false shepherd is really a wolf in sheep's clothing. The reason why people have been so blinded by the mainstream media and social media is because they refuse to think for themselves while allowing others to think for them.

We get so caught up in the algorithm that we don't take time to really reflect on what we're actually doing which this quarantine has provided us a golden opportunity with. So when we come out of this how do we change this instant gratification behavior that's actually done us more harm than good? We value patience more which is something that has been severely lacking in our society since the invention of social media with Facebook and Twitter. Social Media addiction is a real mental health problem and it's affecting today's youth where they've been chemically glued toward their smartphone / tablet devices. So how do we solve this problem given how social distancing only enhances this practice?

It seems as though convenience has become more of a drug nowadays than a viable asset.

- Ralph Smart

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

you've already framed the argument negatively, it's hard to reply in good faith. sorry

A lot of what people fear as "censorship" is actually self-censorship ie. having manners, taking other people's situations into account and thinking about whether the stuff yr about to say is just confrontational or taboo for your own ego's sake.

SpeedGrapher

Post by SpeedGrapher » 3 years ago

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Political Correctness / Woke Culture is one of the many social plagues affecting our society including COVID-19 ironically enough and the current U.S. President that Democratic Liberals love to hate being Donald Trump which is understandable as I couldn't bring myself to vote for him in 2016. I think what Trump really represents are the fundamental flaws of today's American society and how we overcome those flaws as one nation instead of allowing ourselves to continue being sheep where the false shepherd is really a wolf in sheep's clothing. The reason why people have been so blinded by the mainstream media and social media is because they refuse to think for themselves while allowing others to think for them.

We get so caught up in the algorithm that we don't take time to really reflect on what we're actually doing which this quarantine has provided us a golden opportunity with. So when we come out of this how do we change this instant gratification behavior that's actually done us more harm than good? We value patience more which is something that has been severely lacking in our society since the invention of social media with Facebook and Twitter. Social Media addiction is a real mental health problem and it's affecting today's youth where they've been chemically glued toward their smartphone / tablet devices. So how do we solve this problem given how social distancing only enhances this practice?

It seems as though convenience has become more of a drug nowadays than a viable asset.
People don't think for themselves because animals are inclined naturally not to think for themselves. That is called herd morality. If the herd decides that eating large amounts of sugar everyday is a good thing then people in said herd will do so.

Instant gratification: You can't change this behavior. There have to be consequences for a behavior, but their aren't any in many cases. That's why people do all of the drugs until their dead. A parent can instantly stop the social media/phone addiction you are talking about. But they don't because disciplining their child is hard work. So they don't do it. This problem can't be solved because disciplining your kids is bad and the government will take away your kids if you do. This is because people are afraid of their government. Because you will be jailed for an accusation of anything with no proof. So if your kid hate that you took away their phone. They could make a fake bag of cocaine. Plant it on you and then you get arrested. That means your kid has authority over you. Which also means it's way too late to start disciplining your child now. That should have started years ago. But it was hard. So it was never done.

I'm being a exaggerated here in that scenario. The main point being people rarely change their behavior without consequences.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Well on a side note, media has gotten more relaxed on what you can say which means that you have to reflect on what's being said and why it would want to be said in the first place. Plus with social media and stuff like YouTube where you have less moderation you also have more people who are willing to pull the mask off and show who they really are, so you'll see more instances of that happening quicker instead of finding out 20 years later like in the 80's.

- Ralph Smart

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 years ago

Op seeing your Boros shirt thread I'm pretty sure you don't know what your talking about and to echo what others said you don't seem interested in a real discussion or wanting to hear others peoples views.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

5colorsrainbow wrote:
3 years ago
Op seeing your Boros shirt thread I'm pretty sure you don't know what your talking about and to echo what others said you don't seem interested in a real discussion or wanting to hear others peoples views.
What makes you think I don't seem interested in a real discussion or want to hear other peoples views? Nobody's perfect so I don't know why you think I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to get their point across to other people. I normally didn't have any problems having conversations with other people online until now apparently. I'm actually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to MTG and how the business model of Local Game Stores (LGSs) work to some degree cause I have the experience to back up my claims as well as claims from other people who've actually been in those environments. It's hard to have a conversation about something If you're unable to relate to it.

Before the pandemic I've actually had conversations with friends at my locals regarding the issues surrounding the problems and challenges that face MTG and other Trading Card Games / Collectible Card Games like it in regards to the Local Game Store (LGS) not just as a business model but also a gaming hobby hub. I don't want to get too off topic but you see where I'm getting at right? I know Politically Correct / Woke Culture is a difficult discussion to have which is why I tried discussing it in the first place. I think the problem is that we want to follow what our common sense says about it instead of willingly being able to accept the viewpoint of what others say even If we think they're in the wrong because it doesn't make sense to us logically.

Guess I easily fall into that category. >_>

- Ralph Smart

K4yr4h

Post by K4yr4h » 3 years ago

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
People should be %$#% terrified to speak their mind if what they "know" is that one race is inferior or that poor people deserve what they get, or whatever.

People are sad that they can't get away with saying all the evil stuff they used to get away with. That's what all this whining about "cancel culture" is all about. They're used to getting away with it.

Well, you can't anymore. This isn't 1984 where the thought police will nail you for speaking out against the party; this is 2020 where if you hate people because of their skin color or sexual preference you're going to get lit up and no one is going to buy your book.
Last edited by pokken 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

K4yr4h wrote:
3 years ago
And...you listened to all of that, and agreed with it?

K4yr4h

Post by K4yr4h » 3 years ago

my attention span is long enough and i agreed, better said i believe what he studied.

here is a conversation about it:

the other topic got deleted and this board has the option to chose pronouns, so were on enemy territory here.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Whether we like it or not the culture of Magic: the Gathering as far as our community goes is currently shifting. 2020 has been a very strange year for many reasons, obviously the big reason being the COVID-19 pandemic and the effect on Local Game Stores (LGSs) that primarily focus on In-Store Play with Magic: the Gathering and it's competition in Paper Tabletop Gaming. A lot of LGS owners and employees have been behaving differently and more volatile which is what happens in business when they've been under a lot of stress to the point where they eventually break. When you own a Local Game Store (LGS) you're actually there to build a community and a community should be as inclusive as possible meaning as many different opinions.

Sure you may not agree with every opinion as there can be conservatives, liberals, and the reason they're not battling it out is because nobody goes to FNM to have a political conversation like, "Hey I hope I can destroy this person on these points. I've made a Power Point presentation at my Local Game Store about why Terese Nielsen is guilty or innocent and whether or not the MTG cards she illustrated should be banned, flushed down the toilet, defaced, or whatnot." That is typically not what you would be doing right but at the same time that's what's happening. When a LGS owner or employee decides to partake in these kinds of partisan politics then it's really hard not to take sides when the owner / employee says you're either with me or against me. It's a little silly.

Why it's silly for example is when Michael Jordan said even Republicans buy shoes as to why he wouldn't get political. When you're running a Local Game Store (LGS) how political do you want to get or should you create an environment which is friendly or should you instead create an environment for you? A lot of people treat their Local Game Stores (LGSs) as more or less as a mancave If you will as they only want their friends to visit as they don't want anyone else to visit and that's what happened. So there's a conundrum with Local Game Stores (LGSs) as being a hangout place for the owners' friends instead of an actual business. That's what's happening here is when you let your political opinions dictate who can and who can't come in the store that's very very bad.

So when you discuss segregation in terms of political ideology instead of race it's very strange. It's just incredibly strange that Local Game Stores (LGSs) that run and sell Magic: the Gathering products and events would take a stance on this because their main demographic doesn't want to deal with the politics which is the very reason why you play the actual Trading Card Game / Collectible Card Game in the first place. You want some form of escapism where you can escape from the craziness that's happening today and it's arguable that Arena / MTGO is a really good way for that despite the lack of public social interactions with others because it's not like you can talk with someone about what their political beliefs are when it shouldn't even matter.

Much like how politics don't belong at the dinner table (looking at you Disrupt Decorum) they also don't belong at the Local Game Store (LGS) especially with the owner and / or employees partaking in it. Though of course you can't really control your employees because what's going to happen is from a business perspective you end up segmenting your community as there's going to be a bunch of people who won't visit your LGS. They won't buy from you as you're hurting the ability for the community to grow because you've divided it by two essentially for all intents and purposes as only half of all U.S. citizens support Trump because you're politically biased. That's why social media with Facebook and Twitter feeds you things because it's based on the algorithm of your biases.

If you support Hillary or Biden for instance then you have friends who support Hillary or Biden. If you support Trump then you probably have friends who support Trump. So to you it might not seem like the other half exists so when you do run into someone whose a Trump supporter while you're supporting Bernie Sanders then it's kind of weird because you thought everyone was supporting this one particular politician or presidential candidate. In other words people are groomed to be biased in a certain way and when you're groomed to be biased in said way then you shouldn't be surprised when people have different opinions from you even though you kind of know but none of your friends know. It's okay to be open to ideas and beliefs as long as it isn't hurting anyone regardless of what their opinion is.

The point I'm getting at is that Magic: the Gathering is a really great environment because it doesn't matter If you're rich, poor, middle class, left, right, conservative, liberal, independent, libertarian, etc. when you can sit down and enjoy a game of Paper Magic and have fun with the exception of sexual predators and pedophiles of course. Nobody would enjoy that and I don't think anybody would. It makes no business sense to exclude 40% or even more of your potential business because not only are you hurting your employees, you're also hurting your local community. An LGS Owner is supposed to run a business and a business's main objective is to treat it like how they treat their own life. If an owner treats their LGS as their private hangout place then they only attract those kinds of people because they enforce policy that way.

They're not in that position and they never were. They're in a paycheck-to-paycheck position where they end up taking government funds in order to stay in business. So these LGS Owners will probably ask whether If they take over in fines and the answer is no they didn't have to since their business is doing very well. They're probably taking government funds and they're not going to last very long because why would these LGS Owners exclude 40%, 50%, or even 60% of their local community depending on where they live and operate? Why would you exclude a large majority of your people, your potential customer base? It literally makes no sense whatsoever for an LGS Owner and their employees to do something like that.

No retail business actively tries to say, "Hey you know what? We're not going to serve you, and you, and you!" Imagine a restaurant saying, "Sorry we only serve for conservatives" or "Sorry we only serve for liberals". That would be insane as they'd be sued beyond belief. Magic: the Gathering is sort of this imaginary realm where a lot of things that shouldn't happen happen and aren't actually real (excluding people based on political ideology) for a small business that is financially struggling should not even be on the table but apparently it is. Even If your Local Game Store (LGS) is making hands over fists of money you still don't want to be excluding certain customers based on ideology. Now If someone is racist, sexist, or a pedophile then that's a whole different story altogether.

If someone is trying to buy a Terese Nielsen card then it doesn't make that person the kind of villain they're being portrayed as on social media. How many liberals follow Trump on Twitter just to get angry at him? Are they doing it for money so they can become their own worst enemy when they give journalists news stories to sow more hatred and discord when people are just sick and tired of this "cancel culture" crap that's been going on for far too long now? Wedge from the Mana Source retweets Trump all the time on Twitter but does that mean he's a Trump supporter? Hell no! People really need to get their heads out of their butts and use their common sense for once in their lives. Is that really too much to ask for in this day and age? I shouldn't have to tolerate this kind of ignorance especially from the mainstream media.
Last edited by Card Slinger J 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

- Ralph Smart

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

Even If your Local Game Store (LGS) is making hands over fists of money you still don't want to be excluding certain customers based on ideology. Now If someone is racist, sexist, or a pedophile then that's a whole different story altogether.
The left paints ALL persons not within their group as racists. ESPECIALLY the ones who don't think they are racists. This gives them moral superiority to perform all kinds of rights violations and violence. They aren't really humans after all, they are just racist scum that should be eliminated.

Look at the past. Look at Germany. We have seen this before, it only ends one way: War is coming.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
Even If your Local Game Store (LGS) is making hands over fists of money you still don't want to be excluding certain customers based on ideology. Now If someone is racist, sexist, or a pedophile then that's a whole different story altogether.
The left paints ALL persons not within their group as racists. ESPECIALLY the ones who don't think they are racists. This gives them moral superiority to perform all kinds of rights violations and violence. They aren't really humans after all, they are just racist scum that should be eliminated.

Look at the past. Look at Germany. We have seen this before, it only ends one way: War is coming.
What's their definition of racist then If they aren't using proper rationale in what they claim to be standing for? I think what's happened is that they've allowed their anger to cloud their judgment to the point where they don't even know what they're angry about anymore when they seem to be doing this mainly for publicity.

As long as they're able to monetize their hatred regardless of it no longer being hatred in the literal sense then that's really all that matters to them. It's more about the message than the consequences of their own actions. At the end of the day it's nothing more than unnecessary scorched Earth politics.

- Ralph Smart

robertleva

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago

What's their definition of racist then If they aren't using proper rationale in what they claim to be standing for? I think what's happened is that they've allowed their anger to cloud their judgment to the point where they don't even know what they're angry about anymore when they seem to be doing this mainly for publicity.

As long as they're able to monetize their hatred regardless of it no longer being hatred in the literal sense then that's really all that matters to them. It's more about the message than the consequences of their own actions. At the end of the day it's nothing more than unnecessary scorched Earth politics.
It's been years since someone needed proper rationale to label a conservative as racist. ALL Conservatives are AUTOMATICALLY racists now because some non zero portion of the population is racist. Does it matter that there are a TON of racist liberal politicians (with ties to kkk etc)? Nope.

If you read my thread begging for healing of this country (deleted) you saw the raw, untethered hatred they feel towards us "racist enablers". The right is etiher a) Racist or b) Condoning racisim which is also racist.

There is no middle ground with the left, they want war.
Robert Leva

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago

It's been years since someone needed proper rationale to label a conservative as racist. ALL Conservatives are AUTOMATICALLY racists now because some non zero portion of the population is racist. Does it matter that there are a TON of racist liberal politicians (with ties to kkk etc)? Nope.

If you read my thread begging for healing of this country (deleted) you saw the raw, untethered hatred they feel towards us "racist enablers". The right is etiher a) Racist or b) Condoning racisim which is also racist.

A middle ground is the only way you're going to get diplomacy and negotiations to work. It's worked before in the past and it can work again in today's political climate. Also this is tied to the scars of the American Civil War of 1861 between the Union and the Confederacy that Abraham Lincoln helped end at least for the time being anyway.

I wonder what Lincoln would think of today's civil unrest in America compared to what he went through while he was in office as U.S. President? If Martin Luther King Jr. were still living he'd give another rousing speech to try to unite the nation like he did at the Lincoln Memorial with "I Have a Dream".

- Ralph Smart

robertleva

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago

A middle ground is the only way you're going to get diplomacy and negotiations to work. It's worked before in the past and it can work again in today's political climate. Also this is tied to the scars of the American Civil War of 1861 between the Union and the Confederacy that Abraham Lincoln helped end at least for the time being anyway.

I wonder what Lincoln would think of today's civil unrest in America compared to what he went through while he was in office as U.S. President. If Martin Luther King Jr. were still living he'd give another rousing speech to try to unite the nation like he did at the Lincoln Memorial with "I Have a Dream".
MLK would be sickened by BLM. It's the opposite of his message. MLK loved and fought for the rights of the REAL white supremists that wanted to kill him. That is how you unite a nation YOU love the people who hate you. These current SJW want to try to out hate those they believe to be their enemies.

They don't realize that hate, even if it is towards a sub human racist, is wrong. Hate cannot beat hate. Hate will only feed hate, and thus the hate on both sides grows until one side eliminates the other.
Robert Leva

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Fear leads to Anger.
Anger leads to Hate.
Hate leads to Suffering.

- Yoda

- Ralph Smart

robertleva

Here are two MLK quotes that I feel are very relevant to modern times:
MLK wrote:"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."
"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant."
I tell you now I am PRAYING that the second quote holds true to this day. I have two teenage sons that are just getting their lives started. They will live their whole adult lives in this "new world". So very much of what it meant to be a proud American has been lost and will never be recovered. I pray that God keeps them safe and watches over them. I have to let it all go and put it in God's hands.
Robert Leva

pokken

If you're that proud to be an American I think you probably need to read more.

robertleva

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
If you're that proud to be an American I think you probably need to read more.
This is our future.
Robert Leva

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”