What's Your Opinion on Politically Correct / Woke Culture?

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
If you're that proud to be an American I think you probably need to read more.
This is our future.

Educated about history? Yeah I can understand why that might be a concern for your worldview.

robertleva
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
If you're that proud to be an American I think you probably need to read more.
This is our future.

Educated about history? Yeah I can understand why that might be a concern for your worldview.
I am proud to be an American. No amount of social mob noise will make me hate my country or hate myself. I won't apologize for being white or being wealthy or being conservative, BUT I will also not hate the liberals and their world views. I will not agree with the views, and I will do everything I can to thwart their efforts but I refuse to hate the people themselves.

Was a time not too long ago where we could have different political views and still love the country as a whole. Those times are gone and won't return in my lifetime. Maybe they will come back in my sons' lifetime, after a war probably. We have a war every 15 years we are due.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

pokken

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
I am proud to be an American. No amount of social mob noise will make me hate my country or hate myself. I won't apologize for being white or being wealthy or being conservative, BUT I will also not hate the liberals and their world views. I will not agree with the views, and I will do everything I can to thwart their efforts but I refuse to hate the people themselves.

Was a time not too long ago where we could have different political views and still love the country as a whole. Those times are gone and won't return in my lifetime. Maybe they will come back in my sons' lifetime, after a war probably. We have a war every 15 years we are due.
I think you are confusing hatred for ideas with hatred for people.

This is going to sound harsh but I think if you don't hate America a little bit, you also need to read more. We're not the good guys. You can appreciate the good we've done in the world without being blind to all the evil. Hate the America that somehow got away with a holocaust.

No one is asking you to apologize for being white. That's again just pure ideological indignation talking. It's you re-framing the issue. Acknowledge that being white makes you a privileged class in America and vote against the party trying to perpetuate it. That's not apologizing for being white it's righting a wrong.

Please imagine me saying this very slowly for you and then ceasing interacting with you if you can't understand it:

Preference about whether or not to perpetuate a system of racial control cannot be reduced to a political difference of opinion.

robertleva

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago

I think you are confusing hatred for ideas with hatred for people.

This is going to sound harsh but I think if you don't hate America a little bit, you also need to read more. We're not the good guys. You can appreciate the good we've done in the world without being blind to all the evil. Hate the America that somehow got away with a holocaust.

No one is asking you to apologize for being white. That's again just pure ideological indignation talking. It's you re-framing the issue. Acknowledge that being white makes you a privileged class in America and vote against the party trying to perpetuate it. That's not apologizing for being white it's righting a wrong.

Please imagine me saying this very slowly for you and then ceasing interacting with you if you can't understand it:

Preference about whether or not to perpetuate a system of racial control cannot be reduced to a political difference of opinion.
You are charging an ethnic group with a collective crime! I don't care how much you THINK you are in the justified, it is NEVER EVER ok to do this!

EDIT: the underline part is mine
Robert Leva

pokken

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
You are charging an ethnic group with a collective crime! I don't care how much you THINK you are in the justified, it is NEVER EVER ok to do this!

No, you're failing your reading comprehension roll again.

Being born privileged is not a crime. Here's a for instance:

Being born a member of the royal family somewhere is not a crime. Bloodily putting down peasant revolts is a crime.

Privilege isn't a crime, perpetuating it is.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
To add to this, Hitler looked at the practices Americans did to the Naive Americans to kill them and and the segregation and other anti-black laws we had in the 1930's for his own laws and practices to kill the Jews. The Nazi are just a reflection of our own practices and history.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

robertleva

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago

No, you're failing your reading comprehension roll again.

Being born privileged is not a crime. Here's a for instance:

Being born a member of the royal family somewhere is not a crime. Bloodily putting down peasant revolts is a crime.

Privilege isn't a crime, perpetuating it is.
No, thank you. I'm not going to help perpetuate your line of thinking at all. In fact, I will do everything in my power to shine a light on your ethnic stereotyping ways whenever and where ever I can. I will not hate you, I will pray for the strength to not harden my heart towards you. My inner voice tells me that continuing arguing here is just feeding the very hate that I want to get rid of.

I have yet to figure out a way to talk about issues here (and basically everywhere else on the internet) without some dealbreaking issue for both parties involved coming up. How can we find common ground if there literally is none? Our hobbies like MTG / sports that used to bring us together are trivial and no one cares about that crap anymore.

In fact those things are being used to divide us further just like you see going on right here on this forum. We won't be satisfied until every single aspect of our lives has been segregated into "us vs. them". RIP friendly games of MTG at your LGS. RIP friendly sports banter at a bar. RIP any large gathering of people that isn't socially segregated.
Robert Leva

pokken

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
How can we find common ground if there literally is none?
From what I can tell you basically believe a bear is a walnut, so I don't see how we can have any common ground. Once you accept contradictions as truth the principle of explosion lets you believe any damn thing.

bear
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
ethnic stereotyping ways
walnut
pokken wrote: being white makes you a privileged class in America

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

We're getting pretty heated, and this just isn't the place for such a whole-world discussion.

There are many places on the net where you can have such discussions, and I know a lot of these issues are close to heart to some people, but a magic the gathering community just isn't the place for that. The Break Room is for off topic banter, relaxing with the rest of the community, and random discussions, not for major debate on world issues.

We have common ground here: Our love of playing magic. That only becomes trivial once we get off of that topic and start adding divisions from the world at large. The only kinds of divides we should have here, on this site, is whether we believe Counterspell should be in Modern or not, etc. As long as we stick to that, political divisions and what not become the trivial aspect. This is why we're not a place for such conversations: we are here to talk about magic, and as long as we stick to that (and light-hearted off-topic banter), things go smoothly. Once we cross the threshold of real-world divisive topics, we lose sight of why we're here.

I've spent the last year building this website and pouring my soul into it because I love this community. I don't care if you're right wing or left wing, what political beliefs you have, etc. As long as you can treat everyone with respect and dignity, the rest doesn't matter. That's really all we ask. Treat people with dignity and respect, and stick to magic.

this board has the option to chose pronouns, so were on enemy territory here.
This is the kind of thing that fails the "treat everyone with respect and dignity" part that we will always uphold. If something as simple as "I'm a he/she/they" (so that you know what pronouns to use) offends you, puts you on "enemy territory", and isn't something you can respect, then this is obviously not the site for you.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”