Books that hurt your heart

robertleva
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by robertleva » 2 years ago

I'm not sure if this is due to me getting older, but I find myself having a very difficult time with my bread and butter types of novels these days. The current series that I both love and weep during is Red Rising by P. Brown. This series tricks you into loving so many characters, then it rips them apart. I find myself having to take stop for days and even weeks at a time during the reading of these books to give myself proper time to mourn and grieve for these flawed friends.

It's not just this series, it goes back now for nearly all the novels I have read over the last year or so. Gritty detective novels, especially the ones where the main character is flawed or evil, I can't even read any longer. I used to love those types of books.

Is being more sensitive to these types of things a common function of age (I'm 42)? Do yall have books that rip you up so bad you have to take a break during the reading?
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

I don't think age has anything to do with it. It is rather a sign that you are growing more empathic, and that is a noble thing to achieve.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Hubert
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Hubert » 5 months ago

This! I completely understand what you mean. Age may play a role, but it's also a sign of real connection to the characters and story. I also had to take a break from some intense reading And switch to listening to audiobooks, if you are interested in audiobooks then I can share website here for you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Break Room”