Uploading decklists from Text file

Casters Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Casters Master » 3 years ago

Are there directions somewhere on how to upload a formatted "decklist" using a text file? I don't have MTGO, but I just created an EDH deck I want to post for feedback. I create my deck lists in excel on a windows laptop and can save a text file if I know what to format the data like.

As a new member I'm sorry if there is a post about this already. But using the search function I can't find it.

WizardMN
Answers: 125

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Can you share your list? It should be something as simple as creating a post with [deck][/deck] tags and just pasting your list into it. You will want to break it up in sections if possible, but a copy paste should work for the most part.

For example, if your data looked like this:

1 Birds of Paradise
11 Forest
1 Greater Good
1 Inferno Titan
1 Dark Confidant
13 Swamp

You can just paste that into the deck tag to get this:
Decklist

Lands

11 Forest
13 Swamp

Noncreatures

Approximate Total Cost:

That will format it nicely for you with card tags and everything. Do note that the quantities are required for cards. Anything without a quantity is considered a header and you will want to organize your list manually into those groups. Also, there are a lot of things you can do to make the deck list look nicer from changing the header color to removing the extra buttons.

Casters Master

Yeah! So I tried typing the list vertically like you showed with (deck)(deck)at the top and bottom. In the preview editor it is not working for me yet to group cards nicely. Any other tips? (btw hello from the Twin Cities!)
Decklist

[*]Creatures

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Casters Master 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

WizardMN

Hi! right back :)

Yeah, tags (at least some) don't really show up in the Preview Editor for some reason. But your list above looks fine. I would suggest just breaking it out by section to make it more readable. I didn't bother putting it into alphabetical order but that might be an option too. Like this (I took a guess at the Commander):
Medomai the Ageless

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Casters Master

@WizardMN How do you manually type in text to create the categories and format you showed me? I can click the gear button and do "standardize sorting," but it does not capture everything nor add "Commander."

WizardMN

You can just click on "Quote" above to see the BBCode of my post (which I would recommend doing if you found someone else's list that might look different), but here it is as well (and, of course, it doesn't retain line breaks, so just click on "quote" to make it more readable):
SPOILER
Show
Hide
[deck=Medomai the Ageless] Commander (1) 1 Medomai the Ageless Lands (36) 1 Tundra 1 Ancient Tomb 1 Maze of Ith 1 Flooded Strand 1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All 1 Prismatic Vista 1 City of Brass 1 Reflecting Pool 1 Sea of Clouds 1 Hallowed Fountain 1 Kor Haven 1 Tolaria West 1 Thespian's Stage 1 Halls of Mist 1 Dust Bowl 1 Evolving Wilds 6 Island 1 Mistveil Plains 5 Plains 1 Mystifying Maze 1 Reliquary Tower 1 Rishadan Port 1 Strip Mine 1 Terramorphic Expanse 1 Field of Ruin 1 Rhystic Cave 1 Wasteland Creatures (16) 1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre 1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope 1 Consecrated Sphinx 1 Sanctum Prelate 1 Hanna, Ship's Navigator 1 Snapcaster Mage 1 Drannith Magistrate 1 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV 1 Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker 1 Thassa, Deep-Dwelling 1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth 1 Loxodon Gatekeeper 1 Silent Arbiter 1 Chancellor of the Annex 1 Spelltithe Enforcer 1 Magus of the Tabernacle Instants (14) 1 Cyclonic Rift 1 Enlightened Tutor 1 Mystical Tutor 1 Mana Drain 1 Force of Will 1 Cryptic Command 1 Render Silent 1 Neutralize 1 Broken Concentration 1 Counterspell 1 Didn't Say Please 1 Disallow 1 Dissipate 1 Tale's End Enchantments (12) 1 In the Eye of Chaos 1 Smothering Tithe 1 As Foretold 1 Pendrell Mists 1 Words of Wind 1 Land Tax 1 Rhystic Study 1 Collective Restraint 1 Dissipation Field 1 Martyr's Bond 1 Mind Unbound 1 Monastery Siege Artifacts (11) 1 Chalice of the Void 1 Grafdigger's Cage 1 Crucible of Worlds 1 Sol Ring 1 Thought Vessel 1 Caged Sun 1 Thaumatic Compass 1 Commander's Sphere 1 Empowered Autogenerator 1 Spinning Wheel 1 Seer's Lantern Planeswalkers (4) 1 Jace, Ingenious Mind-Mage 1 Jace, Memory Adept 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor 1 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets Sorceries (4) 1 Wrath of God 1 Supreme Verdict 1 Armageddon 1 Catastrophe [/deck]
As mentioned, you can do a few other things to make it look nicer like change the header color:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Medomai the Ageless

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Or remove the buttons:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Medomai the Ageless

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

On the right side of where you type in your reply, there is a link that says "Learn how to use our BBCode" which provides a lot of helpfule information from as well.

And, to be honest, I didn't even realize "Standardize Sorting" was an option. @Feyd_Ruin does far too much for us for things like this :) I like things being alphabetical rather than by CMC, but thanks for pointing that one out to me.

Casters Master

Ok! I got it, and found the "how to." Here is the deck, I also posted in EDH casual, hoping for some feedback as a STAX deck. My own jank build based on STAX concepts.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander (1)

Martyr's Bond

Approximate Total Cost:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Community”