Link to tokens?

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

Is it possible in some way to use card or cardimg tags with tokens? I tried a few different things with no luck, so I was wondering if I was just missing something.

If not, that would be a great thing to be able to do.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

@ZenN
I've recently added a way to tag tokens, but haven't updated the guide yet as I'd like to have a better method of searching tokens first.
But you can tag them as follows:

[card]token_name|token|token_id[/card]

The TokenID is the hard part, but it's necessary since there's a great multitude of different types of tokens, with different P/T, different abilities, etc, but with the same name.

If you go to a set's tokens, like Theros, you can find the token you want there. Some sets have their tokens as "extras" (which will give you a link at the bottom of the set's listing), but most have their own token subset, listed at the bottom of the sets listing.

Let's say we want the Kraken from Theros.

The URL for that Kraken is:
cards/theros-beyond-death-tokens/extras/13661-kraken

The important part is the 13661. That's the token's unique ID.

To take that token, you would use:

[card]Kraken|Token|13661[/card]
[cardimg]Kraken|Token|13661[/cardimg]

Kraken|Token|13661
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

Fantastic. I agree the IDs are a bit unwieldy, but it totally makes sense.

Hmm. A single set doesn't generally ever have multiple mechanically different tokens of the same name. In theory you could set it up so that tokens just require a set specification, that way you always know what you're looking for.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

I started off looking at just using Name+Set for tokens, but there's actually a lot of sets that repeat the creature type (thus name) with different stats/abilities. Some types (Elf, Thopter) are almost always the same, while others (Elemental, Spirit) are all over the place and bad repeats are common.

MH1: Elemental|Token|13467 vs Elemental|Token|13468
UMA: Elemental|Token|12798 vs Elemental|Token|12802
UMA: Spirit|Token|12791 vs Spirit|Token|12805
M25: Spirit|Token|12642 vs Spirit|Token|12645

The list goes on :/

That said, my brain is churning on it.
I think we need a good card search for tokens (tokens are currently excluded from search), and a "Click here for your token link" or something.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

I just saw this. I had been copying the image address from tokens on scryfall and using the [image][/image] tag, but just using a token ID seems much easier. Any progress on adding tokens to the search function by chance? In the meantime, is it possible to organize the set id's chronologically or alphabetically. Trying to find the Core Set 2019 token list was a bit of a hunt :crazy:

Also, a test:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

I will be adding an "Extras" search soon.
I've got a couple of projects I need to finish quickly, but then I'm doing a "quality of life" update across the site hitting a lot of small things and redoing card search, including adding extras, before I begin the next big project.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Community”