The Format subsections might need some attention

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

I dunno if this has just been missed or something, but I asked this question a week ago and it hasn't had a response from moderation: How should I be using the general Standard board and Proven, Established, Developing?. I'm not posting here to request an answer, so much as to draw attention to something that seems amiss.

As I mention in there, the Legacy and Standard sections each have a "Proven" subsection in addition to "Established", but the Modern and Pauper sections only have "Established". I think that discrepancy needs to be addressed — do Modern and Pauper need a "Proven" subsection added, or is a "Proven" subsection unnecessary for Legacy and Standard?

I've also just noticed today that only Modern's subsections have any description saying what to use them for. The descriptions on Legacy, Standard, and Pauper subsections are all blank meaning we have no usage guidance. Could Legacy, Standard, and Pauper also get descriptions on their subsections describing how to use them?

(Personally I suspect the "Proven" subsection could go away on both to just have "Established"—it seems like having both is either redundant or splitting hairs. The usage guidance on Modern's "Established" subsection suggests it's for decks that have proven themselves, which is making me think these definitely are just the same thing?)

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Definitely need to add descriptions.

I'll ping the relevant mods in those areas to see if there's a way to streamline the subs.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

wildfire393
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wildfire393 » 4 years ago

spacemonaut,

There's a thread in the main section of the Legacy format that describes the precise breakdown used to split between Proven, Established, and Developing. We're using MTGtop8 metagame share numbers to make the actual call as to where something falls between Proven and Established, but the general idea is that Proven decks are ones that are an active and significant part of the current metagame, whereas Established decks, while still being repeatedly tournament tested and "finished", are less prevalent in the current metagame. Decks like Pox, Stax, Dredge, Painted Stone, Aluren, Nic Fit, Enchantress, and similar all have well-established builds, but don't actually make up a significant-enough percentage of the metagame to warrant being in the "Proven" section. They don't belong in "Developing" because the development is largely already complete. Barring some shocking new card additions, these decks aren't being actively developed.

I think Legacy is unique in this regard, however. Modern is a bit more mercurial of a format; there may be someone clinging on to an archetype that was relevant 3 years ago like Jund Death's Shadow, but they're largely not putting up numbers to the point where those need their own dedicated thread in Established. Standard certainly doesn't have this kind of breakdown, and there was some talk of re-arranging how Standard was handled that must have fallen by the wayside, I will make sure that gets revived.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

[mention]wildfire393[/mention] Thanks for the explanation, and thank you also for seeking to revive those discussions about the Standard forum. I agree Standard seems like it doesn't need that breakdown. It does sound quite appropriate to have a Proven subsection for Legacy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Community”