[DECK] Iteration 2

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Hello!

Today, we've rolled out an update to [DECK] to offer a more feature-rich, tool-driven experience. All [DECK]s now have a menu bar with new views and tools. I'm going to do a run down on all the features and new options for clarity and understanding.

The View Buttons

Decklist View
The decklist view is the normal view listing the cards and counts as we've all been used to. This is the default for all decks, unless overriden by the poster.
Example
Show
Hide

CMC View
The CMC View lists each card's Converted Mana Cost instead of card count. This is very useful in Commander where the card counts are known, or for getting a general idea of how each of the deck's sections curve out.
Example
Show
Hide

Prices View
The Prices View lists the per-each price of every card. This can show you the price rundown of the deck without having to hover every card to go into the tcgplayer bulk pricing tool.
Example
Show
Hide

Charts View
The Charts View offers statistics and breakdown graphs for the deck. This allows you to see the mana curve, average CMCs, card type ratios, and color ratios.
Example
Show
Hide

Draw 7 View
The Draw 7 View allows you to view a simulated opening hand, as well as to scry the top 10 cards thereafter. This will give you a good example of how the first few turns can play out.
Example
Show
Hide

New [Deck] Options

No Menu
There are times when you want to utilize the [deck] tag when you're not actually listing a full deck, such as when listing added/removed cards. You can hide the new Menu controls by adding the menu="hide" parameter to your [deck] tag.
Example
Show
Hide

Code: Select all

[deck="Changes" menu="hide" order="auto"]
Out
1 Shock
1 Stone Rain

In
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Demolish
[/deck]
Changes
Approximate Total Cost:

Initial View
If you want to override the initial view, such as showing the "CMC" tab to start, I've added a VIEW parameter. You can also combine a view with a menu="hide" parameter for quick, specific listings. You should not combine the two for a full deck list, however. Your readers should be able to have the control and options that they deserve.

You can control the initial view as follows:
ValueExampleResult
cmcview="cmc"Initializes with CMC View
pricesview="prices"Initializes with Prices View
chartsview="charts"Initializes with Charts View
draw7view="draw7"Initializes with Draw 7 View
Example
Show
Hide

Code: Select all

[deck="Budget Options" menu="hide" order="auto" view="prices"]
Spells
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Shock
1 Stone Rain
1 Demolish

Creatures
1 Balduvian Horde
1 Barbarian Riftcutter
[/deck]
Budget Options
Approximate Total Cost:

To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

A note for Commander:

It has become a common occurrence that Commander Decks list the card's converted mana cost instead of the card count of 1. This causes quite a few issues with features, as the system thinks those numbers are the card counts.

Instead, you should list the card count as "1" and add the view="cmc" parameter to your [deck] tag. This will list the deck with the more-informative CMC, and still allow all of the features and tools to operate correctly.

:)
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Known Issues:
For Commander/Brawl/etc, the "Draw 7" does not currently realize your commander/general is a card that exists outside of the deck. As such, it can be drawn or shown in the scry.

There are a few other minor things that I'm planning to add before long. I still have some things to work out with how to do it, so I don't want to list them before I know for sure they're coming. That said, I wanted to release this and get a good round of feedback for where we're at, so please comment and questions/concerns/ideas/etc below.

:)

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

This is utterly fantastic. I have two comments.

First is a thought. When it breaks down by color it makes a pie chart by color, and displays "percentages", adding up to 100%. I'm not actually sure what the color breakdown is by, I think it's by frequency of mana symbols, but I haven't counted it up to verify. Regardless, This sort of obscures the colorless part of the deck and the impact of multicolor, I wouldn't break down the pie chart further, I think this is a good visual for the color breakdown of the deck, but I feel the labels just adding up to 100% isn't useful information, and it'd be better served as more raw data. Like, elves and tron are going to be very different amounts of green, but could both display as 100% green, and I think it would be more helpful if it said the number of green cards or green symbols, however it's actually breaking things down.

Second seems to be a bug, when I did scry the top for my commander deck, it had two copies of Mirror of Fate. And then trying to replicate that, I get an Inferno Titan in hand and on top. It seems the scry top function might not know what's already been used.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Wow, this is awesome. Pretty much exactly what I'd have wanted. Very very nice work here.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Aye, the color ratio is based upon the actual symbol occurrence. It also process hybrids into their colors based on the otherwise existing ratio.
So add colorless mana into the mix as well? Maybe split this into two charts/views ("show colorless" button)?

That definitely seems like a bug in Scry, like it's not checking the "existing deck" accurately for.
I'll look into that, it should be popping the cards drawn out of the list so it can't redraw/scry/etc.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

"Image"

Hey cool, they changed the rules of EDH and we can run multiples now? :P

Draw simulator bug aside, this is all super fantastic, and as usual your documentation of all sorts of new stuff you introduced for day-to-day application is accessible yet comprehensive. Thanks a lot! I didn't even know I wanted this until I saw it.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 years ago
Aye, the color ratio is based upon the actual symbol occurrence. It also process hybrids into their colors based on the otherwise existing ratio.
So add colorless mana into the mix as well? Maybe split this into two charts/views ("show colorless" button)?
I like the chart itself as it is visually, and I like that it's broken down by symbol occurrence. My suggestion is that the percentage of the pie chart taken up by a color is less useful than the number it actually represents, especially since the pie chart already visually gives you an idea of percentages. What percentage of my mana symbols are blue is often less useful information than the actual number of blue mana symbols there are. So instead of telling me Zedruu is 52% blue, it could instead display that there are 48 blue mana symbols (or whatever the number actually is). I don't know I know if that would be an easy change, but I think it would be more informative that way.
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
"Image"
Side note: looks like a keep to me.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Ok, I found the bug with the draw 7.
I made a typo which was causing every card to appear an additional time.
>_<

Fixed.
(You might have the response cached, so you may have to CTRL+F5 before you hit "Draw7" on your deck again)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I see there is a tab for cost of cards but I don't see a total deck cost. I don't know how big of a deal this would be but if someone is looking to field something it might be nice to know what the list is worth even though nobody really every buys entire decks.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I see there is a tab for cost of cards but I don't see a total deck cost. I don't know how big of a deal this would be but if someone is looking to field something it might be nice to know what the list is worth even though nobody really every buys entire decks.
Seconded, this'd be cool if it's possible. It'd be nice to know what the numbers that my wife can never know actually look like.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Oh, ok, I guess...
Added! ;)
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Seconded, this'd be cool if it's possible. It'd be nice to know what the numbers that my wife can never know actually look like.
The new HideFromSpouse="true" parameter divides all prices by 10 to keep it cheap! :teach:
(just kidding)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

If I just click the deck key in the editor, does it show me these options? Or is that a bunch of assorted html I have to remember?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
If I just click the deck key in the editor, does it show me these options? Or is that a bunch of assorted html I have to remember?
All of the features come standard with any [deck] tag.
If you're wanting to specifically hide the menu bar, force the initial view to CMC, change color, etc, you'll need to add the parameters.

Having advanced popups that give you easy-choosable options is on the to-do list.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Couple minor pricing things:

"Image"

Sometimes the printing the pricegunner defaults to does not have a price, for whatever reason. Also, if a card is above 100 dollars, then it aligns kind of weird. Sure, dropping the change is good for compactness, but being weirdly aligned on the right is a little strange.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

The pricing tool is starting to reveal quite a few bad autocard choices. I'm going to run through and add more "don't autocard" flags on these.

For $100+ I guess I could left align it? Or would all the way right look better?

Guerte

Post by Guerte » 4 years ago

This is definitely a sweet update. Now I don't have to memorize or lookup CMC's myself! Lol.
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color
Daretti Primer Omnath Yarok
Gonti Primer Ezuri Aminatou

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Sometimes the printing the pricegunner defaults to does not have a price, for whatever reason. Also, if a card is above 100 dollars, then it aligns kind of weird. Sure, dropping the change is good for compactness, but being weirdly aligned on the right is a little strange.
I've made the $100+ prices align properly to the right.

I've also done some massive updating and turned the autocard flag off on about 6300 cards, so that should hopefully fix the pricing issue (as well as some others).

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

[mention]Feyd_Ruin[/mention] A buddy of mine pointed out that for commander in the draw function of the deckbuilder you can draw your commander. I checked and verified that it is a thing. Its not huge but I figured I would put it on your radar assuming its worth fixing / not super challenging to do so.

It might be tricky given that not everyone uses the same mechanics / layout but if you can find a way to identify who the commander of a deck is it might also be possible to do some sort of database to find decks for specific commanders as well.

I totally understand though if this request isn't something you want to do though. I just thought I would make sure you were aware of it in case you were not.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 years ago
Known Issues:
For Commander/Brawl/etc, the "Draw 7" does not currently realize your commander/general is a card that exists outside of the deck. As such, it can be drawn or shown in the scry.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Feyd_Ruin A buddy of mine pointed out that for commander in the draw function of the deckbuilder you can draw your commander. I checked and verified that it is a thing. Its not huge but I figured I would put it on your radar assuming its worth fixing / not super challenging to do so.
:crazy:
It's on my list.
might be tricky given that not everyone uses the same mechanics / layout but if you can find a way to identify who the commander of a deck is it might also be possible to do some sort of database to find decks for specific commanders as well.
Yeah, my brain is toying on it.
There's a couple things I still want to add, and Commander will work into that. The extent of it will be in iteration as I figure out what's possible and how

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

The easiest from a usage principle would be to have an additional commander argument go into the deck tag. The only other solution I can come up with now (a required "Commander" section in the list) would be far more arbitrary and nigh impossible to enforce.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Beautiful - thank you! I had to go fix my first decklist on the forum, but this tool is so great that I'm super excited to log the rest of them here now :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Community”