Favourite goofy Magic memories

CubJay
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

Just wanted to make a thread about sharing silly times had playing magic, moments that got the table laughing. Dumb stuff, like revealing my unblocked morph to have been a DURR-GURR all along, or gifting my opponent my hand-scribbled dancing saproling token, after the li'l "bopper" had played a critical role in preceding game.

My personal favourite was playing EDH with just a *terrible* deck, I mean literally whatever cards I had lying around that fit the colour identity. A Breya player killed the only other opponent with Aetherflux Reservoir, going down to 4 life, and passed to me. He talked up how certain his victory was against my pitiful board, but I had a Bouncing Beebles to bring him to 2. He was still confident as he untapped until I played Turnabout on his upkeep, tapping his lands, effectively getting a time walk. That day, I killed a man with a Beeble.

Anyway. Those are some of my goofy stories. What are yours?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

was playing legacy zoo. Then I cast what I thought was a lightning bolt, but had put down a grim lavamancer instead. lost that game. :dizzy:

when we were still noobs. in multiplayer - someone had a deathgazer waiting as a blocker, and he's claiming the gazer won't go down alone. Someone with flying attacked ang killed that player. :P
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Beyondnoxx » 4 years ago

I was at a standard fnm back in RTR block. Where I was playing my u/w control and had a good fnm. I was 5-0 Going Into last round. I sat Down in and faced a Rakdos all in aggeo. Was use to The matchup but was threw me up was turn One when he cast his Rakdos cackler said unleashed and placed a small coin on it with a picture of a teeth and a small talk boble Saying "Grrrrrrr!!!" I Saw laughing and har a Hard time focusing.
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

[mention]CubJay[/mention] Your story made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

Back when my friends got started with Commander we picked up the Commander 2013 precons. One of my spikey friends chose Prossh and I chose Oloro.

At one point my board is almost totally empty. I have no blockers. My friend had just cast Prossh for a lot of mana, and had a lot of Kobolds. Now is his time.

He swings at me with Prossh. Because my board is empty, he sacrifices every Kobold he's got. A lot of commander damage is aiming my way.

I sacrifice my Thopter Foundry to make a single Thopter to chump block him. We all laugh, he cries out in mock rage, I survive another turn. I cast Sharuum, I get my Thopter Foundry back, a board wipe is dropped, and eventually Prossh comes out again.

And again, I have no creatures. None at all. At this point my friend swings at me again with Prossh and I have at least 21 commander damage coming my way.

So I sacrifice my Thopter Foundry, again, which he hadn't noticed, and foil him with a Thopter.

I think I managed to just barely win that game later on too.
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

I was playing Bant enchantments Commander. All of my chants were creatures due to Opalescence. I alpha striked for the win, thinking I was safe from mass removal, especially due to Remand in hand. My opponent cast Settle the Wreckage. I returned it to his hand with Remand and drew a card, even though I had won. But the game wasn't over yet. I didn't notice that my opponent had enough mana sources to recast Settle the Wreckage, which he did, which cost me the game.

Another time, about 20 years ago, I was in a multiplayer game, staged to win on my next turn against burn in topdeck more. on my next turn. I was tapped out but was packing Force of Will just in case he top decked direct damage. Which he did. I swiftly countered it by pitching and paying life, positive that I'd just secured victory. That was when my opponent pointed out that I just spent my last point of life to cast FoW.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

I was playing in a Reject Rare Draft, and my opponent had a ton of creatures out (all bad creatures, but quantity has a quality all its own). I was going to die the next turn unless I drew some way to deal with them (and board wipes were few and far between in the format). I untapped and flipped a Kaboom. I shrugged, cast it, and flipped a 10-drop to end the game.

I then got Glen Angus to alter that Kaboom in memory of my enDERPing victory.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I played a 6 player game of commander several months ago. player on the complete opposite side casts obliterate to destroy all lands, didn't realize I had the mending of dominaria that was going to hit its 3rd chapter on my turn, which would give me back all the lands I just lost, so obviously I won because I was able o easily rebuild after that

Kajaxis

Post by Kajaxis » 4 years ago

I was in a match against my brother and I'd basically lost. When my turn came I used control magic to take one of his 1/1 tokens.

He looked at me and said really? Out of everything on my board you take the token?

His board was stacked with big creatures, but I was.dead anyway, so it didn't matter to me. It became a running gag, so now in games when we use a steal card we sometimes take the dumbest thing we can.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I remember another goofy time in Magic was GP Quebec City 2015. I remember at first being kind of disappointed because one of my buddies went off to basic training for the military that weekend and couldn't go but it ended up still being a great time.

I remember my whole card did quite poorly in the main. The plan was initially just to leave early in the morning because it was like a 6-7 hour drive and we didn't really wanna be out late when we all worked that Monday. So a few buddies and I went out drinking the Saturday night and spent a bit of money since we didn't plan on playing sides the next day. Then my other buddy and his girlfriend woke my other buddy and I up early the Sunday because they wanted to do a 2HG sealed event. so my buddy and I decided we'd be a team. Basically my buddy and I won the whole sealed event despite being hungover and joking around throughout our matches. I don't know how our opponents didn't get annoyed with us but that might be one of my favourite GPs even after all this time

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”