Project 'Booster Fun' Breakdown and Questions

Jae
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jae » 4 years ago

I've spent a while going through Mark Rosewater's announcement and have even queried WotC over some of the results I've arrived at. In the absence of reply, I thought I'd drop this here to see if some of you clever folk can point out where I've misunderstood/misinterpreted.

This breakdown is inclusive and explicit. Therefore, if Maro didn't state it cannot happen, it is presumed it can, although how often remains in question.
Rarities remain unchanged, but variant cards within each rarity will obviously be scarcer. Distribution to be determined as no metrics were provided in the article.

This breakdown is expansion-agnostic. (Throne of Eldraine specific notes are in italics.)

New Card Variants:

Showcase Frame – a unique design for each set, but only for a selection of cards – occurring at all rarities, and in foil & non-foil versions.

Extended art cards (as per Ultimate Edition Box Toppers) – only for a selection of rares and mythic rares, will have foil & non-foil versions

Borderless Planeswalker (as per Mythic Edition) with alternate art – unclear if all or a selection – but will have foil & non-foil versions

(Throne of Eldraine will have three Borderless Planeswalkers at Mythic Rare.)

Card Variants by Rarity

Common
Non-foil Card
Foil card
Showcase frame with alternate art
Foil showcase frame with alternate art

Uncommon
Non-foil Card
Foil card
Borderless planeswalker with alternate art (unlikely, but no specific exclusion stated, and unclear if would be all planeswalkers or just a selection)
Foil borderless planeswalker with alternate art (unlikely, but no specific exclusion stated and unclear if would be all planeswalkers or just a selection)

Rare
Non-foil Card
Foil card
Borderless planeswalker with alternate art (unclear if all planeswalkers or just a selection)
Foil borderless planeswalker with alternate art (unclear if all planeswalkers or just a selection)
Extended art (only for some rares)
Foil extended art (only for some rares)

Mythic Rare
Non-foil Card
Foil card
Borderless planeswalker with alternate art (unclear if all planeswalkers or just a selection)
Foil borderless planeswalker with alternate art (unclear if all planeswalkers or just a selection)
Extended art (only for some mythics)
Foil extended art (only for some mythics)

Token
Non-foil Card
Foil card (only found in the Collector's Booster)

Packaging

Draft Booster Pack
The 15+1 card booster we know, with a higher frequency of foils: now averaging 1 in every 3 packs.
Single version with varying wrapper art.
Contents consist of: 1 rare/mythic rare, 3 uncommons, 10 commons, 1 land, 1 ad card/token card
Might contain Borderless Planeswalker or Showcase Frame cards.
(NB: Throne of Eldraine will not include any common non-foil Showcase Frame cards in the draft booster)

Themed Booster Pack
35+1 cards with a thematic (not necessarily colour) link.
Variable number of versions. (Throne of Eldraine has 5, one of each colour)
Contents consist of: 1 rare/mythic rare, 34 commons/uncommons (always more commons than uncommons), 1 reference card
1 in 10 themed booster packs will contain 2 rares/mythic rares and 33 commons/uncommons

Collector's Booster Pack
English & Japanese language only – limited print run – 15+1 cards.
Single version, possibly with varying wrapper art.
Contents consist of:
1 rare/mythic rare with extended art (any card that doesn't already appear in the set as a borderless or showcase frame)
1 foil rare/mythic rare (can be standard, borderless, showcase or extended)
9 foil commons/uncommons (can be standard or showcase)
3 special-frame non-foil cards (showcase or borderless planeswalkers), any rarity
1 ancillary card (new cards not found in draft boosters, such as those unique to Planeswalker decks or Brawl decks)
1 foil token (only place to get foil tokens for the set. No emblems.)
(Throne of Eldraine Buy-a-Box promo will be a Collector's Booster with the Buy-a-Box card included)
(NB: Throne of Eldraine will only include common non-foil Showcase Frame cards in Collector's Boosters)

Planeswalker decks
Multiple versions (Throne of Eldraine has 2)
Contents consist of:
60-card deck with 10 cards unique to that deck:
1 copy of a mythic rare (the planeswalker the deck is built around)
2 copies of the same rare (card with an effect that also tutors specifically for the planeswalker card in this product)
3 copies of the same uncommon (usually a card synergistic with the planeswalker in the deck)
4 copies of a the same common (a basic effect to make the deck work)

Brawl decks
Multiple versions (Throne of Eldraine has 4)
Contents consist of:
60-card deck with 7 cards unique to that deck.
Life wheel – a card with a life counter in it.

Bundle
Single version (as per Core Set 2020)
Contents consist of:
10 Draft Booster packs
20 foil basic lands
20 regular basic lands
1 bundle promo card
1 oversized spindown life counter (20-sided)
Storage box
Last edited by Jae 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time. Go." - Henry Rollins

I write books - http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

The only confusion I see is that Maro has been explicit in that the boarderless walkers are only the ones in the set. So there are three atll at mythic for throne, Will, Rowan and a third unknown walker.

Jae

Post by Jae » 4 years ago

Added. Thanks.
"No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time. Go." - Henry Rollins

I write books - http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”