Conley Woods Arrested

robertleva
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by robertleva » 4 years ago

https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/mtg-str ... al-assault

MTG has been largely free of filth like this. Hopefully this is the last we see of this garbage in our community.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

if he really did those things. Then he should really be arrested.

did not know that this man is such a dangerous person..
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Crimson
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crimson » 4 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if WOTC scrubs his name from DailyMTG soon

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Can't believe how quiet everyone has been on this.
I mean thrown out of event for marked tron lands....HUGE. Everywhere. Gossip, discussion- talk of the town.
Famous player arrested for this.....and yet very few talking about it. I would like to think it is because they are abiding by innocent until proven guilty, but suspect that people just don't want to talk about this sort of stuff. Cheating gives us pantomime villains, where as this stuff is deadly serious.

rujasu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rujasu » 4 years ago

There was more talk Owen Turtenwald. I hadn't heard much about Conley Woods for years before this. He fell off of the Pro Tour after being one of the top players, and I don't think he ever got back on. So I think he had been out of the public consciousness for a while by the time this story came out. Additionally, there's not really any controversy here - we can all agree that this is completely awful, much worse than cheating at cards. There's not much else to say about it and I can't blame people for not wanting to talk about it much.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

drmarkb wrote:
4 years ago
Can't believe how quiet everyone has been on this.
I mean thrown out of event for marked tron lands....HUGE. Everywhere. Gossip, discussion- talk of the town.
Famous player arrested for this.....and yet very few talking about it. I would like to think it is because they are abiding by innocent until proven guilty, but suspect that people just don't want to talk about this sort of stuff. Cheating gives us pantomime villains, where as this stuff is deadly serious.
A person being thrown out of a tournament matters a lot because it's extremely relevant to the game we play. We talk about that not because "wow, a sensational thing happened!" but because of the direct relationship it has to us, people who may play at organised events. Not because we may want to cheat, but because we want to better understand the landscape of cheating, to avoid anything that resembles cheating ourselves, and to better recognise and understand it when someone else is doing it. There are tons of things to talk about and lessons to learn that relate directly to our own involvement in this game.

Someone getting arrested for criminal behaviour has no relationship to the game we play, so we don't have much reason to talk about it in our communities. It's abhorrent and awful—but other than that, what's there to talk about? What affect does it have on any of us? It is terrible, but nothing about it needs talking about. I hope his victims recover and get the justice they deserve, but what more can be said?

Sharpened
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

I don't think it's an "Innocent until proven guilty" thing.

It's just not directly Magic related, so once peoples initial reaction of "Wow, thats %$#% up" passes, there's not much more to say.

Having a HoF player get busted for cheating is something.

Even Owen's was quasi-MTG related as the discussion dealt with him leveraging his position in the community with predatory behavior. That, and the MPL removal.

For Conley, there isn't much to say. For now. If he tries to return to being a public Magic personality, there will likely be plenty of discussion and drama.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Yah, I get that all, but it is odd that other Mtg personalities like Todd Stevens got a bigger public kicking for out of game stuff. Maybe this is so beyond the pale that all you can do is say "yuk" and move on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”