Unique Mana Costs

Settemio
Triviamonger
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Settemio » 4 years ago

This is just for keeping record of all cards with a mana cost not seen on any other card. I have been compiling and updating it for a long time by hand, so there is room for error but I think it is presently completely accurate. If you see anything that looks like an error, please let me know.

Here is a link to a more visually pleasing presentation of the cards, with statistics on distribution of colors/CMCs.

I have chosen to sort them here into 3 categories, and within each category they are sorted first by increasing mana cost, with generic mana being considered a lighter cost than other types and {x} ignored. In the case of split cards, I am considering each half to have its own mana cost and ignoring the combined cost, even if it has Fuse.
119 Traditional Multicolor
Show
Hide
Punishment
Congregation at Dawn
Feather, the Redeemed
Gaze of Granite
Glissa, the Traitor
Goblin Flectomancer
Invoke the Firemind
Lightning Skelemental
March of the Multitudes
Slitherwisp
Souls of the Faultless
Undermine
Villainous Wealth
Voidslime
Wargate
Altered Ego
Reap Intellect
Clutch of the Undercity
Extus, Oriq Overlord
Firja's Retribution
Mystic Snake
Omnibian
Siege Rhino
Sigil Captain
Suffocating Blast
Widespread Brutality
Brightflame
Crackling Drake
Debt to the Deathless
Explosion
Punish Ignorance
Anthem of Rakdos
Enter the God-Eternals
Firja, Judge of Valor
Grave-Shell Scarab
Roalesk, Apex Hybrid
Swift Silence
Time Wipe
Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves
Tor Wauki
Isperia the Inscrutable
Obzedat, Ghost Council
Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God
Bruna, Light of Alabaster
Defiler of Souls
Firemane Angel
Hunding Gjornersen
Lord Magnus
Marhault Elsdragon
Ramirez DePietro
Armada Wurm
Aurelia, the Warleader
Dakkon Blackblade
Dragon Broodmother
Identity Crisis
Ramses Overdark
Body of Research
Krond the Dawn-Clad
Niv-Mizzet, Parun
Boros Battleshaper
Gruul Ragebeast
Barktooth Warbeard
Duneblast
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Hazezon Tamar
Jedit Ojanen
Skarrgan Skybreaker
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
Angel of Despair
Bladewing the Risen
Gosta Dirk
Koma, Cosmos Serpent
Harness Infinity
Brilliant Ultimatum
Clarion Ultimatum
Cruel Ultimatum
Eerie Ultimatum
Emergent Ultimatum
Genesis Ultimatum
Inspired Ultimatum
Ruinous Ultimatum
Titanic Ultimatum
Violent Ultimatum
Death Mutation
Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi
Magma Opus
Treacherous Terrain
Vampire Charmseeker
Filigree Angel
Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Licia, Sanguine Tribune
Maelstrom Wanderer
Mindleech Mass
Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver
Sphinx of the Steel Wind
Yavimaya's Embrace
Ashen Rider
Axelrod Gunnarson
Borborygmos Enraged
Chorus of the Conclave
Empyrial Archangel
Godsire
Hellkite Overlord
Razia, Boros Archangel
Sisters of Stone Death
Sphinx Sovereign
Arcades Sabboth
Chromium
Nicol Bolas
Palladia-Mors
Vaevictis Asmadi
Molderhulk
Zacama, Primal Calamity
The Ur-Dragon
Progenitus
Iname as One
Autochthon Wurm
103 Hybrid and Phyrexian and Eldrazi Mana
Show
Hide
Corrosive Gale
Dawnglow Infusion
Gut Shot
Marrow Shards
Postmortem Lunge
Surgical Extraction
Vault Skirge
Grixis Grimblade
Everlasting Torment
Gwyllion Hedge-Mage
Matter Reshaper
Porcelain Legionnaire
Spined Thopter
Dismember
Boggart Ram-Gang
Crag Puca
Immortal Servitude
Plumeveil
Stalker Hag
Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
Wistful Selkie
Shadewing Laureate
Belligerent Hatchling
Birthing Pod
Ruthless Invasion
Safehold Duo
Thought-Knot Seer
Voracious Hatchling
Harvest Gwyllion
Noggle Bridgebreaker
Arsenal Thresher
Marisi's Twinclaws
Messenger Falcons
Sewn-Eye Drake
Ashenmoor Liege
Creakwood Liege
Glen Elendra Liege
Thistledown Liege
Wilt-Leaf Liege
Daemogoth Woe-Eater
Maelstrom Muse
Quandrix Cultivator
Arcanist's Owl
Elite Headhunter
Oakhame Ranger
Rampart Smasher
Gift of the Deity
Glamer Spinners
Pith Driller
Act of Aggression
Dire Undercurrents
Elemental Summoning
Evershrike
Norn's Annex
Old Ghastbark
Waves of Aggression
Giant Ambush Beetle
Slave of Bolas
Balefire Liege
Deathbringer Liege
Murkfiend Liege
Worm Harvest
Deity of Scars
Demigod of Revenge
Deus of Calamity
Divinity of Pride
Dominus of Fealty
Ghastlord of Fugue
Godhead of Awe
Nobilis of War
Overbeing of Myth
Oversoul of Dusk
Advice from the Fae
Beseech the Queen
Flame Javelin
Spectral Procession
Tower Above
Endbringer
Grief Tyrant
Valleymaker
Gyruda, Doom of Depths
Moltensteel Dragon
Nucklavee
Rise of Extus
Thoughtweft Gambit
Thundering Tanadon
Dovescape
Gleancrawler
Fable of Wolf and Owl
Mindwrack Liege
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Returned Pastcaller
Deceiver of Form
Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
Biomantic Mastery
Debtors' Knell
Doomgape
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
Loamdragger Giant
Din of the Fireherd
Worldpurge
Reaper King
Kozilek, the Great Distortion
Last edited by Settemio 2 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Settemio
Triviamonger

Post by Settemio » 4 years ago

Here are the changes I have made since I first started keeping this list:

Scars of Mirrodin Update: Only change over the last two sets is that Genesis Wave meant Chord of Calling no longer makes the list.

Mirrodin Besieged Update: Same total number of cards as before. It that Betrays came off the list as it now shares with Blightsteel Colossus, and White Sun's Zenith took its place.

Commander + New Phyrexia Update: 16 new cards to add to the list from Phyrexian mana alone. I've grouped them with hybrid mana for the purpose of this thread. Geosurge removed Elemental Appeal from the list of monocolor. Surprisingly, Commander actually took off almost as many cards as it added. Guided Passage, Fervent Charge, Fungal Shambler, Lightning Angel all got removed thanks to new legendary wedge creatures. The only new addition in the form of "real" monocolor this update is Dread Cacodemon. With all the black fatties and mega-sorceries ever printed, I'm a little surprised there wasn't already one at this cost, but that's why I keep running the thread.

M12 + Innistrad + Dark Ascension Update: The only change is the new addition of Archangel's Light. Maelstrom Wanderer has been spoiled at this point, but I'll wait to add it to the list until it's playable.

Avacyn Restored + Planechase 2012 Update: -Reiver Demon, -Phytohydra, -Firestorm Hellkite, +Bruna, Light of Alabaster, +Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, +Maelstrom Wanderer, +Krond the Dawn-Clad, +Primal Surge, +Entreat the Angels

M13 Update: Diabolic Revelation added and that's it. I almost feel like I ought to have waited because the Return to Ravnica spoilers reveal huge updates to come.

Return to Ravnica Update: 1 new monocolored added, 4 new multicolor added, 1 new hybrid added. The biggest change this time around was all the cards taken off (7 multicolor and 8 hybrid). I'll list them here for record: -Enchanted Evening, -Torsten Von Ursus, -Double Negative, -Fulminator Mage, -Odious Trow, -Cloven Casting, -Izzet Guildmage, -Sapling of Colfenor, -Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, -Zealous Guardian, -Rakdos Guildmage, -Kaervek's Purge, -Morbid Bloom, -Azorius Ploy, -Augury Adept

Gatecrash update: -Slippery Bogle, -Gravelgill Axeshark, -Cemetery Puca, -Necromancer's Covenant, -Wasp Lancer, -Experiment Kraj, -Boartusk Liege, -Flame-Kin Zealot. A few came off, a few were added. Most of the numbers stayed about the same.

Dragon's Maze update: -Absorb, -Mycoid Shepherd. 7 new additions, all in traditional multicolor.

Theros + Born of the Gods update: +Astral Cornucopia, +Ashen Rider. No eliminations.

Journey Into Nyx + M15 + Khans of Tarkir update: -Vitalizing Wind, -Curse of the Cabal, -Borborygmos, -Ghave, Guru of Spores, -Riku of Two Reflections, -Epic Experiment, -Progenitor Mimic, -The Mimeoplasm, -Vorosh, the Hunter, -Teneb, the Harvester, -Numot, the Devastator, -Oros, the Avenger, -Intet, the Dreamer, +Bearer of the Heavens, +Empty the Pits, +Duneblast, +Garruk, Apex Predator, +Villainous Wealth, +Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, +Siege Rhino

Fate Reforged + Dragons of Tarkir+Origins update: -Angel of Jubilation, -Polar Kraken, +Sibsig Muckdraggers

Batttle for Zendikar + Commander 2015 + Oath of the Gatewatch + Shadows Over Innistrad + Eldritch Moon update: -Nimbus Swimmer, -Unwilling Recruit, +Dark Salvation, +Quarantine Field, +Matter Reshaper, +Thought-Knot Seer, +Altered Ego, +Endbringer, +Deceiver of Form, +Kozilek, the Great Distortion, +Emrakul, the Promised End

Kaladesh + Commander 2016 Update: -Gelatinous Genesis, -Glint-Eye Nephilim, -Ink-Treader Nephilim, -Dune-Brood Nephilim, -Witch-Maw Nephilim, -Yore-Tiller Nephilim, +Primeval Protector, +Treacherous Terrain

Aether Revolt + Amonkhet + Hour of Devastation Update: +Hour of Eternity, +Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver

Ixalan + Rivals of Ixalan + Dominaria + Commander 2017 + Battlebond + M19 Update: -Rushwood Elemental, -Myojin of Infinite Rage, -Isperia, Supreme Judge, -Karona, False God, -Simic Sky Swallower, -Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts, +Ghalta, Primal Hunger, +Vampire Charmseeker, +Gishath, Sun's Avatar, +Licia, Sanguine Tribune, +Zacama, Primal Calamity, +The Ur-Dragon

Commander 2018 + Guilds of Ravnica Update: -Archangel's Light, -Krosan Cloudscraper, -Lavalanche, -Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, -Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, -Trostani, Selesnya's Voice, -Garruk, Apex Predator, -Golgari Guildmage, -Wanderbrine Rootcutters, +Entreat the Dead, +March of the Multitudes, +Crackling Drake, +Explosion, +Truefire Captain, +Izoni, Thousand-Eyed, +Niv-Mizzet, Parun, +Pitiless Gorgon

Ravnica Allegiance Update: -Rakdos Augermage, -Ayesha Tanaka, -Ghost Council of Orzhova, -Plasm Capture, -Rakdos, Lord of Riots, -Tuknir Deathlock, -Jerrard of the Closed Fist, -Orzhov Guildmage, -Simic Guildmage, +Mass Manipulation

War of the Spark + Modern Horizons + M20 Update: -Cryptic Command, -Fangren Firstborn, -Izoni, Thousand-Eyed, -Pyrrhic Revival, +Lightning Skelemental, +Enter the God-Eternals, +Feather, the Redeemed, +Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God, +Roalesk, Apex Hybrid, +Time Wipe, +Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves, +Widespread Brutality, +Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis, +Omnath, Locus of the Roil

Commander 2019 + Throne of Eldraine Update: -Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, -Memory Plunder, +The Cauldron of Eternity, +Arcanist's Owl, +Deathless Knight, +Elite Headhunter, +Fireborn Knight, +Loch Dragon, +Oakhame Ranger, +Rampart Smasher, +Resolute Rider, +Thunderous Snapper, +K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth

Theros Beyond Death + Ikoria + Commander 2020 + M21 + Jumpstart + Zendikar Rising + Zendikar Rising Commander + Commander Legends Update: -Primal Surge, -Kitchen Finks, -Omnath, Locus of the Roil, -Truefire Captain, -Culling Sun, +Volcanic Salvo, +Slitherwisp, +Quartzwood Crasher, +Eerie Ultimatum, +Emergent Ultimatum, +Genesis Ultimatum, +Inspired Ultimatum, +Ruinous Ultimatum, +Zirda, the Dawnwaker, +Gyruda, Doom of Depths

Kaldheim + Kaldheim Commander + Strixhaven + Commander 2021 Update: -Stroke of Genius, -Tribal Unity, -Death Grasp, -Sphinx's Revelation, -Mystic Genesis, -Vampiric Dragon, -Woodlurker Mimic, -Biomass Mutation, -Pitiless Gorgon, -Zirda, the Dawnwaker, -Deathless Knight, -Fireborn Knight, -Loch Dragon, -Resolute Rider, -Thunderous Snapper, +Crackle with Power, +Exponential Growth, +Devastating Mastery, +Icebreaker Kraken +Extus, Oriq Overlord, +Firja's Retribution, +Firja, Judge of Valor, +Body of Research, +Koma, Cosmos Serpent, +Harness Infinity, +Magma Opus +Shadewing Laureate, +Daemogoth Woe-Eater, +Maelstrom Muse, +Quandrix Cultivator, +Elemental Summoning, +Rise of Extus, +Returned Pastcaller
Last edited by Settemio 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Settemio
Triviamonger

Post by Settemio » 3 years ago

It has been over a year since my last update, so there are many cuts and additions.

Also while reviewing the list this time, I noticed Oakhame Ranger's strangeness in the context of this list; there is another 'card' with Ranger's exact mana cost, but it is printed on Oakhame Ranger itself - Bring Back. I am choosing to keep Ranger on the list, but an argument could be made that its mana cost is not truly unique.

Settemio
Triviamonger

Post by Settemio » 2 years ago

Huge changes from Strixhaven. One funny thing that happened with this update was the new Extus, Oriq Overlord card both added itself to the list AND removed Vampiric Dragon from the list; I don't believe a single card has ever had that much impact on this list before.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”