Artifact Lands Appearance

SmashPortal
Pronoun: he / him

Post by SmashPortal » 4 years ago

Several of my commander decks are artifact-centered, so I've been using the artifact lands. One thing has bugged me about them, though; While they have the same abilities as basic lands, they have text in the textbox, instead of the mana symbol that takes up the textbox of a basic land. I came up with a rough draft for what I think artifact lands could look like. Here's my take on Great Furnace|C18:

ImageImageImageImage

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

The fact about the "mana symbol instead of text" is tied to the fact that the ability is intrinsic to the land type (basic, abur dual & co)
so lands that don't have a basic land type need to explicitly have the ability to add colored mana
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
The fact about the "mana symbol instead of text" is tied to the fact that the ability is intrinsic to the land type (basic, abur dual & co)
so lands that don't have a basic land type need to explicitly have the ability to add colored mana
This is pretty much it. I remember at least the original versions of the artifact lands had to explain that they are not spells to clear up confusion about that

Lights_A5

Post by Lights_A5 » 4 years ago

SmashPortal wrote:
4 years ago
Several of my commander decks are artifact-centered, so I've been using the artifact lands. One thing has bugged me about them, though; While they have the same abilities as basic lands, they have text in the textbox, instead of the mana symbol that takes up the textbox of a basic land. I came up with a rough draft for what I think artifact lands could look like. Here's my take on Great Furnace|C18:

The problem is that the mana symbol you see on cards mechanically does not mean anything. The actual ability of tapping for mana is tied to the fact that the lands have the land type of Island or Swamp and not tied to the symbol. They are simply decoration. Notice that

The artifact lands do not have the luxury of being Islands or Swamps, so they require the text on them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”