current M:TG products in a decent box

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

I miss deck builder's toolkits, with their promos and fun selection of cards and the sturdy box they came in. does anyone know what's replaced them? i want stackable oblong things which come in something more robust than the Commander deck boxes but nothing as big and wasteful as eg. Planechase Anthology

guess I could track down some old empty DBTKs if there's really nothing

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

them Arena Starter Kits are pretty disappointing and come in the same display design as commander decks, planned to be shown off in a shop and not particularly functional or stackable. I really don't wanna buy any more anonymous white cardboard card trays but if there really isn't a worthwhile magic product that doubles as storage...

2021/2022 has been disastrous for my interest in Magic and this just makes me realize it's a multi-faceted attack, not just Secret Lair, not just product glut, but also product impracticality

The N82O Molecule
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The N82O Molecule » 2 years ago

if I may

what I noticed is that "the man" will generate a great product. (lets say the original gift box (Ravnica) that came around during the holidays a few years back) and people will be, well, happy. and then they learn, see, ok they will pay this much for such a product (see secret lair land drops lol) and then they learn a way to suck, pull, extract, reduce, the product down to dust (see last holiday box made).

this has happened to this product

there are probably a few other examples. . .oh here's one. . .the size of the secret lair box. before. . .it was perfect for 2 sleeved edh boxes. like, perfect, like they planned it. or three sleeved regular decks. but I bet they learned people just throw them out (cause they probably only get feed back from whales on this haha) so they reduced the box down to something completely irrelevant for "storage".

ill advise stick to what you know and don't trust "the man". also those white storage boxes are ripe with personal touches on the outside.

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

I feel that gift boxes and deck builder toolkits were great intro products for players and good ways to get a reasonable amount of products.

I have several fat pack/bundle boxes I use to store various things and I like them a lot. They're pretty durable from my experience

Exares

Post by Exares » 2 years ago

I usually buy every Bundle, and I find the boxes perfect to store all my cards.
Apathy is death.
Varina, Zombie Queen
Edgar, Family Reunion
Sefris, Dungeons of the Forgotten Realms
Jhoira, Legendary Artifacts
Old Rutstein, Graveyard Weirdness
Raphael & The Infernals
Yawgmoth, Phyrexia Forever
Selvala, Wild Stampede
Jace, Always Jace

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I miss holiday giftboxes the most of all. they're just such great boxes.

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I miss holiday giftboxes the most of all. they're just such great boxes.
Yeah, me too. I was able to store most of my collection in one for a while. The Kaladesh one I think.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”