Excess boxes

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

So, I've been playing Magic for a while, and many of the products I've purchased over the decades came in a variety of boxes.

The obvious ones I use all the time, the Fat-Pack (Bundle) storage boxes are all in use, or at least the bottoms of them are all in use and a few of the lids.

But I have a large number of small deck boxes from precons, duel decks, premium decks, intro decks, etc. I have a big stack of the oversized commander deck boxes, I have several secret lair boxes, the long boxes with the planeswalker symbol that come inside recent bundles, boxes, boxes, boxes. And I never use any of them. Some of them fold flat and store easily, but many are glued and just take up a lot of space. They are awkwardly sized, most will not fit sleeved cards. Others are oversized enough that decks will slide around inside them, but too short to stand the cards on-edge.

I don't really know why I've collected them all, I suppose early on I kept the deck boxes to store my cards, then to carry by decks to play with my friends. But at this stage I have not used the vast majority of them at all, ever, and just collect them out of habit whenever I buy a new precon product.

It feels weird to throw them all in the trash at this point, since I have so many. If I'd tossed them as I got them, I don't know that I would have flinched so much.
So, I'm asking for opinions and advice from the community here. Is there something that can be done with all the boxes that I've overlooked?
I've seen a couple of empty boxes go up on eBay, but I have no idea if they actually sell, or if that is just wishful thinking.

In a similar vein, I've saved all of the rules-inserts that came with the decks too. They are less of a concern as they take up much less space, but I also don't have a use for them either.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I use booster boxes as convenient storage of the cards I don't put in binders. Mostly common and uncommons.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
So, I'm asking for opinions and advice from the community here. Is there something that can be done with all the boxes that I've overlooked?
A multimedia Magic collage would be cool if you're into crafts.
JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
I've seen a couple of empty boxes go up on eBay, but I have no idea if they actually sell, or if that is just wishful thinking.
Depends on the box. Are we talking an empty box for Legends or Strixhaven? Old* empty boxes in square condition can sell for decent amounts - that is, amounts worth the effort, IMO. Not to mention the satisfaction of keeping collectible packaging memorabilia out of a landfill. Several years ago, I sold several empty boxes of various kinds and brands including Magic, Nintendo, and others for quite the return on investment. But I was already selling everything under the sun so it was a seamless process at the time. Setting up shop just to sell a few boxes might not be appealing depending on your situation. If you have valuable empty boxes but aren't inclined to sell them online yourself, perhaps a LGS that sells online will give you store credit for them.

*10 years or older
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
I don't really know why I've collected them all, I suppose early on I kept the deck boxes to store my cards, then to carry by decks to play with my friends. But at this stage I have not used the vast majority of them at all, ever, and just collect them out of habit whenever I buy a new precon product.
I use the old deck boxes as spacers in my fat packs, bcw boxes, and holiday gift boxes to help keep half-filled rows of cards from falling over. You can turn them on end, on their sides or backs, to get different width of spacing, and combine them like legos :P

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

I used 80 count boxes to store bulk commons/uncommons (which I really need to move at this point). I used fat pack boxes for a variety of purposed, like storing basic lands I use for either deck building or limited. I also store loose sleeves and unopened packs of sleeves in fat pack boxes. I surprise myself with other uses I've found for fat pack boxes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”