Guessing colors of Lord of the Rings characters

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

With the UB Lord of the Rings expansion next year, I thought it would be fun to guess which colours would match each character.
Then when the set is released we can gripe about how they obviously messed up

Maybe we can take turns on characters. I can compile them in the OP.

First up, something I am very serious about. If Galadriel is Blue or White I will be furious.

Galadriel - BG
1. She cares immensely for preserving nature, and uses her elven ring to maintain Lorien.
2. She is power-hungry and wanted to rule, and was seriously tempted by the Ring of Power.
The card has to be themed around paying a cost to do something for your lands. Like a Courser of Kruphix that you pay life to make extra land drops or something.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 2 years ago

I think that Galadriel has completely lost the black part of her personality by the time of Lord of the Rings. Anyone would be tempted by the One Ring, that's what it does. Galadriel successfully resists it when its offered to her. Its meant to show her rejecting ambition, and in doing so the Ban is lifted from her. She advises Frodo to take actions that will end up destroying her kingdom (destroying the One Ring will eliminate the powers of the Three, undoing most of what makes Lorien special), because it is for the greater good. I see her as GW, or possibly GWU. Green for the typical elfy stuff, and ruling a forest realm unlike Elrond or Cirdan or other Noldo. White because she favors order and has a typically white moral compass, because she is active in the White Council, because like all Noldo she is partial to civilization, and because her cautious long game strategy against Sauron feels more white than green (given how the two colors play), and her use of Nenya to repel evil through magical means rather than force seems like more of a white ability. Possibly blue because of her gift of prophecy, because of Nenya was the ring of water, because like all Noldo she had a longing for the sea and an association with the sea, and because she recognized that Sauron could not be defeated by force but through trickery and subtle means. Her realm, Lorien, is also rather Bantish, though leaning more Selesnya.

For the Fellowship: The Hobbits are all White/Green, they are suited to the tamed nature of the Shire and not really at home in true nature nor in more built up areas, and they all display personality traits associated with both colors. Frodo additionally has a good deal of blue in him, being educated and valuing knowledge, multilingual, well read, and inquisitive. Legolas is mono green, he's a prototypical sylvan Elf, raised in the Woodland Realm. Gimli is Boros, like most dwarves in Tolkien tend to be. He's proud and fiery of temper, a loyal friend and fierce warrior, and like most dwarfs partial to tradition and orderly life. Aragorn is yet another WG character, with the G coming primarily from him having been a ranger most of his life. As the story goes on, he shifts increasingly to mono white. Gandalf the Grey is Jeskai, he values knowledge and uses deception whenever it suits him for blue, he's driven by his mission to defeat Sauron and is an overall good guy that cares about the free people's of Middle Earth and has immense compassion (especially for the weak) for white, and he's a passionate lover of life in a way the feels very red and is partial to fire magic (wielding Narya, the ring of fire) and keen to jab at authority when it rubs him the wrong way. Once he becomes Gandalf the White, he is much more mono white. His preference for fire magic gives way to one for light based magic, speaks with greater authority and directness, and relies most upon the white aspects of his personality. Boromir is probably Mardu, he's a passionate, desperate, and rash soldier/prince that deeply cares about the welfare of his people and is willing to do whatever it takes to defeat Sauron, but he's also ambitious and feels like the line of Stewards should have long ago become kings, and enjoys the personal glory his martial prowess earns him.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

As far as I am aware, and it's been a while since I read Silmarillion, but Galadriel didn't feel black to me at all. She was motivated by fury and anger when she took part in the war against the Dark Lord Melchior who stole the gems, but not greed or ambition. She became queen because she was the last of her house left standing when the whole deal was over. She was also entrusted with one of the three elven rings to keep them away from Sauron, which is not something that would have happened if she hungered for power. She showed Frodo what she would become if given the one ring to persuade him to not give it to her. She knew the one ring would corrupt her.

Old Galadriel (Silmarillion era) would be red/green. LotR era Galadriel is primarily green, possible with some white.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Dunharrow

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
As far as I am aware, and it's been a while since I read Silmarillion, but Galadriel didn't feel black to me at all. She was motivated by fury and anger when she took part in the war against the Dark Lord Melchior who stole the gems, but not greed or ambition. She became queen because she was the last of her house left standing when the whole deal was over. She was also entrusted with one of the three elven rings to keep them away from Sauron, which is not something that would have happened if she hungered for power. She showed Frodo what she would become if given the one ring to persuade him to not give it to her. She knew the one ring would corrupt her.

Old Galadriel (Silmarillion era) would be red/green. LotR era Galadriel is primarily green, possible with some white.
she didn't follow Feanor to ME, she went because she wanted to rule and have power, which would never happen in Valinor.

Dunharrow

onering wrote:
2 years ago
I think that Galadriel has completely lost the black part of her personality by the time of Lord of the Rings. Anyone would be tempted by the One Ring, that's what it does. Galadriel successfully resists it when its offered to her. Its meant to show her rejecting ambition, and in doing so the Ban is lifted from her. She advises Frodo to take actions that will end up destroying her kingdom (destroying the One Ring will eliminate the powers of the Three, undoing most of what makes Lorien special), because it is for the greater good. I see her as GW, or possibly GWU. Green for the typical elfy stuff, and ruling a forest realm unlike Elrond or Cirdan or other Noldo. White because she favors order and has a typically white moral compass, because she is active in the White Council, because like all Noldo she is partial to civilization, and because her cautious long game strategy against Sauron feels more white than green (given how the two colors play), and her use of Nenya to repel evil through magical means rather than force seems like more of a white ability. Possibly blue because of her gift of prophecy, because of Nenya was the ring of water, because like all Noldo she had a longing for the sea and an association with the sea, and because she recognized that Sauron could not be defeated by force but through trickery and subtle means. Her realm, Lorien, is also rather Bantish, though leaning more Selesnya.
I get what you are saying. she did reject the ring, which is specifically not black. but everything leading up to that moment was clearly BG. she wanted power. she wanted to rule. those were her motivations.

AjaniVengeant
Filthy Casual

Post by AjaniVengeant » 2 years ago

My guess for Aaragorn is likely WG or Bant. Given all the time he spends outdoors and his general good nature. I could also see blue added in either due to his intellect or as a nod to his descent from the Numenor.

Androk
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Androk » 2 years ago

Since I didn't see him mentioned, I'll say B/R for Gollum.

Dunharrow

Androk wrote:
2 years ago
Since I didn't see him mentioned, I'll say B/R for Gollum.
I just wonder if they will do a DFC and make a Smeagol / Gollum card. Maybe a modal DFC where you cast either side and the Smeagol side would be BW?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Fellowship guesses (based on a combo of their portrayal in the books and films) -
Aragorn: GW. Others have pointed out the reasons why. He has plenty of U-ish character traits but they're not that salient.
Legolas: G. He's the prince of the Woodland Realm. The Silvan Elves are the closest to later, more stereotypical fantasy elves in this setting.
Gimli: R. Boisterous, probably enjoys battle the most out of any Fellowship member, stubborn. Plenty of Tolkien's dwarves have W in them but that's not that fitting with Gimli. Also, he has a vulnerable, emotional side, as Galadriel proves.
Gandalf: URW. Wise and mysterious wizard. Wielder of fire magic and fireworks, who's not afraid to show his angry side when somebody does something very bad. And a literal messenger from the gods.
Frodo: GWU. All hobbits have plenty of connection to G. Frodo's selfless acceptance of his duty as the ringbearer makes him W despite his moments of weakness - which he overcomes. He also has a scholarly bent, and is good at the Elvish language.
Sam: RGW. Has a strong emotional motivation in his loyalty to Frodo. When the power of the One Ring tempts him he sees himself as a great warrior, which shows RW ideals.
Merry and Pippin: RG. Both have most of the typical hobbit personality traits plus a big taste for carousing.
Boromir: WB. Honorable and willing to do anything for the sake of his nation, but also overly proud and easily tempted by the Ring's power.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dunharrow

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Fellowship guesses (based on a combo of their portrayal in the books and films) -
Aragorn: GW. Others have pointed out the reasons why. He has plenty of U-ish character traits but they're not that salient.
Legolas: G. He's the prince of the Woodland Realm. The Silvan Elves are the closest to later, more stereotypical fantasy elves in this setting.
Gimli: R. Boisterous, probably enjoys battle the most out of any Fellowship member, stubborn. Plenty of Tolkien's dwarves have W in them but that's not that fitting with Gimli. Also, he has a vulnerable, emotional side, as Galadriel proves.
Gandalf: URW. Wise and mysterious wizard. Wielder of fire magic and fireworks, who's not afraid to show his angry side when somebody does something very bad. And a literal messenger from the gods.
Frodo: GWU. All hobbits have plenty of connection to G. Frodo's selfless acceptance of his duty as the ringbearer makes him W despite his moments of weakness - which he overcomes. He also has a scholarly bent, and is good at the Elvish language.
Sam: RGW. Has a strong emotional motivation in his loyalty to Frodo. When the power of the One Ring tempts him he sees himself as a great warrior, which shows RW ideals.
Merry and Pippin: RG. Both have most of the typical hobbit personality traits plus a big taste for carousing.
Boromir: WB. Honorable and willing to do anything for the sake of his nation, but also overly proud and easily tempted by the Ring's power.
Nice list, but a couple disagreements:
1. Gandalf has green in him. He gets along so well with nature. I get that he can use fire but I do not find him Red in personality. His fire is also more of a cleansing white kind of fire so I would prefer him Bant.
2. Frodo is pretty white. Yes, he has green and blue elements, but during his journey he loses them. He is basically a mono-white self sacrificing hero.
3. Sam when he wears the ring has these grand ideas about amazing gardens. I don't think he seems himself as a warrior at all. He is just so loyal he will stop at nothing. GW seems right to me. I don't see the red at all.

If you delve into any character enough you can see 3-5 colors. I think they will try to limit most characters to 1-2 colors unless absolutely necessary. Having emotions and liking to drink are not enough to make characters red in my opinion, at least for gameplay purposes.

Dunharrow

Theoden and Denethor are great characters that reflect each other, as seen in their names - theoDENethor.

Theoden is pretty white. Denethor is pretty black. I hope they have abilities that oppose each other.

Faramir should be Blue. There is a bit of white there for sure, but his actions are mostly driven by logic.
A big challenge in this set, I am sure, is to avoid making all characters Wx or Gx. Tolkien wove white heroism into all the good guys, and green love of nature into his whole novel (so naturally bleeding into many characters.

Elrond, despite being an elf, seems entirely blue. I could see UW or monoU. I think because so many legendary creatures will be W or G they will need to put characters in other colors wherever that is possible.

Saruman is pure UB, and I hope he has an ability to steal creatures.

Tom Bombadil should be a planeswalker with only negative abilities. He only helps you for a bit then goes off on his merry way. Seems pretty green, of course.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”