Remembering exerted creatures

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Hi, if anyone here plays a deck with cards from Amonkhet that have the "Exert" keyword.. out of curiosity, what do you use to remember that a card has used exert? Personally, I place a small coin on top of it to not forget that it is exerted.. using dice would be confusing, because some of the cards in my deck use dice for other things.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Putting a counter of some sort on the cards is generally the best option in my experience. Not dice of course, as I use them to denote things that scale like +1/+1 counters, -1/-1 counters, loyalty, poison, experience, etc.

Personally I use a small handful of colored glass beads I have to use when marking cards as not untapping during my next untap step.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Borrowing off of another card game, "tap" a card by turning it 90-degrees (sideways); "exert" a card by turning it 180-degrees (upside down).

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

:3 Amonkhet had bonus cards which were perforated sheets of exertion counters, -1/-1s and bricks you could punch out and use. I got enough boosters to get about ten of those and I still have them, though they get bent easily. (between the punch out cards and the embalm/exalt creatures, Amonkhet block has the weirdest tokens by far!)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

nice to see the various methods other players have for exert. :)

have seen those exertion counters, and wanted to get some. Unfortunately, scg does not have them when I looked..
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FetalTadpole

Post by FetalTadpole » 3 years ago

Tap it backwards. If you normally tap to the right, tap it to the left. That's how I mark permanents that don't untap in general. Then when you untap, tap it to the right.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I've always found the 180 tap (turning it to 90 degrees during your next untap step) to work best. It is the clearest, as coins and counters have the potential to be mistaken for +1/+1 counters (unlikely, I know, but it does happen).

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I didn't really like the exert "counter" you got from packs as I found them easy to lose (same with the markers for ability counters in Ikoria).

What I did was pull the card halfway out of its sleeve for the period where you couldn't untap it. Obviously that has its own issues but that helped me

NGW
Legacy/Commander

Post by NGW » 3 years ago

The only card I run in any deck with exert is Combat Celebrant and if I'm swinging with him I'm always exerting so...don't really need the reminder.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
I didn't really like the exert "counter" you got from packs as I found them easy to lose (same with the markers for ability counters in Ikoria).

What I did was pull the card halfway out of its sleeve for the period where you couldn't untap it. Obviously that has its own issues but that helped me
I have a small cloth bag filled with dice, and various counters. Found it to be a good way not to lose things that are small. :)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”