If you could delete 1 card from MTG what would it be?

robertleva
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

Rules: Card is deleted from all formats, regardless of what formats it is currently playable. No ban list discussion please.

My choice: Prized Amalgam. This card has enabled the strategy that I find to be the most obnoxious in all of Magic: Dredge. The prevalence of dredge in a format has been directly related to my enjoyment of said format since the mechanic was introduced. What card would you remove?
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

For me it'd be Humility because having everyone's creatures turned into vanilla isn't any fun. Remember how crappy a lot of the Monster cards from the very first Yu-Gi-Oh! sets were because there were so few with abilities that became staple cards in every deck at the time? I have a whole shoe box full of those cards that I can't even Buylist at my LGS because they're practically useless unless used for Tribute, Fusion, or Ritual Summoning.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

Honestly I'd probably get rid of Dryad of the Ilysian Grove . I just don't like how it's kind of caused Primeval Titan decks to just be jammed into one deck rather than having 2 different decks in modern.

Also probably honourable mention to Uro because how good it is

robertleva

Interesting choices. I can definitely see Humility especially being format warping, I hadnt seen that card before.
Robert Leva

M00NSIDIAN
Pronoun: they / them

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 3 years ago

Right now I'm just kind of feeling uncharitable toward Lion's Eye Diamond. Not the MOST busted thing in the world, maybe, but it still has a LOT of issues.

To show you how out-of-it I am regarding Magic, I had to go look up Prized Amalgam. I don't think that's THE core problem re: dredge, but it is potentially one of the more annoying dredge cards. Maybe ejecting it from standard, I haven't played Standard since around when Khans came out because I started going to a different store that did Tuesday night commander events.

Humility is a good one to give the axe, though, because it is a rules minefield. Play Opalescence with it and watch older judges have war flashbacks!

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 3 years ago

Golos, Tireless Pilgrim. On Salvation I had put a lot of work into a modular 5 color deck, with different tribal themes and a core set of cards. It's kinda sad to see a commander that is essentially better than any of my on-tribe commanders.

robertleva

LED seems like a prime candidate. So broken.
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

delete Chalice of the Void. I play storm and prowess.. sometimes a tiresome chore when I have to deal with this artifact.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

after a bit of thinking, I gotta give an honourable mention to Leyline of Sanctity . It doesn't do anything game breaking but as a primarily player of Thoughtseize type card player, white leyline is quite annoying

ConstantMists

Post by ConstantMists » 3 years ago

Without a doubt it would be Cyclonic Rift . Every other card I can think of that does similar things affects the caster as well and is a sorcery speed spell. This card is just a win out of nowhere effect that every format could do without.
Current Commander decks: Zurgo Helmsmasher - Borborgymos Enraged - Elenda, the Dusk Rose - Doran, the Seige Tower - Sliver Overlord - Yarok, the Desecrated - Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Hazoret the Fervent - Purphoros, God of the Forge - Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Marath, Will of the Wild - Ramos, Dragon Engine - Ruhan of the Fomori - Narset, Enlightened Master - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Dragonsoul Knight (Pauper) - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas (Precon)

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

maybe Gray Ogre? I've collected for years and drafted and tried to play as many cards from my collection as I can, and I'll never be sold on the need for fully vanilla creatures. Maybe things like Woolly Thoctar and Gigantosaurus are permissible? but printing stuff like Highborn Vampire just feels like punishment to me.

Zendikar Rising has really few vanilla creatures and I find a lot of the commons interesting, which I'm thankful for. I think that New World Order philosophy they brought in after Morningtide is vaguely insulting. I'd rather sets were smaller than less complicated! sorry for the rant
sorta mad at magic right now

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Ginuqu wrote:
3 years ago
Zendikar Rising has really few vanilla creatures and I find a lot of the commons interesting, which I'm thankful for. I think that New World Order philosophy they brought in after Morningtide is vaguely insulting. I'd rather sets were smaller than less complicated! sorry for the rant
(They've slowly been ramping up the complexity at common, because they found that newer players actually ask people if they aren't sure exactly how a card works. It is particularly noticable in Ikoria and Theros:BD.)

As for what card I would like to see deleted from MTG forever? Hmm... a though choice, there are quite a few I'd like to see gone, but today I am going to go with Runeclaw Bear, it was only created because the creative director at the time took offense to normal animals in MTG and decided to ban Grizzly Bears.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”