Best MTG-related uses for your Patreon dollars.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

A few months ago, I reevaluated where my Patreon money was going, and I'm looking to add one or two more. Do any of you give any money to MtG-related content creators? Right now, I've only got three:

MTG Nexus: this place is awesome you guys. @Feyd_Ruin and company have done an amazing job with Nexus, and not just the forums. Have you seen the cool resources on the home page, like the life pads, life tracker, or collection tracker? Nexus is dope and I hope it stays around forever.

Scryfall: the best card database and it's not even close. Scryfall is everything Gatherer should be and much, much more. I'd say their contribution to Magic in general is woefully underappreciated. But I appreciate it, dammit.

Tolarian Community College: just about everyone here knows the Professor. I think he's the best advocate for players we have right now. Most of all, he's honest and sincere. He doles out praise for WotC when they do things right or release killer product, and he holds their feet
to the fire when they mess up.

So that's where my money's going at the moment. I may increase what I'm giving to the existing ones. I used to donate the the Command Zone, but all of their content has become bloated, overproduced, self-congratulatory, and worst of all, boring. I've been digging what Mitch has been releasing with Commander's Quarters, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

What say you, Nexus? Are you donating to any MTG luminaries or content creators? Do you plan to if and when it becomes financially viable for you to do so? Got any thoughts on crowdfunding in general? Got any hot tips on creators that deserve my money? Let's hear it!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Tolarian Community College
I don't think it gets much better than the Prof. Not sure if you heard about his giveaway for Trans Lifeline a week or so ago; he aimed to hit $20k for them and ended the giveaway with a little over $120k.

To my mind he is a beacon of what this game should mean as a community, and I was really humbled to see what Brian and a group of his content creator contemporaries could achieve. You could not give your generosity to a better place.

Also seconding Nexus though, this place is awesome.

Honorable Mention: One More Mana. These guys have done a few guest spots on TCC, and they're straight up hilarious. I feel like it's a bit of an acquired taste, but I love their stuff and their channel should be a lot more populated than it is. They also have a series dedicated to the more theoretical, sociopolitical aspects of Commander and those are really interesting views based on concepts that you really don't see discussed all that often. Also, having seen a little gameplay, there's absolutely zero chance I could be in a game with Ken and keep my composure.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”