Teferi, Time Raveler is suspended.

Brawl

Teferi, Time Raveler is banned.

Effective Date: August 3, 2020
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... nouncement

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

it's a pretty big announcement. they didn't really show and mercy this time around, which is probably needed given states of most formats.

They essentially made Wilderness Reclamation , Growth Spiral and Teferi, Time Raveler rotate a few months early and pre banned cat before it became de facto best deck.

In Pioneer, they completely got rid of the best decks. People weren't playing the format because of them and numbers showed that. This will hopefully get people to play and brew the format again

Suspending rec and teferi in historic should open the format up and encourage brews

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

It's rather brave of them to do something like this. A lot of ballista players in pioneer are probably enraged right now.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

I think while it is brave, it is something that will probably be good in the long run. Pioneer was hurting a lot, with play down a lot since this pandemic. Which is awful for a pretty new format. It was because of how unfun the top decks seemed, so they needed to do something

the standard bans aren't too bad, as they only really caused an "early rotation" of most of the cards they banned, as they were gonna rotate in the fall anyways

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

For standard the ban I am most excited about is actually Cauldron Familiar, though I would've preferred to see Witch's Oven banned over it. The more I've played against it and Witch's Oven, the more I've realized it is sort of like Field of the Dead in that it is hard to interact with (as if they play their triggers right it can be hard to even clear with graveyard hate outside of Cry of the Carnarium), creates inevitability, can stop aggro dead in its tracks, and probably most importantly really bogs the game down in a ton of triggers.

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

I am just glad we never have to listen to the "WOTC won't ban decks just because they are unfun" argument EVER AGAIN. The clowns at wotc CAN listen to their player base it seems and make the right call. This is one good move in a sea of awful, awful decisions, but hey I will take what I can get, for now.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

Has Wizards of the Coast already given up on Modern at this point?

Seems like hardly anything aside from Arcum's Astrolabe has been banned for the last several months If not longer.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

motleyslayer

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Has Wizards of the Coast already given up on Modern at this point?

Seems like hardly anything aside from Arcum's Astrolabe has been banned for the last several months If not longer.
They probably wanted to wait until they had more data to make more changes to modern. I believe Ouat was banned pre quarantine but that feels like ages ago

The pioneer bans should have happened before and standard has been a dumpster fire for months because of the cards banned.

Command
A Causal Tryhard
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Command » 3 years ago

Funnily enough these suspensions in Historic makes Goblins more viable than it already was as Muxus, Goblin Grandee avoided suspension.
Tryharding games without truly trying.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Well these bans were necessary the standard one's happened too late

I'm surprised ballistic wasn't banned in pioneer sooner I thought it would be gone as soon as heliod 2.0 hit the format

But reminder to everyone there's still one plague card left and this is every format but commander

And that's Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath Aka there's still another growth spiral to get rid of

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
And that's Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath Aka there's still another growth spiral to get rid of
I was honestly surprised that Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath didn't get the banhammer instead of Growth Spiral. It's just business as usual with Wizards of the Coast where they want to make as much money on popular expensive cards before they feel they're of no use anymore similar with Oko, Thief of Crowns. Gotta make MTGFinance happy right?
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

motleyslayer

The reason that Growth Spiral got banned instead of Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath is because spiral rotates in the fall anyways so banning it isn't a huge deal when we wouldn't be able to play it in the fall anyways. While Uro has been around for a while and is probably a problem in multiple formats, they try and ban older cards first

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”