Noah Bradley "let go" by wotc?

User avatar
The Fluff
is this so?
Posts: 1701
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Gradius Home World
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 87 times
Contact:

Titles & Recognition

Post by The Fluff » 3 months ago

Not sure where to post this topic, a mod please close this thread if not allowed.
Today, I was at another forum, then saw a post saying Noah Bradley was "let go" by wotc. Is there a truth to this? Would he still be doing mtg art or not?

The news surprised me.. so need a bit of verification on this.
Expand Signature
Image
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // OE 2016 // POF 2018
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 2329
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 850 times
Been thanked: 664 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by pokken » 3 months ago

Expand Signature
EDH
UW Ephara Hatebears [Primer], UBWR Opus Thief CEDH, URG Omnath Rug elemental landfall

User avatar
The Fluff
is this so?
Posts: 1701
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Gradius Home World
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 87 times
Contact:

Titles & Recognition

Post by The Fluff » 3 months ago

thanks, so it's true after all.

another artist bites the dust.
Expand Signature
Image
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // OE 2016 // POF 2018
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 2329
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 850 times
Been thanked: 664 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by pokken » 3 months ago

I was thinking about it and you know how many amazing artists there are in the world? So dang many. I have multiple friends who are artists of a quality to draw magic cards.

Not like there's a shortage of amazing artists who aren't creepers.
Expand Signature
EDH
UW Ephara Hatebears [Primer], UBWR Opus Thief CEDH, URG Omnath Rug elemental landfall

User avatar
The Fluff
is this so?
Posts: 1701
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Gradius Home World
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 87 times
Contact:

Titles & Recognition

Post by The Fluff » 3 months ago

I guess there really is a legit reason to kick him out.
Expand Signature
Image
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // OE 2016 // POF 2018
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

User avatar
robertleva
Posts: 416
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 139 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Post by robertleva » 3 months ago

At least this is a legit reason based on (seemingly) criminal behavior. You will notice, however, that they are unwilling to fork over the cash to make sure his upcoming art doesn't get printed. Their principles are less important than their bottom line it seems.
Expand Signature
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck
Image

user_938036
Posts: 228
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 13
Pronoun: he / him
Been thanked: 51 times

Post by user_938036 » 3 months ago

robertleva wrote:
3 months ago
At least this is a legit reason based on (seemingly) criminal behavior. You will notice, however, that they are unwilling to fork over the cash to make sure his upcoming art doesn't get printed. Their principles are less important than their bottom line it seems.
As a business, this is the one thing you can count on.

Their principles only exist to further their bottom line. Though most people create their principles retroactively as well.

onering
Posts: 498
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 289 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Post by onering » 3 months ago

I agree that using the art he already produced undermines their argument (and let's face it, companies tend to allow bad behavior until they feel public pressure), but their stance isn't that his art is offensive, but that they do not want to continue to employ someone who does what he did. They already paid for the art that he already delivered, so printing that art is not continuing his employment. It would have been a stronger statement if they replaced the art for all upcoming sets, rather than just the ones that are furthest out or easiest to change (because they have actually said they are replacing some of his art), but it's not itself a necessary step, especially considering how far in advance of releases that product gets made, packaged, and shipped.

That said, I'm interested in how aware wizards was of this guy's behavior over the years. Keep in mind this is in the context of the company having a controversy over how they choose to hire artists and accusations of racial discrimination being levies at them. This guy's art isn't bad, but it's not great or special, and if he had these rumors dogging him but they picked him over similarly talented artists who aren't creepers that's a bad look.

User avatar
RxPhantom
Pharmacist
Posts: 442
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Southern Maryland
Has thanked: 388 times
Been thanked: 190 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by RxPhantom » 3 months ago

pokken wrote:
3 months ago
Not like there's a shortage of amazing artists who aren't creepers.
This is the crux of the issue for me. I don't expect WotC to vet the personal lives of their artists, but I do expect them to listen when allegations come to light. This whole thing bums me out though. I met him at a GP and he was really cool. He signed a bunch of cards, talked with me about a few of them, etc. I'm a big fan of is work. I cannot, however, turn a blind eye to his behavior, and I think this is the right move.

Side note, can you imagine how many awesome Louis CK specials we'd have had by now if he wasn't a horrible sex monster?
Expand Signature
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 6/29/20 (Core Set 2021).

My (inactive) 720 Peasant Cube

User avatar
motleyslayer
Posts: 719
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Titles & Recognition

Post by motleyslayer » 3 months ago

I saw a few people on twitter retweet something Noah shared a few days before WotC made their announcement. Once I saw Noah's post, I wasn't surprised WotC took this action.

Getting rid of any associations with people like this is the correct move

User avatar
Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Posts: 1496
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: A cave somewhere in Scandinavia
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Post by Krishnath » 3 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 months ago
pokken wrote:
3 months ago
Not like there's a shortage of amazing artists who aren't creepers.
This is the crux of the issue for me. I don't expect WotC to vet the personal lives of their artists, but I do expect them to listen when allegations come to light. This whole thing bums me out though. I met him at a GP and he was really cool. He signed a bunch of cards, talked with me about a few of them, etc. I'm a big fan of is work. I cannot, however, turn a blind eye to his behavior, and I think this is the right move.

Side note, can you imagine how many awesome Louis CK specials we'd have had by now if he wasn't a horrible sex monster?
As he wasn't particularly funny to begin with, just crass, none?

I can't really say I am surprised that WotC are cutting him off, If even half the things I've heard about Noah is true, then he is a real piece of work.
Expand Signature
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

User avatar
robertleva
Posts: 416
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 139 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Post by robertleva » 3 months ago

user_938036 wrote:
3 months ago
robertleva wrote:
3 months ago
At least this is a legit reason based on (seemingly) criminal behavior. You will notice, however, that they are unwilling to fork over the cash to make sure his upcoming art doesn't get printed. Their principles are less important than their bottom line it seems.
As a business, this is the one thing you can count on.

Their principles only exist to further their bottom line. Though most people create their principles retroactively as well.
Lol spot on!
Expand Signature
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck
Image

User avatar
The Fluff
is this so?
Posts: 1701
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Gradius Home World
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 87 times
Contact:

Titles & Recognition

Post by The Fluff » 3 months ago

pokken wrote:
3 months ago
I was thinking about it and you know how many amazing artists there are in the world? So dang many. I have multiple friends who are artists of a quality to draw magic cards.

Not like there's a shortage of amazing artists who aren't creepers.
sorry, forgot to reply to this.

yeah, I agree. Have been seeing some fanart floating around google that are just as good as real mtg cards.
Expand Signature
Image
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // OE 2016 // POF 2018
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”