Godzilla alt-cards design thoughts

Atraxian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

What are your thoughts on the Godzilla cards?

My unpopular take...
As much as I like the idea behind the alternate art of godzilla cards and like the design of the frame, I despise the fact that they will be tournament legal.

Cards are supposed to be recognizeable at a glance, even from some distance.
These not only make it difficult to read the name of the card unless you have a magnifying glass, but also completely change the art and framing, wirh something completely unrelated, but also change the name of the card leaving an abysmally small scribble with the original, tournament legal name under it.

I like them as collectibles, but I can't shake the feeling that they would have been better as their own original cards with silver borders thrown in as a bonus, instead of turning tournament legal cards into a confusing mess.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

ilovesaprolings
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

I want to see all of them before judging. Imo they did some mistake (making King Caesar and Mothra nonlegendary) but maybe the remaining cards will fix this (like the Legendary Caesar did)
But i am a commander player, so my opinion is biased. Playing a deck led by Mothra or Biollante would be awesome

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

I imagine they put Mothra on that card because it was the only fitting one, as for it not beigng legendary, a pity for commander players, but it really doesn't need to be legendary as 2 of them on the field are redundant.

If it was only the legendary creatures getting the godzilla treatment, that wouldn't be so bad, but they are giving the same treatment even to uncommon cards and even reusing characters multiple times.

Might just be me, but I hate when they purposefully make the boardstate difficult to read just for a gimmick.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

On the topic of difficult to read boardstates. The Amonkhet Invocations were Deliberately made illegible. So they jumped that shark a long time ago. Comparing the two, these Godzilla alters are much better as the text is unchanged so they use the actual cards name rather than the alter.

They thought it would be cool to look at the card and go "Neat hieroglyphs" then weeks later after having seen the cards dozens of times you go "Oh, are those actual English words? How did I not notice that?"

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I really like the Godzilla themed cards, even if they do become harder to recognize. It's cool they fit outside Magic characters in

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
If it was only the legendary creatures getting the godzilla treatment, that wouldn't be so bad, but they are giving the same treatment even to uncommon cards and even reusing characters multiple times.
Honestly i agree. Feels weird to have limited uncommon as kaiju monster, and feel bad to open them instead of a mythic when you buy a box

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

w77q3s4y0fq41.jpeg

I'm thankful they did not use something like the amonkhet egyptian style writing in the text...

The godzilla cards have text that look readable enough. I have no complains.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

hopefully that awful text on the invocations stays just on them. I can't see them using it again as it was supposed to be hieroglyphs

I think using the extended art instead of the frame is something that would be fine for them to stick with for alternate frames

also it's gonna take me a while to get used to seeing ability counters such as "flying counter". Does anyone know if this is gonna be something that will stick?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

First, I want to say that I'm fine with people liking things I don't like. Ok, now that that's over, these are stupid and confusing. I never thought I'd be disincentivized to buy a box. I'm also not excited to track stats on creatures who get to be, like, a foot long.

Oh, and what's more confusing and stupid is their execution on this Booster Fun crap. What can you get in what kind of pack? I still have no clue after three sets of this. My dissatisfaction with this is separate from the Godzilla thing, for what it's worth.

Almost everything about this set rubs me the wrong way.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

I think the Godzilla theme is pretty funny. Not for me, but very funny to see. I was honestly very surprised that this even happened.

Is the BAB the only art for that card? If it is, that's my biggest disappointment.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

I'm someone who believes the IP streams should NEVER cross, but as long as it never becomes canon and stays out of lore, I'm not going to waste my time complaining. People are going to be losing their minds trying to buy up Collector Boosters even more than with other sets and it'll make the Showcase and extended art cards even cheaper.

They absolutely dropped the ball by not making a non-Godzilla version of Zilortha.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”