Which card has the most unique pieces of art?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Hey all. I'm in the middle of building a JumpStart cube, and I realized that several of my two-color packs should have Evolving Wilds to assist with fixing. I thought it would be interesting to use unique arts in each pack. There. Are. So. Many. It got me thinking (and I love minutiae like this), which card has the most? Is it actually Evolving Wilds? Maybe Disenchant or Dark Ritual? Are there any unappreciated pieces? I really like Richard Kane Ferguson, so I likes me some Mirage Boomerang|Mirage.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

It has got to he Forest !!

I think, Stone Rain , Negate and Dark Ritual are all beyond the 10 arts. The new premium versions thing help

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I guess I should have specified that basics don't count. They're clearly the winners.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

MaritLage
Catholic Nun
Pronoun: she / her

Post by MaritLage » 1 year ago

Adarkar Unicorn . I haven·t seen anything like it since .

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

MaritLage wrote:
1 year ago
Adarkar Unicorn . I haven·t seen anything like it since .
lol. Thank you for this.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

As far as basics which I know don't count, it could be Mountain since it has the extra Arabian Nights printing.

Counterspell has a dozen unique arts.
MaritLage wrote:
1 year ago
Adarkar Unicorn. I haven·t seen anything like it since .
Links are nice especially when talking about art. 🙂 I love the art for it, too.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
As far as basics which I know don't count, it could be Mountain since it has the extra Arabian Nights printing.

Counterspell has a dozen unique arts.
I guessed forest because of the random one in a recent artist secret lair. But there are jumpstart products too. Too many to count.

Cards like weird to think so many counterspell arts came in the past few years. 2 in mystical archive, another one at least in modern horizons 2. Premium versions changed to count a bit

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 1 year ago

So, based on a quick parsing of Scryfall's Bulk Data JSON file for Unique Arts, Forest is indeed top of the list with 265. Island and Mountain are at 264 each. Plains is at 262 and Swamp is at 259.

The next one after this is the Double Faced Substitute Card at 45 (not really sure if this would be accurate; it seems high but it is something I don't really pay attention to). The next actual card after the basics is in fact Evolving Wilds at 15. Counterspell is at 14 and Lightning Bolt is at 13.

Granted, I didn't do a ton of validation on this data so there is the possibility something slipped through the cracks (and the data includes tokens which I didn't exclude for now so I might have missed something) but this at least seems somewhat plausible.

MaritLage
Catholic Nun

"Ohhh , yu said "How many individual , differentiated pieces" ."
(She/Her) English is not my first language
#███<Good Good AM/PM>__
#███████<In Deed .>__

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I feel obligated to call out Teferi, Master of Time with 12 unique pieces of art... from a single set. Not that I can tell the difference between any of them. >.>

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

WizardMN wrote:
1 year ago
So, based on a quick parsing of Scryfall's Bulk Data JSON file for Unique Arts, Forest is indeed top of the list with 265. Island and Mountain are at 264 each. Plains is at 262 and Swamp is at 259.

The next one after this is the Double Faced Substitute Card at 45 (not really sure if this would be accurate; it seems high but it is something I don't really pay attention to). The next actual card after the basics is in fact Evolving Wilds at 15. Counterspell is at 14 and Lightning Bolt is at 13.

Granted, I didn't do a ton of validation on this data so there is the possibility something slipped through the cracks (and the data includes tokens which I didn't exclude for now so I might have missed something) but this at least seems somewhat plausible.
This sounds like cool hacker stuff that I couldn't begin to understand, but it's definitely some cool information. I didn't realize Counterspell had that many. I think Lightning Bolt may have taken top spot for now, as it got two new pieces in CLB and another in 2X2.
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
I feel obligated to call out Teferi, Master of Time with 12 unique pieces of art... from a single set. Not that I can tell the difference between any of them. >.>
That was such a weird way to promote a set/card. I can't tell them apart either, and I wasn't particularly enticed to do so.

MaritLage
Catholic Nun

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
This sounds like cool hacker stuff that I couldn't begin to understand, but it's definitely some cool information. I didn't realize Counterspell had that many. I think Lightning Bolt may have taken top spot for now, as it got two new pieces in CLB and another in 2X2.
Sa i love hearing people describe stuff as "Cool hacker stuff" .

If Neon Genesis Kamigawa was any indication , the digital world and Internet culture is clearly influencing the world of Magic . Personally , i use Gatherer so often i only have to type "ga" in the search bar and it auto-populates . artofmtg.com is a good way to find alt-arts as well .
(She/Her) English is not my first language
#███<Good Good AM/PM>__
#███████<In Deed .>__

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”