Official favourite parts of playing Magic thread

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

well, with all of the stores being forced to be closed because of Covid19, I figured I'd start a more positive discussion on what are favourite parts of Magic are and what are favourite memories of playing Magic are.

I'll start. When I first started playing many years ago, I loved seeing all the different cards and how different people built decks.

Nowadays, I love more of the "Gathering" part of Magic. I love hanging out with the friends I've met. I love the grind of competitive Magic. Whether it being playing events at local stores, travelling across the southern part of Ontario Canada going to PPTQs/PTQs/MCQs or whatever the events are at the time or even weekend long events such as GPs/Magic Fests. It's something about travelling with friends and seeing how well we can do at that event. All while trying to improve and sharing the stories. It's a rush I can't get anywhere else.

what about you, what do you love about Magic?what aere your favourite memories? what keeps you coming back?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

first thing that me into this game is the amazing story. Started during Invasion block. Urza the wizard, and Gerrard the hero with the weatherlight crew, fighting against the phyrexian supervillains. Then the story told in playable card form, and I'm set on the journey.

Best memory is when I was a newbie playing with family members and cousins every week during family gatherings. We had tradition of visiting grandma and grandpa in their old house on Sundays, there I meet everyone and we play with cousins after eating lunch.

what keeps me coming back? it's fun, it's that simple. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

I love the story of MTG, especially the early arcs with the Phyrexians. It's so good

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

If there's something I'd like to see become a favorite part of playing Magic, it would have to be being able to sell the same experience outside the Local Game Store (LGS). Magic and other Trading Card Games / Collectible Card Games don't function the same way as traditional board games like Monopoly and Scrabble where most of the focus has always been around the competitive aspect with Organized Play events. Unless you know someone in your family that knows how to play Magic then it's hard to find playgroups or find places to meet outside a Local Game Store without getting in trouble with someone.

Arena and MTGO fails to fill that void for me due to lack of face-to-face social interactions with other players that enhances the gameplay experience even more. One of the biggest reasons why I got out of my video game hobby a long time ago when I did was because I had no one to play with in person and online wasn't as rewarding as sitting next to a group of friends or family members playing a 4 player multiplayer game of Goldeneye or Mario Kart on the N64. I didn't completely get out of video games as I've mostly been stuck on Nintendo handhelds with Pokémon since 2008.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

motleyslayer

I had a playgroup where we'd meet up at my buddy's house several years ago to play EDH and then Pathfinder but that kind of fell through. It was a good group of guys while it lasted but it's super hard to find a group where you can meet up outside an LGS

I've been entrenched in the competitive scene for the past 5 years or so, so I get my social interactions through that. Part of me still misses meeting up at friends houses though but I really enjoy tournaments

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I had no problem finding a "group" since plenty of my cousins played this game, five of them. And then I had two friends who are active in EDH + modern. Although of course now, we're all trapped to our houses due to quarantine..
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

My biggest worry is that once we're able to go back to our own daily lives after the quarantine is lifted I feel as though over time Magic will end up losing what I consider the most important aspect of what makes the game great to begin with and that's the community. If everyone is forced into a digital space just to play Magic then how is that fostering a community? You could be playing against an AI or you're actually online with someone who lives far away from you and you wouldn't be able to directly communicate with other players unless you have some kind of voice chat, Skype, or do live streams on Twitch.

We're slowly witnessing a permanent change in our culture or rather a new normal due to this virus that will feel so foreign to us that it'll make us feel as though society doesn't care about our generation anymore. EDH / Commander reminds us that Magic at it's core is a social game that brings people together at a time where Digital is trying to drive us apart from each other publicly. While we may be the last generation of gamers who will experience this feeling, newer generations of gamers won't be as fortunate as they're being raised differently due to constant changes in our culture and society.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

no need worry about that. Over here we're all excited to play again once things go back to normal.

and I said in another thread. Will never play online magic. It's paper or quit.

As for worries, I'm more worried right now about staying alive, than worrying what happens to the future of a game. But I'm sure paper mtg will survive this.

To keep on topic with the thread.

My other favorit part of mtg are the arts. Wotc has some talented artists that help bring life to the game. My favorites are Raymond Swanland, Terese Neilsem, Svetlin Velinov, Steve Argyle, Daarken, Rebecca Guay... and several others. :)

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

It looks like I'll probably finally be getting to play paper again and see people I haven't seen in months on Friday when I can play some modern at a store. I'm pretty excited to see people and shuffle cards. I've missed the social aspect of it

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

the situation is the reverse in my country. Quarantine has been declared again just yesterday. Now we cannot walk around without any "quarantine pass". Mall stores except for grocery closed, so paper play delayed once more.

to keep on topic with the thread

another thing I like with mtg, is that there are online stores like Starcity Games with friendly staff where I can buy cards easily.

yesterday, I ordered another batch of 45 cards. Some cards are only for fun casual like the dogs and kaheera, and the other cards are for serious play like 3 damping sphere and a playset of crash through for my mono red prowess. I hope they arrive soon. :)

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

the return of paper magic has really reminded me how much I enjoy the social aspect of mtg. I really missed that part during the more lockdown heavy part of covid

oldfama

Post by oldfama » 1 year ago

I play it mainly as something to get lost in. Between all of the cards, decks, formats, interactions, rules and lore there seems to be no shortage of information to absorb and digest.

I also collect old/rare/misprinted cards and use it as a medium through which to meet people face-to-face. It's a creative outlet, it's a competitive outlet, it's a social outlet...it's everything.

____
https://apix-drive.com/en/expertsender
Last edited by oldfama 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

oldfama wrote:
1 year ago
I play it mainly as something to get lost in. Between all of the cards, decks, formats, interactions, rules and lore there seems to be no shortage of information to absorb and digest.

I also collect old/rare/misprinted cards and use it as a medium through which to meet people face-to-face. It's a creative outlet, it's a competitive outlet, it's a social outlet...it's everything.
Well said! And welcome to Nexus!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 1 year ago

oldfama wrote:
1 year ago

____
I truly enjoy mr.bet. I've had the greatest time and wins. I look forward to playing everyday and truly love the various games. I'm so addicted to slots, I will not put the phone down!
there are certainly many interactions, and each set adds new ones. which is great

MaritLage
Catholic Nun
Pronoun: she / her

Post by MaritLage » 1 year ago

Reading some of these comments , reading that they were two years ago yet could have been written last week , it·s refreshing to see people who feel as strongly about playing paper as i do . There·s really nothing like that face-to-face interaction , reading their body language , cracking jokes and announcing my spells with gusto .

----

For me , what keeps me coming back again and again and again is the art . In particular , ever since Kaldheim , which happened to be cotemporaneous with Set Boosters and brand-new full-art cards . Ever since i saw my peoples· culture represented truthfully and justly , it set the bar for how respectfully a culture should be treated .

I·ve got ... *She reaches into her back pocket .* ...fourty-four (tkKoLo) art cards in my pocket , and six (tkSaKh) borderless lands . At $9 a Set Booster , clearly Multiverse News is something that i ascribe value to .
(She/Her) English is not my first language
#███<Good Good AM/PM>__
#███████<In Deed .>__

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 1 year ago

I feel that covid keeping large gatherings apart for so long really made people miss the social aspect of magic. Which is something that playing online can't give you.

Yeah playing online is pretty convenient in terms of playing whenever and not needing to leave your house, but I really enjoy the parts of going out of town and hanging out with buddies, even going out for food after

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”