MTG, the Corona-Virus Pandemic, and future events.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Didn't really know where to put this, but it is kinda important info so.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-03-11

Long story short: WotC are encouraging WPN stores and other event holders to follow the guidelines of the local authorities when it comes to containing the virus, and are for the first time ever, allowing said stores to sell their prerelease stuff for people to take home immediately instead of participating in the event.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

First, it's coronavirus. And there are several strains. You've almost certainly had one or two, unless you've spent your whole life in the jungles of Venezuela and Brazil. (The family also includes the cold and flu.) COVID-19 is the particular strain, which is deadlier, not to 1918 levels, but still...Especially for the usual suspects (the elderly, people with HIV or on chemotherapy or other reasons for immune deficiency). And yes, I have to say it, it came from a %$#%$#% bat, man.

Anyway, I applaud this change. Also, if you're really worried, play MTGO.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

Overall, I wouldn't say I'm overly worried. My only real issue is that I live in the town that is the home of the Air Force base where the Canadian government decided to send people who had been out of Canada and contracted the virus.

I went to a large Face to Face Open a few weeks ago which was kind of worrying but I'm still fine.

Still though, a lot of the Magic fests being cancelled is still a great idea to keep people safe. Also I applaud the decision on prereleases

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

I think we're going to see more Reserve List Buyouts from people who are willing to let go of their private collections to save themselves and their loved ones from being infected by COVID-19. At the same time this is a great opportunity for those who are wanting to acquire these cards on the cheap. The longer these cancellations and quarantines continue to drag on until a vaccine is made the harder it's going to be for everyone affected by this global pandemic.

I'm not sure what kind of impact this will have on the LGS which is already struggling as it is, though it doesn't seem to be as bad as these sanctioned events which have recently been cancelled. Some are doing their best to help keep their customers informed If the current situation changes. I applaud Wizards of the Coast's decision on Pre-Releases as well though I'm a bit worried that it might become the new normal with people still trying to push MTG into a digital space like what we've been seeing with Arena.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Personally I am not particularly worried, despite living in a city with over 100 confirmed cases (Gothenburg, Sweden) and being in one of the risk groups (I am diabetic and have a weakened immune system because of it). But then again, I am not exactly a social person to begin with.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

These precautions are exactly what should be done, despite my chagrin at missing Mystery Pack draft, Ikoria prerelease, and most disappointingly, Letterkenny Live. It has to be done, though. To anyone who would claim that this is an overreaction, you're wrong. Ignorant and wrong.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

fully agree with wotc decision.

I have a cousin who is a doctor, and he explained to us how terrible this disease if you catch it. Two people near my area have already died. And a lockdown is starting today. Also all public gatherings, not just mtg ones, are forbidden as of the moment.

hopefully, a vaccine can be found soon.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
fully agree with wotc decision.

I have a cousin who is a doctor, and he explained to us how terrible this disease if you catch it. Two people near my area have already died. And a lockdown is starting today. Also all public gatherings, not just mtg ones, are forbidden as of the moment.

hopefully, a vaccine can be found soon.
What country/region?

I live in Hampton Roads Seven Cities, VA, USA, home to the largest naval base in the world, not to mention a plethora of every other branch of the U.S. military, and an airport. There's a dozen LCGs within a thirty minute drive from my house (don't be jealous), and so far it's business as usual. A few of us drafted Mystery Boosters just last night. (I opened a Mana Crypt!) The community has accepted that it will be directly and significantly infected effected by coronavirus. The good news is, the area has an exceptional medical presence. I hope for the best.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Philippines. Very near the source of this virus which is China. I would be going undertime to work tomorrow. The situation is serious. The deaths that occured are just 1 km away from my house.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

so the main LGS I go to posted on their facebook page today that they will be closed until further notice to protect their customers from it.

It's probably gonna have a huge void for me because it's also on the way home from work for me, so I might just have to head straight home or find something else to do

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

shopping malls here are now closed. Only supermarkets and drug stores are allowed to be open.

motleyslayer

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
shopping malls here are now closed. Only supermarkets and drug stores are allowed to be open.
I don't know for sure about malls in my exact area but I know malls in the Greater Toronto Area greatly reduced their hours and are only open from 11am-7pm. So I expect malls in other areas to follow suit.

The Magic Fests this weekend were cancelled and I'm expecting more to be cancelled in the future

I'm probably gonna shift more to MTGO in the meanwhile

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

become even worse. Now our office is forced to close. Tomorrow will be the last day until further notice...

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
become even worse. Now our office is forced to close. Tomorrow will be the last day until further notice...
It is unfortunately going to become a lot worse before it gets better. It does not help that the governments of a lot of nations didn't take the threat seriously from the start and took steps to limit it.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

this cake is from China, and now the entire world is suffering for it. sorry, can't help but feel a lot of anger..

my income for the whole month is ruined. Not only monetary loss, the threat of death is present as well.

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 4 years ago

What's truly bothering me is that the chinese authorities covered up the situation when the 1st cases started showing up last December. They did nothing to address the matter when it could have been handled in a responsible manner! Now look at what's happened since then.... what a mess....

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Magiqmaster wrote:
4 years ago
What's truly bothering me is that the chinese authorities covered up the situation when the 1st cases started showing up last December. They did nothing to address the matter when it could have been handled in a responsible manner! Now look at what's happened since then.... what a mess....
We are so focused on our search for truth, we fail to consider how few actually want us to find it. But it is always there, whether we see it or not, whether we choose to or not. The truth doesn't care about our needs or wants. It doesn't care about our governments, our ideologies, our religions. It will lie in wait for all time... Where I once would fear the cost of truth, now I only ask: 'What is the cost of lies?
-Legasov

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

I keep seeing people say that Wizards should be hosting the canceled GP's on Arena, and I originally thought that wouldn't be feasible, but it actually would be possible to half ass one and it would be fun. They could modify any of the constructed events they do to let you play your 8 rounds regardless of record and award prizes at the end of 8 rounds. I'm sure their designers could whip up some cool sleeves as a participation prize and the rest of the rewards could be gems/packs. Since cutting to day 2 and then top 8 would probably be too much effort, they could just run two days of it.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
we are here at home. after a lockdown. Hoping praying the virus does not come to the neighborhood. The danger is very near. I'm beginning to believe the damned conspiracy theory < SNIP >
Don't believe the conspiracy theories. We know the origin (It's a corona virus that is common in certain animals such as Bats and Rodents) that mutated and jumped to humans. It is something that happens all the freaking time. This time it just happened to be really dangerous. Remember, it doesn't make sense for anyone to create a virus that when released would shut down nearly all industry in your own nation.

As for the government coverup, it was done by the local government, and from what I remember reading when it really broke out, Xi was not happy when he learned of it. Of course, it doesn't help that a lot of other nations (and religious/cultural groups) aren't taking the threat seriously. Heck, by the time Italy took it serious, there were infected people in most nations in the world, and they had to shut the whole country down.

This is the Spanish Flu all over again, only this time it had an easier time to spread, but we also have access to better medical tech to counter it.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm not in the mood for arguing either, as the situation here is very tense, everyone frightened like death could come knocking at any moment. What just irks me is some of the first cases happened where their biolab is located = wuhan, so it's natural to conclude they had some hand in this. First SARS in 2003, and now this COVID19. China is a freaking land of pestilence. I can't think anymore to say except cursing them more, so I'll stop now.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Yes, SARS did appear in southern China (Not necessarily Wuhan though), but we have traced and confirmed its origin as coming from Bats originally, via Civets, before infecting humans. It is most likely that COVID-19, being a SARS like virus share a similar origin, as Bats are known to carry multiple corona viruses.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

The vast majority of my locals are closing down their play space and cancelling events until March 31st while their retail space remains open in order to stay in business. I don't think I have to explain why play space is vitally important for the LGS since I've already posted two threads on these forums discussing it. It's not just the mentality of current society pushing us toward a digital space but now Coronavirus as well. Not trying to be rude but it seems to be a harsh truth.

If that's the case then wasn't being asocial what got us here in the first place? Who cares about face-to-face social interaction with other people when parents are raising a generation of kids who'll grow up not knowing what it was like for their parents. The parents of this generation will try to smear it as more of a traumatic experience when it wasn't (at least not all the time). Reminds me of YouTubers who end up posting about Retail Horror Stories.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Card Slinger J wrote:
4 years ago
The vast majority of my locals are closing down their play space and cancelling events until March 31st while their retail space remains open in order to stay in business. I don't think I have to explain why play space is vitally important for the LGS since I've already posted two threads on these forums discussing it. It's not just the mentality of current society pushing us toward a digital space but now Coronavirus as well. Not trying to be rude but it seems to be a harsh truth.

If that's the case then wasn't being asocial what got us here in the first place? Who cares about face-to-face social interaction with other people when parents are raising a generation of kids who'll grow up not knowing what it was like for their parents. The parents of this generation will try to smear it as more of a traumatic experience when it wasn't (at least not all the time). Reminds me of YouTubers who end up posting about Retail Horror Stories.
I see, so people with compromised immune systems doesn't matter to you because it interferes with the social gatherings where you get to play with other people face to face? That sounds incredibly egotistical.
As with all things, this too will pass, just as the Spanish Flu did, and the black death. Difference between now and then is that we now have the medical knowhow to respond properly to this issue and find ways to counteract the disease efficiently. They are already testing both treatments and possible vaccines against the disease. I fully expect the worst to be over by the middle of summer.
As for pushing into the digital space, that is not actually where WotC makes most of their money, they make most of their money selling physical product but offers digital gaming experiences as well because there is a market for it. Some fans of MTG (and D&D) live in places where they can't game with their friends regularly and thus the digital versions offers them a way to keep playing. If you want to support your LGS, then buy product instead of complaining about MTG going digital. Physical MTG isn't going anywhere, we wouldn't be getting the amount of product that we do if it where.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
I see, so people with compromised immune systems doesn't matter to you because it interferes with the social gatherings where you get to play with other people face to face? That sounds incredibly egotistical.
Of course people with compromised immune systems matter to me. How exactly does that interfere with social gatherings of playing against people face to face? I wasn't trying to come off as being egotistical. Because MTG's survival depends on it's community it's also it's own Achilles' heel since newer generations will have different interests from their predecessors to the point where they're not willing to carry the baton for them. We're already at that point where they're not into Physical Media because they never grew up with it to care.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
As with all things, this too will pass, just as the Spanish Flu did, and the black death. Difference between now and then is that we now have the medical knowhow to respond properly to this issue and find ways to counteract the disease efficiently. They are already testing both treatments and possible vaccines against the disease. I fully expect the worst to be over by the middle of summer.
Except at what cost financially? 20-40% of all Local Game Stores (LGS's) involved with MTG are either going to shutdown, go bankrupt, or never open again. We're looking at a quarter or a third of all these small mom-and-pop stores unable to fully recover from this. The U.S. Government is supposedly working on a emergency stimulus package to help bail out these LGS's and small mom-and-pop stores from going under. So whether If it will be enough to weather the storm we're in is anyone's guess at this point.

- Ralph Smart

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Card Slinger J wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Of course people with compromised immune systems matter to me. How exactly does that interfere with social gatherings of playing against people face to face? I wasn't trying to come off as being egotistical. Because MTG's survival depends on it's community it's also it's own Achilles' heel since newer generations will have different interests from their predecessors to the point where they're not willing to carry the baton for them. We're already at that point where they're not into Physical Media because they never grew up with it to care.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Except at what cost financially? 20-40% of all Local Game Stores (LGS's) involved with MTG are either going to shutdown, go bankrupt, or never open again. We're looking at a quarter or a third of all these small mom-and-pop stores unable to fully recover from this. The U.S. Government is supposedly working on a emergency stimulus package to help bail out these LGS's and small mom-and-pop stores from going under. So whether If it will be enough to weather the storm we're in is anyone's guess at this point.
How does it interefere with social gatherings where people can play face to face? This friggin' disease can literally kill people and you are asking that, and you claim you aren't being egotistical`? Wat? There more the disease is spread because people ignore that it is *highly* infections, the more people with compromised immune systems are going to get exposed and FREAKING DIE.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”