Best/Worst card evaluations?

Yawgmoth
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

People are pretty bad at predicting the future and also love giving themselves credit for things in hindsight. This clearly applies to speculations about which new card will be "broken" in or even just playable, often in amusing and sometimes interesting ways.

Reading through old forum posts from the early 2000s has given me a lot of insight into how certain Legacy archetypes developed (in my case Goblins). Some "obvious" card choices were actually very meta dependent in retrospect while other "meh" cards are now staples.

This leads me to this current post. Some predictions about card viability can be laughably bad while others are surprisingly insightful. The fact that some "obvious" cards often take significant time (years+) to recognize gives me a lot of joy. Who knows what overlooked gem might break the game next?

Recently, I remember people comparing Wrenn and Six to Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded. One spiked to over $100, one did not. One is now banned for being too oppressive in one of the most overpowered formats in Magic, one is not.

I recently came across this reddit post from when Urza, Lord High Artificer was spoiled. People were trying to cram him into the Legacy archetype "Antiquities War" and this innocuous post went unnoticed and ignored... lol
He also goes infinite with sword of the meek + foundry and lets you play your whole deck while doing so. I don't think it will be competitive, but it's worth a mention
What are some of the best/worst card predictions you have ever seen?

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5
Pronoun: he / him

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

I remember a few years back on the MTGS forum someone linked back yo the original spoiler post for JtMS and the main response was that the card did not feel so great being fragile and not really impactful... well they got it right :)
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I had a couple buddies who were convinced mistcaller was the blue answer to decks that cheated creatures into play without paying their mana costs. We're they ever wrong

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
I had a couple buddies who were convinced mistcaller was the blue answer to decks that cheated creatures into play without paying their mana costs. We're they ever wrong
When that card came out I WISHED that it was better than it was because putting merfolk back on the board would be cool. Too bad :/

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

Yawgmoth wrote:
4 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
When that card came out I WISHED that it was better than it was because putting merfolk back on the board would be cool. Too bad :/
Both of those people play fish. One of them built it when it actually a budget deck and the other one built it as a pet deck. Even in fish I don't like it all that much but maybe I'm wrong

JaceBluesMaster

Post by JaceBluesMaster » 4 years ago

We can just look at the spoiler season for Eldraine to see all the bad hot takes people had about Oko :D

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

this is exactly my forte.

tarmogoyf will and always will be my worst evaluation. so much so even now i really dont get it.

ill think of others.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”