2019 Holiday Card Exchange (cross-site event with MTGSalvation)

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

Hey everyone! Welcome to the 13th installment of the Holiday card exchange, except that this time is also a first. This is a joint card exchange crossing over between MTGNexus and MTGSalvation this year!

The deadline: December 11, 2019.
The last several exchanges from MTGSalvation can be found here
Show
Hide
Here is an introduction for those of you new to this - or - a refresher for the old timers:

How the exchange works

The premise is simple. First, MTGSalvation and MTGNexus members from all over the world send me personally altered cards. Then, as Christmas approaches, I randomly send their cards to someone else who participated. It's a fun gift exchange that's always a blast.

What do I mean by personally altered? Does that you mean you have to be as good as the people over in the official altered art thread? Not at all! What's important is that you personalize your cards. For example, here are just a handful of cards done over the past few years:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
As you can see, there is a lot of variation in what people choose to do. Featured is wide range of artistic talent, from doodles to full-blown alters. Just make it fun. In general, if you wouldn't be happy with receiving it from somebody else, you should alter it until you would be. :)

How to Participate

Participating is easy! Just send me a PM with your address (on either site), and I'll send you mine back. All you have to do after that is send me your cards along with appropriate packaging and postage to mail your cards along to the next person. After that, just relax and wait for your return package to make its merry way to you. It's that simple!

All participants must have their cards to me by December 11th, 2019. This means I MUST have the cards in hand by this date, NOT that you should mail it by this date.. They will be redistributed and sent off over the weekend, and hopefully everybody will have theirs by December 25th. Please remember to budget enough time for your cards to arrive. For reference, I live in Virginia, USA.

Brand new accounts are excluded to avoid gaming the system. Please don't do it. It will just result in a sad face for both of us.

This event is not sponsored or endorsed by MTGSalvation, MTGNexus, or Wizards of the Coast in any way. It is purely something done for fun by people who love Magic, and is not for for any financial gain or otherwise.

Tips and Checklist

Over the past three years, previous exchange runners saw a lot of cards come through. Here are some recommendations to help make the holiday exchange fun for everybody!
  • Try and modify cool cards. They don't necessarily have to be rares, but it's great when somebody can play the cards they receive in a deck and then tell the story of how they received them! If you are on a budget, think an altered playset of playable commons, an EDH staple, or basic lands are great... as long as it's playable it's cool!
  • Stumped for cards to alter? Try sending cards related to your name, avatar, or signature! That way there's a connection between MTGSalvation and the card's you're altering.
  • What you receive is random and a gift from someone else to you. Regardless of how you feel about the quality of cards you received, please be grateful. After all, it's a gift!
  • Part of the fun is ripping open the package when it finally arrives to see what you received. Do not post the alters you did ahead of time - though vague hints can be fun. ;) We don't want to ruin the surprise!
  • Sending items such as letters, notes, or pictures along with your cards to the other person is not only allowed, but encouraged!
  • You might want to take a picture of your cards before you send them so that you can still show them off if the recipient has no way to upload an image.
  • You may submit as few or as many cards as you would like. Take your time and make some great alters!
IMPORTANT RULES

1. PM me your address, and you'll receive mine back.

2. You absolutely must include a self addressed stamped envelope with enough postage for up to a 6 oz package.

3. In the past, a couple of people have sent extra large/heavy items. This is great, and often these items are very cool! However, if you're going to do this, please include an extra blank envelope that is the appropriate size and/or has the right amount of postage on it to send it on to the next person. Please do include some real cards as well, that way your recipient can still have something to include in a deck!

4. No proxies/fakes, no matter how cool. Sentiments on these vary across the entire range, but MTGSalvation and MTGNexus do not support this practice. While the gift exchange isn't directly affiliated with the sites, let's keep this above the belt for the Holidays. Thanks!

5. If you are an international participant, please tell me in your PM so we can discuss how international shipping will work out best in your case. The US Postal prices have done some crazy things in the last few years, and shipping times may be a concern.

6. Along with your cards and Stamped envelope, please include a slip of paper with your MTGSalvation username. There will be a lot of cards coming in and if I don't know who sent me something, I can't let the recipient know - and it also makes it harder not to accidentally send yours back to you.

Checklist

1. Send me a PM with your address
  2. Check your inbox.
  3. Alter cards!
  4. Write your username on a slip of paper.
  5. Send me your cards, that slip of paper with your username, and a stamped envelope with enough postage to mail your cards, inside another envelope.
  6. Time travel to later in December and check your mail. Enjoy your gift!
Questions?
Please post below.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

In as usual. I think I have some spicy ideas although I may never be able to top last year's Village People as far as pure jokes go.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

I have four cards at the ready!
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

SlavanKGuiser

Post by SlavanKGuiser » 4 years ago

Well, I made an account here. If you don't know who I am, then I pity you. Also, just stopping by to see who could all be participating, :) I got 8 cards out and about waiting for someone's home.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Alright, now that CommandFest DC is over - time for an update!

I have received SEVEN packages so far, and I know of TWO more on the way, which seem to have taken a circuitous route. Adding myself in, there are currently 8(10) participants. I'm going to wait until Wednesday (my typical Magic Night), and then ship off everything on Thursday. Should any other late arrivals come in, I will pair them with each other, to ensure that people get their holiday cards!

Currently, I have received packages from the following users:
  • Void Nothing
  • Mohawk Dan (Salv)
  • Slavan K Guiser (Salv)
  • DeCayNine (Salv)
  • tappwater (Salv)
  • Stoogeslap (Salv)
  • Elemental (Salv)
  • . (+myself)
I am expecting packages to arrive from:
  • Feyd Ruin
  • Henlock (international - may explain the delay)

If your name is not up there, and you sent something, please let me know!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up, and I know that that means I'll probably get my return package next Monday given the shipping time between me and you - seriously cannot wait to see what my exchange partner has come up with and maybe even more so, I can't wait to see the reaction of the person who got my cards.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Letters are sent!

The international package has not arrived yet, sadly, so my own recipient may change. I'm also preparing another set of cards of my own to send, in case that package truly is well lost, so that the person gets something at least. :) (you know who you are!)

In each package, there will also be two pieces of paper - one with the name of who did your cards, and one with "to <your own name>". If the "To <you>" paper is incorrect... something went really really wrong, let me know asap! (though that should not be the case).

Here's the breakdown of who got matched where (spoilered if you'd like to keep who you're receiving from a surprise!):
matchings
Show
Hide
Random numbers were selected based on number of participants left in the pool -1 (cant send to yourself). Names were counted down (skipping self), until match found, and that user was then removed from the pool, making the next rand number 1 smaller, etc.
rand: 7, 4, 5, 2, 6, 4, 2, 2, 1, (last)

bobthefunny
grant1
void_nothing
Mohawkdan 2.0
Slavan K. Guiser
feyd
DeCayNine
tappwater
stoogeslap
Elemental
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>
tappwater
slavan
decaynine
grant1
elemental
stooge
void_nothing
Mohawk Dan
bobthefunny
feyd

grant1

Post by grant1 » 4 years ago

OMG! Every year I don't think my haul can get any better and yet it does! Mohawkdan sent six unbelievably altered cards that fit into 6 of my EDH decks perfectly! He also posted deck lists from the EDH decks he took them from as well as an explanation about the history of the deck and the altered card. Thank you very much Mohawkdan!

Last edited by grant1 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Forgot to post these earlier.
(Family over, holiday festivities, etc).

I love my holiday cards.
Definitely going to try and find some EDH homes for these. ^_^
holiday-cards.jpg
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”