MTG Hot Takes

Arborea
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arborea » 4 years ago

Hot take, at least relative to some comment sections: I like what I've seen of Ikoria. The Godzilla promos are actually an interesting idea, too.

Hot-as-Homer's-Guatemalan-insanity-peppers take: Commander is not really a casual format.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Arborea wrote:
4 years ago
Hot-as-Homer's-Guatemalan-insanity-peppers take: Commander is not really a casual format.
I kinda see what you're getting at, but you suffer the meta you make for yourself; if you don't want Commander to be another arena of known staples and strategies, go low power, stick to your naive theme-decky guns and see who follows!

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I feel that commander is a format where you can easily tune a deck to match your playgroup. It can be extremely competitive or extremely casual depending on how you wanna play

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

Cow31337Killer wrote:
4 years ago
What are some of your personal opinions about Magic that tend to be pretty controversial? Maybe you think that mana burn should come back, or that things were better off before "mythic-rare" was a thing. Maybe you have a radical design philosophy that you believe the R&D should move towards. Or maybe you think Magic as a whole would be better if they started printing crossover sets with Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon.

I'll start with this one: I welcome the death of local game stores. Buying singles online is cheap, easy, and doesn't require me to wait ages for a local shop to get the cards I need in stock. More importantly, I despise the kind of people and environment that these stores attract. I'd much rather hang out with friends and draft or play Commander at home where I don't have to be in a confined space with a bunch of sweaty dudes who haven't discovered soap yet. That's not even bringing up the rampant sexism and gate-keeping that makes just about any woman who steps foot in the place instantly uncomfortable. I understand that some people are very tied to their local store and have had great experiences there, and if that's the case I wish you nothing but the best. All I'm saying is that I won't be shedding any tears when the stores in my area finally bite the dust.
Then explain to me how Magic: the Gathering can survive without the local game store. Don't use Arena or MTGO as a blatant excuse cause I don't buy it. Do you even realize how hard it is to find playgroups outside the local game store let alone any people to play with for that matter? Why do you think showing up to someone's house to play video games is no longer as socially acceptable as it was back in the 80's and 90's? There's just some things that online gaming can't replace and I feel that MTG is one of them and arguably all other Paper Trading Card Games / Collectible Card Games.

It just baffles me how a gaming genre that's built it's entire financial structure on a physical location to play at would completely collapse once the connection is severed. It's not about selling games like the amusement arcade when it's about selling the experience. There's not very many gaming parallels nowadays that come even close other than fighting game tournaments which is something that's very under appreciated at local game stores with play space becoming an issue. I don't think MTG should be pursuing a path to eSports with Arena when Paper Magic live streams are just as good If not better IMO.
Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Wizards should open its own Magic singles online store.
They already did with Secret Lair...sort of.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”