Creature Type Trivia: Throne of Eldraine Edition

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

As part of maintaining the Sporcle quiz in my sig, I often come across useless but fun trivia to share. Throne of Eldraine has been one of the more interesting sets when it comes to creature type shenanigans, so...let's go.

The top five creature types in Throne of Eldraine are:

Human: 60
Knight: 45
Faerie: 17
Noble: 13
Wizard: 8
  • Throne of Eldraine introduces three new creature types: Noble, Warlock, and Peasant. And mouse too, I guess, but it's only on a token.
  • While the set contains 13 nobles, 20 additional creatures from Magic's history have received errata to become nobles, including...
  • Vampire Noble and Faerie Noble, which join the illustrious ranks of Lizard Warrior, Centaur Archer, and Dauthi Jackal, as it's name is exactly the same as its type line. Thanks to [mention]void_nothing[/mention] for inspiring this particular piece of trivia.
  • Creatures that received errata to noble were any creature with 'noble' in the name as a noun (i.e. Stromkirk Noble), and those that denoted royalty or aristocracy (i.e. Brago, King Eternal, Falkenrath Aristocrat, Merfolk Sovereign, etc.)
  • Creatures described as noble, like Noble Banneret and Noble Hierarch did not receive errata (duh).
  • In an example of extreme good fortune, there are exactly as many nobles as horses in MTG, at 33 a pop. So our betters may play polo and galavant and such.
  • Only one creature was errata'd to a warlock, M10's Dread Warlock
  • No creatures were errata'd to peasant, though I really think that several, like Gatstaf Shepherd for instance, should have.
  • Wizards squeak past warriors to reclaim their place as the second most prevalent creature type in all of Magic, a position that will likely flip back and forth for years to come.
  • Throne of Eldraine's four dragons bring the tribe up to 200! May they continue their reign of fiery terror.
  • Eldraine is also home to Magic's first turtle hydra! In fact, there are two for some reason! The adorable Steelbane Hydra and Thunderous Snapper!
Do you have any useless trivia? Would you like to insult my intelligence with your own witty witticisms? Am I taking up valuable forum space with my tomfoolery? Feel free to comment below. And maybe take the quiz and see how you fair.
Last edited by RxPhantom 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

And don't forget Faerie Noble!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Oh yeah! Awesome! Edited!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Can I just say btw that if anyone reading this hasn't tried out the Sporcle quiz, you should absolutely do so, and don't worry about the fact you'll probably fail. I think between three of us we got about 75% on it.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

nice trivia. I didn't realize there were so many knights.

looks like they're really pushing knight tribal with this set.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
nice trivia. I didn't realize there were so many knights.

looks like they're really pushing knight tribal with this set.
It's definitely a heck of a lot, even in a set with a focus on the tribe. Part of it is likely due to the Brawl decks, which are considered to be part of the set.

On a separate note, I think they really missed a few with these new tribes. Goblin King isn't a noble. Mtenda Herder isn't a peasant. I wonder how many others they may have overlooked.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

they even printed a 2 cmc lord for the knight tribe. I guess the mythic knights from m20 were a prelude to all these knightly stuffs. And they even made castle land cards for more flavor.

Hmm... agreed, those should indeed be a noble and a peasant. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”