Basic Lands in Core Sets

SmashPortal
Pronoun: he / him

Post by SmashPortal » 4 years ago

Starting with Sixth Edition, basic lands have had their text ("(: Add .)") replaced with a mana symbol. This confuses a lot of new players, who think that the mana symbols are the same as the basic land types (i.e. red mana is called "Mountain"). I've seen new players struggle over misunderstandings that tapping a Llanowar Elves lets you fetch a Forest from your library. At the same time, they've recently brought back core sets, which are meant to be new-player friendly.

I propose that core sets should print the basic land reminder text on their cards, instead of the the giant mana symbol watermarks. This should help brand new players better understand the role that lands play in Magic.
ImageImageImageImage

Sharpened
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

New players thought Llanowar Elves let you fetch a Forest from your library before basic lands had their text replaced. I don't think going back to the text on basics would significantly reduce confusion. Moreover, I am confident that WotC has looked in depth into issues regarding this.

SquirrelToken
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

When I started playing, I used to tap Dark Ritual for mana. I thought that it was just one of the best mana rocks ever. New players will always be confused, the best way to solve that is not by re-templating the basic lands but by encouraging vets to slowly teach them the game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”