What settings or books would you like to see made into an upcoming UB (Universes Beyond) product?

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

As the title says, are there any universes that you think would fit well for a Universes Beyond product? We are getting Warhammer and Lord of the Rings, which are cool, but what else make for a good potential set in your opinion? For me personally, I think the Fablehaven world by Brandon Mull would translate very well to a UB magic set. The setting, tone, and characters feel like they would fit incredibly well within the existing scope of how Magic sets are designed.

For example, the Fablehaven world has dragons, demons, giants, undead, witches, faeries, centaurs, sphinxes, hydras, trolls, goblins, dwarves and so on and so forth, which are all existing types in Magic. There is even a crucial set of five artifacts that could be a five color cycle of legendary artifacts. Additionally, Fablehaven has the same tone as a lot of magic sets like Eldraine, Kaladesh, and Dominaria. Not to mention, if a set was made, the series has a concept of five incredibly powerful monarchs central to the plot who slot into the five Alara shards perfectly. The adventure mechanic seems great as well for this.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

I kinda find that all fantasy universes run together somewhat... you get like LOTR/Magician on axis X, Conan/Slaine on axis Y and Discworld/Xanth on axis Z and you can plot everything else in that space, more or less. it's still rich and plenty of good writing takes place in that space, but each setting has very little to distinguish it from the others. in my opinion! I still love reading rpg supplements and magazines full of new fantasy world fiction, I'm just saying I'm not hopping up and down to see another be adapted to the cards. the books I read are usually miserable social or eco sci-fi with nary a strapping barbarian whose thews were mighty indeed tbh

so what we need is a WWE set. Add wrestler as a creature type and give them all abilities that say "target wrestler", equipment can be belts, sorceries can be promos, instants can be one big muscle doofus betraying another for no reason, planeswalkers can be those interminable commentators. make sure the art is still by illustrators though. just a natural expansion of that battlebond setting that was all about arena combat, the precedent's there =P =P =P

really i'd like to see non-heroic fantasy stuff. Cyberpunk worlds, something based on paranormal happenings like the Over the Edge, Mythos, X-Files settings. MTG only ever has heroic fantasy, gothic fantasy or historical fantasy and I've seen enough of that forever.

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

I used to play a lot of the Warcraft RTS series as a kid so I'd love that world. I feel that world as a whole is really deep.

Maybe Elder Scrolls or Warhammer Fantasy world too

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Number one, pie in the sky setting, The Legend of Zelda hands down. For one it has everything a set needs: A variety of races and creatures, lore, powerful artifacts and spells, great locations, and amazing legendaries. And you could pretty easily make planeswalkers out of Zelda, Link, Impa and Ganondorf, since they always reincarnate. But lets be honest, we would want them as legendary creatures.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Star Wars, preferably "Old Republic" (with all new characters) for creative latitude. I doubt they'd pass up a chance to print money like Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan-Kenobi, Yoda, etc. But if they did a set based on the most recent trilogy, I wouldn't even play it. I'd prefer a set based on the Star Wars Christmas Special.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

The Vorkosigan universe. That would be extremely interesting to me, but likely not happening.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Neither books or movies, but two games I'd like to see in UB is Fallout (because, come on, Deathclaws are awesome), and Starbound.

If we are going pure fantasy, then the Elder Scrolls franchise would be a good fit.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 2 years ago

How about World of Warcraft?

Jeez, I wasted so much time on that game back in the day (fond memories)...

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Number one, pie in the sky setting, The Legend of Zelda hands down. For one it has everything a set needs: A variety of races and creatures, lore, powerful artifacts and spells, great locations, and amazing legendaries. And you could pretty easily make planeswalkers out of Zelda, Link, Impa and Ganondorf, since they always reincarnate. But lets be honest, we would want them as legendary creatures.
Demise and the three goddesses would make better planeswalkers in my opinion. They are more esoteric entities after all.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Agreed on Elder Scrolls being my most wanted. With the semi-death of Elder Scrolls Legends, the very fun free-to-play mobile card game based on the series, that would be the next best thing in terms of Elder Scrolls as a TCG.

Honestly the two I would have probably initially wished for are the first two UBs, so I'm pleased with that.

Other than that, I'd love to see an Un-set based on Discworld or (less plausibly) Monty Python's Flying Circus and their films.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Other than that, I'd love to see an Un-set based on Discworld or (less plausibly) Monty Python's Flying Circus and their films.
We did get Oathsworn Knight in Throne of Eldrain, which was directly inspired by the black knight.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed that there was no killer rabbit in Eldrain.

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 2 years ago

Having been playing the Pixel Remasters of the first three Final Fantasy titles, and having pretty much every FF and Dragon Quest title between Steam and iOS, this thought occurred to me- a JRPG set.

motleyslayer

I feel that a JRPG set wouldn't be hard to pull off at all, even in a regular expansion. The Final Fantasy IP would be the obvious base as it's probably the most well known but they wouldn't even need to go into other IPs really

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
I feel that a JRPG set wouldn't be hard to pull off at all, even in a regular expansion. The Final Fantasy IP would be the obvious base as it's probably the most well known but they wouldn't even need to go into other IPs really
Honestly, I'd rather see Secret of Mana or Breath of Fire than FF. But if they do make an UB based on FF, I'd prefer V over the others, because the villain is a friggin tree, and it is awesome. It also has a Pirate Princess with a pet sea dragon.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Star Wars is the most enticing, for sure. There is 'magic', multitude of creature types, vehicles, equipment.
I hope one day to crew an X-Wing with Samwise Gamgee, that's all I'm saying.

I also think some animes would lend themselves well.
For example, Fairy Tail, which has humans, demons, dragons, celestials beings, flying cats... a couple vehicles.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

motleyslayer

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
Honestly, I'd rather see Secret of Mana or Breath of Fire than FF. But if they do make an UB based on FF, I'd prefer V over the others, because the villain is a friggin tree, and it is awesome. It also has a Pirate Princess with a pet sea dragon.
I'll look into other IPs for JRPGs as I'm not really familiar with the genre. In terms of FF, In addition to 7 being a good world/really popular, I liked X/X-2 and 12 in terms of world. 12 was great

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
I'll look into other IPs for JRPGs as I'm not really familiar with the genre. In terms of FF, In addition to 7 being a good world/really popular, I liked X/X-2 and 12 in terms of world. 12 was great
I have nothing but bad memories associated with seven. But you can blame the demise and cause of said demise of the old Phyrexia forums for that.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

I adore all teh playstation 1&2 Final Fantasies and am seriously into the art and music of the SNES ones, but I reckon they have their own card game already :)))

from the games in the series I've played, FF9 might be one of the easiest to translate to M:TG because its fairly low-tech and heroic fantasy, and the high-tech elements mostly concern the manufacture of magical weaponry which'd translate well to Equipment and Golems, and airships which are a constant iconic theme throughout the series anyway. FF12's technology is more overt but I guess it'd be second most likely because it's full of fairly good fantasy dialogue and empire vs empire intrigue, plus lots of anthro folk. FFTA takes place in Ivalice too and uses a lot of the same terminology and species of playable characters, but it's a smaller setting with not much scope for legends. FF7 is rather modern and has a climate justice theme Wotc probably wouldn't tackle and FF8 is the same way but with added pain from the anime mercenary school setting.

FFX'd be the best, though. All the world's administrative and religious works and ceremonies being entirely conducted by zombies, humble folk vs monsters, summoners famous throughout the world, realms of dream and cyclical events of life tragedy and death, plus a principal villain who wants to destroy the entire world. that's a magic set lol

motleyslayer

another setting that would be cool to see is the Diablo world, but that might be too similar to Innistrad

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
another setting that would be cool to see is the Diablo world, but that might be too similar to Innistrad
Nah, the Diablo setting, like Dark Souls, is completely FUBAR'ed. There is no light at the end of the tunnel, unlike Innistrad where the powers that be are more interested in the status quo than the end of all things. Diablo is ultimately a nihilistic setting. The first game made it abundantly clear that while you may be able to defeat the evil in the game(s), it will always return, and eventually people fail to stop it and the world ends.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Well, having just seen the first trailer for Matrix: Resurrections, all I have to say is.

I want the Matrix as an UB set, holy shiznit!

karenlarson

Post by karenlarson » 2 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago

I was suggested the same thing while i was in an
mma discord server. It seems like a good idea but i think it would be copyrighted or something

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

karenlarson wrote:
2 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago

I was suggested the same thing while i was in an
mma discord server. It seems like a good idea but i think it would be copyrighted or something
So is Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, and Stranger Things, however, deals can be made which is why we are getting UB products for all three. (And I do believe the Stranger Things one has been released already).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”