post cards with art you love

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

No rules, post a billion if you like. we could discuss what we get from the illustration? Anyway:

been looking through my collection of older cards and found myself captivated by this one. <3
Last edited by folding_music 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

Background engulfed in flames.
Badass dude on horseback wielding searing spear.
Another dude's arm getting sliced off by said spear.
Horse punching another dude in face.
Richard Kane Ferguson

Behold, the majesty of
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

Black Blade Reforged by rfk

this art style activates my imagination. Glad wotc decided to bring rfk back. :grin:
also know that some people don't like this kind of art... but each to their own.
Image.ashx.png
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Oh boy, here we go.

Those are just off the top of my head. Once I figure out how to tag specific basic lands, I'll return with a vengeance.

Edit: Narcissism is probably my favorite of the bunch. I just love how clearly Moeller conveys the dichtomy between our perceptions of ourselves and the reality of our being without beating you over the head with obvious artistic choices. His body of work is just so damn clean.

Edit 2: The growths and the diamond I like a lot because the subjects in the art are all either confused, surprised, or scared by the sudden abundance of mana. Just look how spooked that wizard is by that diamond!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure I didn't read Jorn's card for like two days after he was previewed because I was too busy staring at the art.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

This one never fails to bring a smile to my face. And I laughed for five minutes straight when I first opened it and read what it does.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

That face has always stuck with me even when I first opened this card as a kid.

I ran this in a Daxos the Returned edh deck just to enjoy everyone's reaction to its art.

I am also absolutely in love with dragon card artwork where the dragon is immolating the people that are running away from it. It's a shame all the cards that depict that are absolute trash even by dragon standards.

HendersonSophie

Post by HendersonSophie » 2 years ago

I completely agree with you. I love the theme of dragons, but there are actually no interesting cards! :C

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

I just rediscovered this one. Wow, I love it. Shame it's on a card I'll never want to play, but hats off to the artist.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Draft common, but mythic-level art in my heart.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

giggle I love Mind Bend, it's fun to use it to hack Thrull Wizard.

I've been putting together a league of bad decks only using old cards and this one's gorgeous and weird.

(just wanted to post an illustration I love that isn't from 1995 giggle)

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

I have always loved this art, too bad he is only a mediocre beater.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@Gamazson yo, I love strossus. The art tells such a good little narrative; the elf in the foreground is among those repelling the invasion, vastly outnumbered by twisted, biomechanical troops. And then this thing shows up and the situation goes from unfortunate to unwinnable. The fog of war obscures everything about the strossus except the obvious; it is huge and it is malevolent.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

A lot of these are pretty nostalgia driven. But they're also the cards that got their claws in me deep enough to make me wanna keep playing too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Light drifting down and blending with shadow, moss and ruins, growth and decay wrapped into one package. Now that's how you show what the Golgari represent.
Not to mention super sweet insect/rotting looking cape thing and fantastic staff.
Got be one of my all time favorite cards.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

This is another of my favorites and a real shame I don't play it more. The thing I enjoy most about the art is not the manic wizard scrounging up an answer in the foreground, but the Napolean in the back waiting on this guy and obviously regretting asking the question and/or hating have to rely on the expertise of such a zany character in the first place. It's such a nice touch that he's there, and it adds to a depth to the chaos to see his unexcited reaction.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

@TheAmericanSpirit: +1 for monocle.

The sense of scale on this one has always captivated me. It really evokes a sense of ominous dread. Other hydras are big. Progenitus is all-encompassing. Progenitus is the soul of the %$#%' world!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@RxPhantom

The scake of it reminds me of a tornado. Even from miles away, it is truly mind boggling to see something so colossal that it bridges the sky and the land.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”