Lotus Petal

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

LotusPetal.jpg
This used to be a 3 to 4 dollar card, now it almost doubled in price. What could have caused the rise of this?

Have a playset of them. Sell now or wait for the price to go higher?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
This used to be a 3 to 4 dollar card, now it almost doubled in price. What could have caused the rise of this?

Have a playset of them. Sell now or wait for the price to go higher?
It's always been a solid Legacy playable with zero reprints of note (FTV and MPS don't really move the needle in terms of getting numbers out there). This time last year, I would've said "Sell, sell, sell!", since it's an obvious pick for a Masters reprint. But now the Masters sets are over, and we're getting Horizons sets. I don't know what the next Horizons set will be like, whether it'll be Legacy Horizons (aka Battlebond) or what. However, Petal has had a gradual climb over the years, not a meteoric rise. I'd probably still look to move them (and in fact, three of mine are in my trade binder) because it'll be a long time before they double again and in that time a reprint will crush them.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

It looks like it was ~$4 until shortly before Kaladesh came out, at which point it began slowly rising. My guess would be due to the printing of Paradoxical Outcome rising the value of 0-mana artifacts, but the Masterpiece printing may have also stirred up some interest.

A more significant price slope increase shortly before Dominaria was released. Petal has some synergy with cards that care about Historic - from an EDH perspective, Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle really likes it, for example.

Looking at the price history, appears to be a pretty normal curve for a popular-in-casual card that hasn't been reprinted. I don't think it is a coincidence that the two price increases were around the release of two artifact-friendly sets.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for both the replies. Will move them I guess. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Finance”