Secret Lair: Summer Superdrop

SquirrelToken
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SquirrelToken » 3 years ago

OK, so here's a question over which I've been mulling lately. Should I buy a Secret Lair: Summer Superdrop? Here are some of my pros and cons:

Pros:
I like fetchlands
I like Walking Ballista
I like playing the stained-glass walker lottery

Cons:
$170 is a lot of money
I do not NEED any of these cards

I'm already buying a set and splitting it with some friends, so I get entries in the stained-glass lottery anyway, AND I get the Bolts that I want. I don't get the Ballista, which I do want (and I missed Heart of Steel as an individual drop, which I think I did not want to miss). So, is it worth it to pick up a set for $170 to get a random fetch, five walkers, Walking Ballista (which I can definitely see myself playing), and random "yeah, this card goes in" cards like Eternal Witness, Birds of Paradise, and Blood Artist (can never have enough of those cards)? I am leaning towards "no", but definitely willing to hear arguments.

My financial situation is fine. I'm still employed and I just got a significant raise, so I have Magic budget.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

with the state of paper magic being uncertain in the face of corona. I'm a bit wary of buying anything expensive these days.

but if you really like the stained glass walkers, then go for it. The fetch lands are a solid investment anyway.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

oh man @SquirrelToken im on the same boat as you. well not exactly or whatever but at least the pros and cons

I know its past now. and im sorry I missed this post.

I weighted the pros and cons for myself and I came up with 2 of the (one with ballista).

I just couldn't rationalize the bundle, considering I have probably 6 play sets of bolts and their cost. in 10 years you do you think someone will buy this bolt just cause the art? I don't think I could answer that one in a fiscal enough amount to warrant the purchase. but the bolts didn't speak close to my heart like the Arcbound, and the colossus.

secondly the bundle was not reduced in price at all, it was merely the summation with the land tacked on as the oomph. . .and sadly I didn't want to go into the lottery of gettin one that isn't a misty rainforest

the bird one spoke to me except the dovescape was a complete miss, and only having 1 of those bop didn't seem fair. I have tried dovescape in decks and it didn't play out as fun as it reads.

lastly the one with the eternal witness. . .now this one im thinking I should have purchased 1. I did not realize that eternal witness has a slot in the old pod deck. I was really wanting the ink moth nexus and felt it was worth it just for that. the counterspelll card is also used easily I think. but alas I could not grasp the remainder cards.

next time they need to reduce the bundle and entice with the land. essentially a coupon at your local card pawn shop.

I like the variety and it will be interesting what other drops they make that are the same card with alt art.

I currently only have the small regret of not getting the ink moth drop. those bolts were sexy though

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 3 years ago

I ended up not doing it. I don't like the new art on Ballista, so I think that I'll just wait until they ship and try to scoop up some of the original Ballistae (with better art) for my decks when people dump them in favor of the shiny newness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Finance”