Buying Staples

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

Hello All,

Got the offer to pick up a NM Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Diamond and a LP Chrome Mox, Intuition for right at $500 shipped. Do you think this is a good deal and these cards will hold their value? These will be sleeved and played but I always double sleeve my decks.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

In those conditions it's probably fine, if they're accurate. It's not amazing. Your raw retail prices are about 195/230/50/40, so you're getting about a 15 dollar discount or whatever.

I'd offer 450 for that package personally given the current market. Stuff is still high priced but it's not actually selling as far as I can tell :P

They will probably hold their value fairly well, although LED is on the decline since breach banning. Mox has held ~200 for quite a while so staying power probably there.

Chrome mox is the one that will be 15-20 if it gets reprinted though, so that's where your most exposure is.

That all said no one really knows what the future holds for paper magic post pandemic. I am not buying anything until it's over myself.

SquirrelToken
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
In those conditions it's probably fine, if they're accurate. It's not amazing. Your raw retail prices are about 195/230/50/40, so you're getting about a 15 dollar discount or whatever.

I'd offer 450 for that package personally given the current market. Stuff is still high priced but it's not actually selling as far as I can tell :P

They will probably hold their value fairly well, although LED is on the decline since breach banning. Mox has held ~200 for quite a while so staying power probably there.

Chrome mox is the one that will be 15-20 if it gets reprinted though, so that's where your most exposure is.

That all said no one really knows what the future holds for paper magic post pandemic. I am not buying anything until it's over myself.
LED is an amazing card that gets even stupider with Companion. I don't see its post-Breach correction falling too far. Absolutely concur with Mox dropping to $15 with another reprint.

It's a fair deal, OP. Not a great one, but a fair one. If you need all those cards for decks, go for it!

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

SquirrelToken wrote:
4 years ago

LED is an amazing card that gets even stupider with Companion. I don't see its post-Breach correction falling too far. Absolutely concur with Mox dropping to $15 with another reprint.

It's a fair deal, OP. Not a great one, but a fair one. If you need all those cards for decks, go for it!
LED sold listings on ebay are in the 120s as recently as Feb. Indicates very soft demand to me. Some recently selling under 150.

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
LED sold listings on ebay are in the 120s as recently as Feb. Indicates very soft demand to me. Some recently selling under 150.
February is after the Breach ban and before Lurrus was spoiled. Plus, as you mentioned, the pandemic is really throwing a monkey wrench into the works.

I think that we're mostly in agreement and just fiddling over details at this point (which is the best way to debate).

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

@SquirrelToken @pokken
Thank you both. I got the LED for right at $150, and picked up the other 3 cards for a total of $320. Even though it has been a couple weeks, LED is currently at $236 tcg market, so I think I got a good deal there. Diamond and Intuition will hold there value I think, and I agree, most of the risk was in Chrome Mox. However, I essentially got that card for free (at the time Diamond was at $280,now over $300) with the cost of the total package.

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 3 years ago

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
SquirrelToken pokken
Thank you both. I got the LED for right at $150, and picked up the other 3 cards for a total of $320. Even though it has been a couple weeks, LED is currently at $236 tcg market, so I think I got a good deal there. Diamond and Intuition will hold there value I think, and I agree, most of the risk was in Chrome Mox. However, I essentially got that card for free (at the time Diamond was at $280,now over $300) with the cost of the total package.
Hindsight says ... great pickup. Both Mox Diamond and Chrome Mox are pretty hot right now. I'd probably look at flipping that Chrome Mox sooner rather than later, and if you can do that then you'll have gotten a really nice discount on your RL staples. Lurrus ban indicates that yes, LED will probably get soft again, but it also says to me that WOTC is completely unafraid to print new cards that have STUPID powerful interactions with LED.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

I think it depends heavily on what formats and how you want to play them. LED is something that for commander you will incredibly rarely use. I have found one use for it ever outside of infinite combos for commander. Personally, its something I wouldn't pick up unless I have a reason to pick it up. I can't even remember if its legal in Legacy or if its just vintage offhand but I would personally say that LED being a big portion of the worth of that package that I would avoid it unless you plan to have a use for the LED. The other cards can all be used in commander assuming you want some high powered cards but I think LED is still incredibly narrow even if you want to get into combo tactics.

EDIT: but it looks like you already bought the stuff so my post is irrelevant.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I think it depends heavily on what formats and how you want to play them. LED is something that for commander you will incredibly rarely use. I have found one use for it ever outside of infinite combos for commander. Personally, its something I wouldn't pick up unless I have a reason to pick it up. I can't even remember if its legal in Legacy or if its just vintage offhand but I would personally say that LED being a big portion of the worth of that package that I would avoid it unless you plan to have a use for the LED. The other cards can all be used in commander assuming you want some high powered cards but I think LED is still incredibly narrow even if you want to get into combo tactics.

EDIT: but it looks like you already bought the stuff so my post is irrelevant.
Commander is the only format I'm playing, and I'm running breach combo in two decks right now, meaning...LED is a great pickup.

@SquirrelToken I feel like I should keep the mox. I have enough decks that would/do make use of it that it is nice to have a copy. If I had more than 1, I would not be afraid to move it.

Casters Master

Post by Casters Master » 3 years ago

Looking for suggestions for buying a Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale now days? I was seeing prices in 2013 around $350, and today on eBay for example it's between $1,000-$1,700 (big ouch). My goal in a card like this would be both as a collection piece and for use as a legit proxy in my Azorius Grand Arbiter Aug IV Commander deck.
(My first post!^-^)

SquirrelToken

Casters Master wrote:
3 years ago
Looking for suggestions for buying a Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale now days? I was seeing prices in 2013 around $350, and today on eBay for example it's between $1,000-$1,700 (big ouch). My goal in a card like this would be both as a collection piece and for use as a legit proxy in my Azorius Grand Arbiter Aug IV Commander deck.
(My first post!^-^)
Welcome to Nexus!

I too wish that I'd bought in when I first saw a copy (it was $17). Tabernacle is a solid $1500 card these days if you're looking at Italian, and $1800-$2000 for an English copy. Unfortunately, I don't have any great secrets for where to find one on the cheap. There's a Facebook group for "sick deals", but that's very much at your own risk. Now's a pretty good time to look, since people might be willing to convert a high-end card into a mortgage payment or a rent payment.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

im not sure im one to speak but I am one to promote the conversation.

as someone who wants all the cards. ill say this, nothing beats an original print.

I think (if I may) that you fear that this card could see a reprint, thus depleting your investment.

so is there any speculation that this card will see a reprint ever?

now, if you have the money, then do it. the fun, glee, and confidence it will give you (in the game of magic) will not. . .rather cannot. . .be measured in money, if it could it would definitely be 42. anyway I don't hear anything in your comment that says you won't love it.

and then I can't wait to find out the staple you want after this!!

SquirrelToken

The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago
Tabernacle is reserve list. Barring a MAJOR shift in policy, we'll never see a reprint.

Casters Master

SquirrelToken wrote:
3 years ago
The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago
Tabernacle is reserve list. Barring a MAJOR shift in policy, we'll never see a reprint.
So with this in mind, in the next five years I likely will not be pursuing a Tabernacle. At the $2,000 price point and being reserved list card, this card is a staple, an investment, and a piece of TCG art. For example, I would not feel comfortable spending money unless cards at this price point are 100% authenticated, graded, and most reasonably in a protected case. Like a trade show or LGS owner in combination with an established relationship would convince me to trust a purchase.

The N82O Molecule

@Casters Master
I think what your saying is you WILL seek this card because its a staple, on the reserved list and is a great magic card.

yes, you make sure that thing is authenticated, blue booked, carfaxed, and all that. then you take it home and hang it just next to where you hung your family portrait. then you proxy it into the deck your supposing and all of a sudden we have to pay 1 just to hang out with you.

on another note id like to bring up a something.

Noble Hierarch I need like 5 copies. is now the best time (as the longer I wait to more the cost) or is there rumor of more printings?

Casters Master

The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago
on another note id like to bring up a something.

Noble Hierarch I need like 5 copies. is now the best time (as the longer I wait to more the cost) or is there rumor of more printings?
If there is a chance soon, it will be in the Double Masters set coming in August 2020! My LGS owner confirmed that set release, without a specific date. It'll be an expensive booster, so unsure how that helps a few reprints but it should do similar to previous Masters sets.

Casters Master

Just because I put aside finding a Tabernacle for now did not preclude me from finding other staples recently. Picked up a In the Eye of Chaos $110 Beckett graded 9 overall sealed in the graded case and a play set of Force of Will $400. Was that way over priced or so-so?

The N82O Molecule

looking at prices (today like right meow) I think your in the clear for the eye. you can get a few lower prices but that grading means a lot. and im starting to think you have a deck that your friends probably do not enjoy playing. haha

now force of will. . .this is a classic staple. . .and I would ask why you would not think that it will be printed in double masters. if your going for a specific print then I think your fine. but here's why, cause when they print force of will again, the card will already be 100+ dollars or in this case, a printing doesn't bring the price down, but rather the inverse opposite (or something) (in all my time ive only come across 1 fow, an alliances print, and the pressure of not having 4 has kept me from the realm of modern since its birth)(yes I have other modern decks but no blue ones)

force and (similar for me) noble. . .this is what I fear, that there is no wrong time to buy a staple cause the prices will never go down and a deal is a deal (they are out there) when-ever if-ever they print these cards the wanted effect never happens. it doesn't help they put these cards at the maximum rare so the print quantity is already low, then if that set didn't sell?

why can't wizards just get all the players all the cards?

Casters Master

I did end up with Alliances Force of Will, so 3 absolute NM and 1 VG for how old they are with only very slight edge nicks. So they are the original print run of Force of Will. I'm not sure they'll be reprinted in Double Masters, but even if they are they are 4 like mint original copies so I went for it with prices for these around $100 for a couple years. I do have a STAX Commander deck, but my playgroup I'm learning is rather ruthless and is anything goes where a few people have t3 t4 win combos built. So ordinarily say at my LGS yes, the STAX deck is "not fun" to play against and deserves a conversation and table approval.

The N82O Molecule

in these trying times I look to try and keep spending the same as I have always been on magic and magic related things. and it seems now is my time to try and fill old holes in decks that I have been trying to build over the years. staples are the hardest to rationalize because they cost so much on a individual basis, you know, its not 20 for a playlet. . .etc as you already know

I haven't quite got myself to be able to purchase 100$ plus singleton cards. don't want to go all barenaked ladies but if I had a million dollars

if you got og printings of fow for 100$ I think that's good business.

I like building degenerate decks. . .having them is enough for me haha

SquirrelToken

The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago
Double Masters reprint confirmed.

The N82O Molecule

yes thanks @SquirrelToken im excited, ill hope to grab about 7 of them hahahaha

this double masters is really going all out on the reprints. there are a lot of rares and mythic I would like to open, some for the first time. idk about the price point but. . .

SquirrelToken

The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago
this double masters is really going all out on the reprints. there are a lot of rares and mythic I would like to open, some for the first time. idk about the price point but. . .
Yeah, I'm not going to buy any sealed product at this price point (if the box toppers had been foil, maybe). I'll do the same thing that I did with UMA, and A25, and IMA - sit back and wait for reprints to crush prices, then scoop up what I need (and what has amazing new art). I've got my fingers crossed that Wrenn and Six gets that last planeswalker slot (it's 2x the characters on one card! How could it not be in 2x Masters?).

Casters Master

I am going to have to hold my Alliances FOWs for 10 years now, hoping they won't get reprinted. I guess the Alliances print isn't below $100 technically, but it likely will drop some or stay at that mark for quite some time. Lucky I wanted to play the card too, so at least my commander proxy is backed like the dollar used to be, with the real deal gold standard.

SquirrelToken

Casters Master wrote:
3 years ago
I am going to have to hold my Alliances FOWs for 10 years now, hoping they won't get reprinted. I guess the Alliances print isn't below $100 technically, but it likely will drop some or stay at that mark for quite some time. Lucky I wanted to play the card too, so at least my commander proxy is backed like the dollar used to be, with the real deal gold standard.
I can both guarantee that Force of Will WILL be reprinted in the next ten years (likely in 3-5), and I can guarantee that it will have new and different art, and that your Alliances art will never be reprinted in those ten years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Finance”