Pioneer

SquirrelToken
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

Pioneer was just announced, and a number of cards spiked. Anyone want to ask questions, or discuss whether a card is good enough to actually merit its hype?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

hmm, I noticed Hangarback Walker spiked a little.

Saheeli Rai is back ot being a 10 dollar card. Last year I checked she was down to 4 dollars each.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

can I rather ask this question here?
are there any rares that don't go through "the treatment" when they are first introduced? (by "the treatment" I mean a rigorous deck process and essentially a weening of cards that aren't powerful, thus leaving a "pile" of cards that are "viable" and "not viable")

I ask because with pioneer it implies a new search for gold, but is there gold to be found? how many veins

I believe strongly that there are strategies not discovered but I honestly think that the community of deck builders does a thorough job of finding out whats good and what is not

I want to say that there is a "place to invest" but where? besides reinvesting in obvious cards (say abzan deck with voice, siege rhino, etc)

otherwise now is the time to dump top cards, specifically cards that have the ban banner over their heads. and then rebuy them after they drop with banning

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

There is always money to be made buying low and selling high, rebuying if needed when the price cools.
Pioneer represents a number of opportunities, but it is important to be ahead of the curve, buying in early- prior to the announcement- or vastly behind it- the kind of person who does nothing but store cards in a shoebox for five years and then digs them out. The place you don't want to be is where everybody else is. Ban talk will make things volatile, potential bans will be factored into prices.

All the good decks will rise through events, money will be made by selling the cards on the way up,
Already the fast lands in BG are more expensive than their cousins.

My feeling is the format will suck a little of Modern's oxygen- Legacy has little to give- and if you are in the unenviable position of needing to buy cards for the format, doing so now is not a bad idea as prices at the top end will rise as the format crystalises, bans aside. Perhaps if you are the sort of person with 4 modern decks, then selling one of them you don't use much and buying two or three suites of cards for Pioneer is not a bad plan. Some if not all boats have sailed for Pioneer, but there are still a few cards that should rise here and there. Do not buy in and expect wholesale gains and good deals (for those with an eye) a la the original Modern- there are no 3 dollar fetches to be had selling 30 dollar shocks as happened at the start of Modern.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

I'm seeing very large price increases on bgx cards like Grim Flayer, Tireless Tracker, and espescially thoughtseize.

Surprisingly, History of Benalia is increasing in price again. From mere cents, it's back to 3 dollars.

Monastery Swiftspear increased a bit as well.

Looks like people are speculating on a lot of cards.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Finance”